• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Law & Havens Destroy Your Hopes

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

They believe 6 of the 9 spots in the lineup aren't fit to start for most teams - including Rendon who Law believes is done.  No mention at all was made of the pitching.

interesting.  Personally think Rendon is gonna have a really good season and feel Ward is legit.  The rest of the lineup is good not great but certainly worthy of being a 6-9 for most other teams.  I can see how someone would look overall and see that they're missing one more star caliber bat.  But that would make this offense truly elite.  Right now I see that when healthy, we could easily have 4 of the top 30 bats in terms of wRC+.  Then three more guys who could settle into the top 60.  And then there's Rengifo who will probably be at least league avg as your 8th best hitter?  Leaving really only Fletcher and the C position where guys who are going to get meaningful at bats will possibly be below average and they are defense first.  

Seems to be a pretty sloppy and uneducated take.  And then not even mentioning the rotation?  

I guess there's an argument that they could have done more, spent more, traded more.  Where it could be enough yet the team is at a point where you just say screw future generations and just go all in for the next two years.  But I am very bullish on the depth approach and think it's gonna work as long as payroll continues to stay at or even go above where it currently sits.  

11 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Not really concerned with what Keith Law thinks of the Angels lineup. He's wrong way more than he's right. 

There was a time when Law was good. But then he became a food snob (and talked about it like anyone would give a shit) and started to criticize clubs for their approach rather than evaluating prospects. At that point, he clearly was out of his depth. He kind of reminds me of a lot of Mel Kiper -- was good once, but then his name blew up and he became lazy in his evaluations. 

I'm sorry but their Rendon take is laughable. Has he been hurt? Yes. Is it possible he gets hurt again? Yes. But being done? No. This is already year 4/7 but he's still an elite defender, and his offense was league average while hurt, and struggling.

Do I like everyone on the team? No.

But given the budget and the 3 x 30+M stars on offense, how differently would you do the other 6 positions and bench?

-Walsh was injured, and struggled in his sophomore season, that happens. They got a backup, I would've tried to get a better RH platoon first baseman, but they got Urshela and Drury. You weren't gonna get Jose Abreu, so Drury is fine. Would I have preferred Mancini to Drury? Prob. Or I would've gotten a better OF than Phillips  and told Ward to prepare to play 60 games at 1st.

-At second, Rengifo was ok, but you're probably moving him to short, and going with an Urshela / Drury Platoon. That's fine. I suppose you could've traded for Wong. Is that an upgrade? I don't think so. There really aren't any other solid FA or trade targets at this position. And Neto probably takes a MINF job next year, which one is to be determined.

-At short, Fletcher and Rengifo is ok. It's not great. Had they spent a ton on a FA SS, they'd have been significantly over their current budget, but maybe they should've traded for someone. 

-in the OF, Ward was among the best hitters in baseball for half of last season. More than half. Let him play. He's cheap and effective. Renfroe takes over in RF and he's been a power hitter at all of the recent stops, and Renfroe is a better defender in RF, So Ward will go to LF. I don't know if there was a better OF bat available for the money. Better than going with Moniak and Adell.

And at C, they have Stassi who was a top C in 2021, and slumped in 2022, but Prospect Logan O'Hoppe will be up by midseason.

What should they have done differently?

15 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Not really concerned with what Keith Law thinks of the Angels lineup. He's wrong way more than he's right. 

Even on the rare occasion when he is right... he can be a dick about it.

21 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

They believe 6 of the 9 spots in the lineup aren't fit to start for most teams - including Rendon who Law believes is done.  No mention at all was made of the pitching.

That is purely idiotic. Is it an all-star team? Of course not. But unlike some past years, the Angels didn't overpay for an aging free agent whose production would collapse upon arrival.

Could give a crap what the so called experts say or think, screw them. 
I’m happy with the off-season additions it’s more than they’ve done last couple of years. 
Not to mention some of the up and coming talent in the minors. 
Sure would have loved a Shortstop and another backend arm for the bullpen but nonetheless they’ve improved. 
At the end of the day I’m more excited and encouraged for the upcoming season than I’ve been in awhile. 

Hey and it looks and sounds like we have pretty good Play by play announcer too, that should definitely help make the season better too! 

On 1/26/2023 at 2:16 AM, Docwaukee said:

interesting.  Personally think Rendon is gonna have a really good season and feel Ward is legit.  The rest of the lineup is good not great but certainly worthy of being a 6-9 for most other teams.  I can see how someone would look overall and see that they're missing one more star caliber bat.  But that would make this offense truly elite.  Right now I see that when healthy, we could easily have 4 of the top 30 bats in terms of wRC+.  Then three more guys who could settle into the top 60.  And then there's Rengifo who will probably be at least league avg as your 8th best hitter?  Leaving really only Fletcher and the C position where guys who are going to get meaningful at bats will possibly be below average and they are defense first.  

Seems to be a pretty sloppy and uneducated take.  And then not even mentioning the rotation?  

I guess there's an argument that they could have done more, spent more, traded more.  Where it could be enough yet the team is at a point where you just say screw future generations and just go all in for the next two years.  But I am very bullish on the depth approach and think it's gonna work as long as payroll continues to stay at or even go above where it currently sits.  

It was a pretty lazy take. "The Halos are always bad so they'll be bad again" type of thing.  Honestly it came across exactly like the typical casual fan.  Law is a prospect guy, stuff like this makes it easy to discount his opinions outside of that arena.

Im sure we will see plenty of other national guys hold a similar view, most still think the pitching was bad last year.

On 1/25/2023 at 8:16 PM, Inside Pitch said:

On most days the 6/7 spots will be occupied by two of Drury/Walsh/Urshela. There’s nothing wrong with that.
Last two spots C & SS - Rengifo is terrific vs LHP, Fletcher can be as well. Will concede it’s a weakness vs RHP. Catcher is a wild card - O’Hoppe projects to be fantastic, Stassi has been good before his terrible 2022.
This over the top negativity feels like willful ignorance