• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

In their last mock draft update, both of MLB.com's guys have the Angels taking Matt Thaiss 2.0:

https://www.mlb.com/news/final-mlb-mock-draft-2023?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Where are they going to play Teel?  
3B a lot of the time and move Rendon to 1B?

O’Hoppe figures to catch upwards of 3/4 of the games for the next several years.

Teel gets good marks for arm/athleticism, baseball IQ, and leadership on the field.   Power is maybe there, does have good plate discipline.

Edited by Angel Oracle

23 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Where are they going to play Teel?  
3B a lot of the time and move Rendon to 1B?

O’Hoppe figures to catch upwards of 3/4 of the games for the next several years.

Teel gets good marks for arm/athleticism, baseball IQ, and leadership on the field.   Power is maybe there, does have good plate discipline.

Teel has never played 3B. Doesn't mean they can't convert him, of course.  But I'm hoping they go in another direction. 

I'm hoping the Angels stay away from Teel and Schanuel. Teel doesn't blow me away as a prospect and gets bumped up in the rankings because he's a catcher. The Angels can find catchers later in the draft who can become a major leaguer.

Schanuel barely hit 200 with a 250 slugging in the Cape Cod league last summer. For a 1b only prospect, his hit tool has to absolutely translate to the big leagues. Just a lot of uncertainty there because you can't just be able to draw walks, it's less of a gamble when a good hitting prospect can show he can impact the ball consistently with a wood bat.

That being said I'd like to promote Teel, Gonzalez, Schanuel, Nimmala, and Meyer to all the teams drafting in the top ten. They are absolutely the best picks for you. 

That will leave the Angels with Matt Shaw, Lowder, or Dollander to choose from.

I think Perry will draft someone we aren’t expecting at 11.  In his two drafts he drafted Sam Bachman, who @Second Base had us drafting. But then last year not a living soul, outside of Perry, had us drafting Neto and he’s been a hit. Unless someone falls in our lap I’m thinking they’ll draft someone that isn’t talked about as much but once the selection is made it’ll instantly make since. 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think Perry will draft someone we aren’t expecting at 11.  In his two drafts he drafted Sam Bachman, who @Second Base had us drafting. But then last year not a living soul, outside of Perry, had us drafting Neto and he’s been a hit. Unless someone falls in our lap I’m thinking they’ll draft someone that isn’t talked about as much but once the selection is made it’ll instantly make since. 

You may be right, but it’s easier to predict this year after having seen what they valued in a college bat last year with Neto (and even their subsequent picks later)

Last year, we had zero data points for what the Minasian front office valued in hitters because they had drafted 20 pitchers in their only draft.

If they do go that route of drafting someone we aren’t expecting, I think it‘d be Tommy Troy. He’s a college hitter who was good on the Cape, would be an under-slot option, and is close to the majors.

It might actually be harder to predict given the number of quality collegiate options that otherwise wouldn't be present. A couple years ago, I was told Bachman and it made sense given the limited available information and options. 

These same people I'm talking to today have given me Nobel Meyer, Jacob Gonzalez, Chase Dollander, Johnny Farmelo, Matt Shaw, Bryce Eldridge....

Again, my hope is Dollander or Lowder, but my guess based on what is likely to transpire is Jacob Gonzalez.  My personal favorite (outside ot the top 5) is Matt Shaw at the collegiate level, and Aiden Miller at the prep level. I just don't see it going down like that. 

Edited by Second Base

What do the pundits think of Noble Meyer, if he's there?

Kid sounds legit! His name has a ring of good ballplayer to it.

Is the organization to needy and impatient to take a prep pitcher in the first?

He's a Jesuit from Portland!

My Mock Draft:

1. Pirates - RHP Paul Skenes

2. Nationals - OF Dylan Crews

3. Tigers - OF Wyatt Langford

4. Rangers - OF Walker Jenkins

5. Twins - C Kyle Teel

6. Athletics - OF Max Clark

7. Reds - RHP Chase Dollander

8. Royals - RHP Nobel Meyer

9. Rockies - RHP Rhett Lowder

10. Marlins - 3B Brayden Taylor

11. Angels - IF Jacob Gonzalez

12. D-Backs - RHP Hurston Waldrep

13. Cubs - OF Chase Davis

14. Red Sox - IF Tommy Troy

15. White Sox - 3B Yohandy Molares

16. Giants - IF Matt Shaw

17. Orioles - 3B Aiden Miller

18. Brewers - C Blake Mitchell

19. Rays - 1B Nolan Schanuel

20. Blue Jays - LHP Thomas White

21. Cardinals - SS Jacob Wilson

22. Mariners - IF Colt Emerson

23. Guardians - 3B Brock Wilken

24. Braves - TWP Bryce Eldridge

25. Padres - OF Enrique Bradfield Jr. 

26. Yankees - SS Sammy Stafura

27. Phillies - RHP Charlee Soto

28. Astros - C/1B Ralphy Velazquez

29. Mariners - IF George Lombard Jr. 

30. Mariners - OF Jack Hurley

31. Rays - OF Johnny Farmelo

32. Mets - IF Kevin McGonigle

33. Brewers - IF Walker Martin

34. Twins - OF Dillon Head

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I kind of want Bryce Eldridge. I really hope that they don't go for a boring high floor low ceiling college type (e.g. Seth Etherton), unless there's significant upside (e.g. not Seth Etherton).

I'd lose my mind. In a good way. Just blew the draft rankings away with that pick. Eldridge and Miller, I really like as preps, beyond Jenkins and Clark. Farmelo and Velasquez too.