• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-draft-2023?t=mlb-draft-coverage

11. Angels: Brayden Taylor, 3B, TCU
The Angels have gone the college route in the first round over the last four routes and took shortstop Zach Neto in 2022. Now they can add an advanced college bat at third to fill out their future left side of the infield with Taylor, who has an advanced approach and enough pop for an infield corner.

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I have no problem drafting a college 3rd baseman or possibly a college outfielder.  

Yeah, I know the usual saying is to not draft for need, but given the utter lack of talent in the system in the OF, I sure wouldn't mind adding some to the mix.

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

Will Sanders or Tanner Witt.  Pitching is the capital of baseball today.  If you have it, you can trade for what improves the rest of your ballclub.  

I'd be happy with another draft of 20 rounds of nothing but power arms.  

Exactly. Elite products, position players or pitchers are equally as valuable. But that equitable comparison ends right there. By the time you're talking about utility infielders versus back end starters, the scale of value heavily favors pitchers. 

Teams know that there are plenty of "Joe Ryan" type of starting pitchers out there that can be used to acquire value and equally, teams are willing to take a chance on these Joe Ryan type starters because statistically speaking, the likelihood of them becoming something of value is still high. Some exceed expectations and become mid rotation starters. Some are back end guys, which every team needs. Some don't quite pan out but still become effective relievers. 

You draft as many pitchers as possible, and then as they get closer to the major leagues, you figure out who you can't live without, and you use the rest trip acquire what you need. 

Draft pitchers. 

If my math is right, this might end up being a deeper draft for college players because it's the Junior season of the guys that normally would have been taken in that 5 rounder in 2020.  I also have to think that some really good players slipped through to college due to the lack of ability to scout.  

Anyway, I think there will be a few advanced college bats available at 11.  Not sure what that looks like yet consider the season doesn't start for a couple months.  I wonder if they target a player with a similar profile.  Someone with really really good bat to ball skills and some power potential at a premium position.  Maybe from a smaller school or lesser conference again.   

Based on that, I'm kinda diggin' on Jacob Wilson.  GCU (Salmon and the other dude that doesn't deserve a mention), major league bloodlines, and probably considered the best bat to ball skills in the draft so far.  I'm not convinced he'll make it to us though.  

35 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

If my math is right, this might end up being a deeper draft for college players because it's the Junior season of the guys that normally would have been taken in that 5 rounder in 2020.  I also have to think that some really good players slipped through to college due to the lack of ability to scout.  

Anyway, I think there will be a few advanced college bats available at 11.  Not sure what that looks like yet consider the season doesn't start for a couple months.  I wonder if they target a player with a similar profile.  Someone with really really good bat to ball skills and some power potential at a premium position.  Maybe from a smaller school or lesser conference again.   

Based on that, I'm kinda diggin' on Jacob Wilson.  GCU (Salmon and the other dude that doesn't deserve a mention), major league bloodlines, and probably considered the best bat to ball skills in the draft so far.  I'm not convinced he'll make it to us though.  

Jacob Wilson is LEGIT. He may rival Crews as the best position player in the draft.

Edited by Second Base

21 hours ago, Second Base said:

Collegiate 3B drafted in our best the first round tend to actually have a decent outcome, historically. Without knowing anything about the kid, it sounds like a worthwhile investment. 

I'd still go with pitching though, unless there's clearly someone you can't pass on. 

Just looking at his stats , he has more BBs than Ks so that is a good thing 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:21 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Same here, Rendon could need to be moved to 1B full time by around 2025.

Yeah.  I mean realistically, even if they drafted a 3B, the draft takes place in mid July, so I imagine the earliest we would see a 1st round 3B reach the majors would be mid-late 2025?

Rendon has 4 years left, and if he's terrible by the last year, he could always be released that final year anyway.  I would say now would be fine in terms of drafting a 3B.

I am not really a "draft for need" person, but I do think this team needs to continue to rebuild its offensive pipeline.  3B definitely needs help, but I think OF is maybe even a greater priority - there are 3 spots to fill, and we don't really have much talent in terms of OF talent in the upcoming years.  But either way, a 3B or OF, I'd be happy.  I wouldn't really even mind a SS either - a lot of teams seem to draft guys who *CAN* play SS, but then eventually move off of it and become very good defenders at their new position.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

There is OF talent in the system.

Only problem is, almost all of it is in DSL, ACL, and A ball.

This is why I would look into drafting an OF possibly in the 1st round.  A college bat should be more advanced than our current batch of OF prospects.  We have Trout and Ward, but given it takes a few years for prospects to develop, it would seem worthwhile to draft an OF that can play CF, as Trout can't man that position forever.  Maybe one that can be ready around 2025-2026, as I doubt Trout will continue to play effectively out there by that time.

I love mock drafts so here's one I stumbled across for the 2023 draft.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-mock-draft-n78w7-st9r4-wa35p-2n5ls-8addg-ed27s

Has us taking Hurtson Waldrep, a pitcher out for Florida.

11. Los Angeles Angels

Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Florida

Waldrep, a transfer from Southern Miss, is a bulldog on the mound with an intimidating presence and the pure stuff to back it up. It’s a double-plus fastball, up to 98 with big ride and significant bat-missing qualities. He offers a mid-80s slider with two-plane break and tunnel that’s given righties fits. There’s a solid average changeup in there too, though he’s yet to really unleash it with much regularity. The Angels need pitching and this would be a big get.

2 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

Whoa! Sorry for the size of the write up. If I fix it to small its too smal.

My bad!

I sorta fixed it.  The narrative that the Angels NEED pitching needs to change.  Would more pitching be an asset to the org?  Probably.  But they're in a spot to consider BPA for their first round draft choice.  Frankly, I would prefer they always go BPA and let things sort themselves out.