• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

On 5/21/2023 at 10:10 AM, Second Base said:

Talking to a scout contact of mine, the Angels are very high on Jack Hurley, an outfielder from Virginia Tech. 

Hurley is still available. Only 9 picks away.

Could they have agreed to a deal with the savings from Schanuel?

21 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Am I missing something? Why would they go over slot for someone like Hurley? He doesn't have a ton of leverage.  Sure, he could go back for his senior year, but he'd be an "old 22" after his season next year and unless he has a year like Crews or something, it's doubtful he'd jump into the first round. 

27 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Dunno, but I do like Travis Sykora as a pitcher, Cooper Pratt at SS, and George Wolkow as an interesting lottery pick type (he's 6'7" as a high school kid with big power potential). This is in addition to Hurley. Let's see who is available when we pick tomorrow!

41 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Typically you'd pay over-slot for prep guys that have a strong college commitment, like Jake Madden last season.  I have no doubt they like Hurley, but if he signs, it would likely be for slot value. 

1 minute ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Dunno, but I do like Travis Sykora as a pitcher, Cooper Pratt at SS, and George Wolkow as an interesting lottery pick type (he's 6'7" as a high school kid with big power potential). This is in addition to Hurley. Let's see who is available when we pick tomorrow!

You hit the nail on the head.  I was going to make a post and highlight who I believed the Angels would target for overslot.  The top of the list was Cooper Pratt and Wolkow was in there too.  Pratt has HUGE projection, but like most preps, he's raw, he'd be a project. 

2 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I’ve had my fingers crossed for Sykora. 🤞🏽IMG_4163.thumb.jpeg.b9b832105c6651c0c9b3a98dd367c141.jpeg

57 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Am I missing something? Why would they go over slot for someone like Hurley? He doesn't have a ton of leverage.  Sure, he could go back for his senior year, but he'd be an "old 22" after his season next year and unless he has a year like Crews or something, it's doubtful he'd jump into the first round. 

yeah, he has less leverage than HS players. But he's still a guy who was projected to go in the comp round, so it might take a bit more than slot at 79 to get him.

Or the Angels could've worked out a deal ahead of the draft trying to get him to 79 since they like him so much but knew that they didn't have a 2nd and he wasn't a top 15 pick.

41 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Typically you'd pay over-slot for prep guys that have a strong college commitment, like Jake Madden last season.  I have no doubt they like Hurley, but if he signs, it would likely be for slot value. 

Jake Madden was a JUCO guy, IIRC.

I was just wondering if maybe the could've offered Hurley a higher bonus in order to float him down to 79?

On 7/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, Chuckster70 said:

Here is the current mock drafts for the Angels at pick 11.

ESPN: Blake Mitchell, C, Sinton (Texas) HS (Rogers)

MLB.com: Kyle Teel, C, Virginia 

Fangraphs: Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Florida

Baseball America: Chase Dollander, RHP, Tennessee

The Athletic: Arjun Nimmala, SS, Strawberry Crest High (Dover, Fla.)

Sportsnaut: Brayden Taylor, 3B, TCU

They were all wrong but Keith Law got it right.

25 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Jake Madden was a JUCO guy, IIRC.

I was just wondering if maybe the could've offered Hurley a higher bonus in order to float him down to 79?

Something I didn't consider. Not sure it works that way though, because Hurley would need a guarantee of being drafted, otherwise telling other teams he'd require more money would seem like a poor career move. In his position, the goal isn't money as much as it's to be drafted and sign with the ideal organization where he could thrive and become a major leaguer.

The Draft continues Monday with rounds 3-10. MLB.com will stream all eight rounds, starting at 2 p.m. ET. There will be one minute between picks.

The Draft concludes with rounds 11-20 on Tuesday, starting at 2 p.m. ET, with no delay between selections, all heard on MLB.com.

12 hours ago, Revad said:

So much focus on the first round, I’m lost in the third.  Anyone else I should be looking at?

My guy for the third round was picked by the Astros, Alonzo Tredwell with the last pick in the second round.

I like HS pitcher Cole Miller if there's money left to sign him. Sykora would be awesome but seems like a hard sign. I also like the kid from Harvard Westlake, Wil Gasparino OF, reminds me of Christian Yelich, but another difficult signing. Justin Lee pitcher Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks is another.

On the college side, as mentioned Hunter Owen would be a good pick. Also like Levi Wells from Texas State.

In the later rounds would like it if they explored fifth year senior pitcher from Tennessee Andrew Lindsey.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Interesting thought here. 

Or you know -- obvious need.   Say what you want but a LH hitting 1B/DH....  They could use both of those things in the immediate future.

Drafting for need sucks, but if you can get a player that fits those needs and is "close", there are worse options I guess.