• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

Jim Callis says hes hearing Angels are scouting and are in on college bats. If that's true, here are the likely options:

C Kyle Teel - Very athletic catcher. Could play 2B, 3B or OF, but the bat wouldn't play as high. Decent hit tool, average-ish power. Highest value remains as catcher. 

SS Jacob Gonzalez - Good power, good hit tool. Good actions at SS but lacks the foot speed to stay there long term. Likely third baseman. 

SS Tommy Troy - Very good hit tool, average ish power. Not a SS, has already been transitioning over to 2B. 

SS Jacob Wilson - Elite hit tool, below average power, average speed. Very good actions at SS, a lock to stay there, which increases his value for teams that need a good SS immediately.

SS Matt Shaw - Elite hit tool, average speed and power. Will be moving to 2B as a pro. Cape Cod league MVP. 

3B Braden Taylor - Average hit tool, good power. Lock to remain at 3B, where he'd solid defensively. 

1B/OF Nate Shanuel - Good hit tool, very good power. No speed. Won't be able to stay in OF long. Mark Trumbo-ish. Profiles better as 1B, and even then, not a great defender there either. He's all bat and the bat is good.

CF Enrique Bradfield Jr. - Good hit tool with surprising, but still below average power  Will be the fastest player in major league baseball as soon as he signs. With the new rules, could legitimately steal 100 bases if he gets on enough. Gold glove caliber CF. Draws Kenny Loftin comps, but can he hit enough? 

-------

My bet is still Jacob Gonzalez, but I could definitely see Shaw and Bradfield. Shaw because of the Angels long-standing track record of scouting the Cape harder than anyone. Bradfield because he'd be ready quickly and would facilitate Trout's move over to LF in a timeline that fits Trout and the organization. 

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

Jim Callis says hes hearing Angels are scouting and are in on college bats. If that's true, here are the likely options:

C Kyle Teel - Very athletic catcher. Could play 2B, 3B or OF, but the bat wouldn't play as high. Decent hit tool, average-ish power. Highest value remains as catcher. 

SS Jacob Gonzalez - Good power, good hit tool. Good actions at SS but lacks the foot speed to stay there long term. Likely third baseman. 

SS Tommy Troy - Very good hit tool, average ish power. Not a SS, has already been transitioning over to 2B. 

SS Jacob Wilson - Elite hit tool, below average power, average speed. Very good actions at SS, a lock to stay there, which increases his value for teams that need a good SS immediately.

SS Matt Shaw - Elite hit tool, average speed and power. Will be moving to 2B as a pro. Cape Cod league MVP. 

3B Braden Taylor - Average hit tool, good power. Lock to remain at 3B, where he'd solid defensively. 

1B/OF Nate Shanuel - Good hit tool, very good power. No speed. Won't be able to stay in OF long. Mark Trumbo-ish. Profiles better as 1B, and even then, not a great defender there either. He's all bat and the bat is good.

CF Enrique Bradfield Jr. - Good hit tool with surprising, but still below average power  Will be the fastest player in major league baseball as soon as he signs. With the new rules, could legitimately steal 100 bases if he gets on enough. Gold glove caliber CF. Draws Kenny Loftin comps, but can he hit enough? 

-------

My bet is still Jacob Gonzalez, but I could definitely see Shaw and Bradfield. Shaw because of the Angels long-standing track record of scouting the Cape harder than anyone. Bradfield because he'd be ready quickly and would facilitate Trout's move over to LF in a timeline that fits Trout and the organization. 

If they don’t take Dollander, then Gonzalez or Taylor should be the pick.   Need a 3B eventually, and Paris could be the 2B eventually.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

If they don’t take Dollander, then Gonzalez or Taylor should be the pick.   Need a 3B eventually, and Paris could be the 2B eventually.

Callis says college hitter. And I've heard they're high on Jack Hurley and Johnny Farmelo, neither of which will be there when they pick again in the third round and would be considerably over slot where the Angels are picking. Personally, I think it'll be a college pitcher. I think either Dollander or Lowder will fall to them, and if not, Gonzalez. 

Its a shame the Angels don't have a second round pick this year, since there's going to be quite a few relatively excellent prospects at the top of the 2nd round who were pushed down because of the strength of the draft.

Ultimately, my hope is that they avoid a pick like Wil Wilson in 2019, who although was a good college player with good stats, may not ever even become much of anything as a pro. In college, he didn't show anything that was excellent; he was just a good player.

At pick 11, the two players who may be available who show a really elite skill in one area or another is Dollander and Matt Shaw (Hit tool). I don't think Lowder will be available. 

Matt Shaw should be the pick because he has shown he can hit and hit with power and discipline in multiple leagues (that tool so far has shown to be elite amongst the draftable players). If the Angels feel that with professional instruction that Dollander can eventually be the #1-#2, starting level pitcher, something he showed in years past, than he would be a good pick as well.

I'm not as high on Jacob Gonzalez as others because from all accounts he has not participated in a wood bat league and I believe the Angels will not have the confidence enough to know if his hit tool will translate. Enrique Bradfield's description is the same one you can attach to a player that is already in the Angels system, Jordyn Adams. If Eppler were still here I believe Bradfield would be high on the list but it looks like the current regime leans differently. 

That being said the baseball draft is more so of a crapshoot than the NBA and NFL one and I will be rooting for anyone the Angels take. 

On 7/1/2023 at 12:29 PM, Docwaukee said:

this description feels like it's right in Perry's sweet spot.  

Watching Detmers today...I want that again. I want someone that will be major league ready for the stretch run next season and have a full workload in 2025. I want someone that fits in the front or middle of the rotation. 

I'm not the best scout, but from what I've seen there's three guys that seem likely to fill that. Skenes, Dollander and Lowder. I really like Nobel Meyer too, but prep pitchers in the first round is risky business. 

When I see names like Shaw, yeah I admit he looks very promising, but I think they can probably live without him on the farm. But high end starting pitching? There's nothing that equates that. It's the most valuable commodity and if used as currency, it can be get you whatever you want in trades. 

As much as I love what I'm seeing offensively in this draft, I think it's in the Angels best interest to get Lowder or Dollander, if they can. If they can't, then I'd look to solve 3B with someone like Gonzalez, Taylor or Morales. And if not 3B, then the outfield, with guys like Schanuel who can hit, or Bradfield, who can run and play D. 

But I'd prioritize starting pitching, if it's there. 

Talked to a friend of mine that does NOT work for MLB but it's a well known prospect guru, he says Angels and Jacob Gonzalez is a lock on his mind. One official from the team says Gonzalez is higher on their draft board than Wyatt Langford, and is a top 5 talent. If that's how they're valuing him, it's likely the Angels will pick him. They view him as a shortstop that can also play 3B. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Talked to a friend of mine that does NOT work for MLB but it's a well known prospect guru, he says Angels and Jacob Gonzalez is a lock on his mind. One official from the team says Gonzalez is higher on their draft board than Wyatt Langford, and is a top 5 talent. If that's how they're valuing him, it's likely the Angels will pick him. They view him as a shortstop that can also play 3B. 

Pitching is always desired, and 3B has been a weakness since more than a decade back.

Dollander would be nice, but solving the 3B hole (moving Rendon to 1B) would be nice too.

On 7/4/2023 at 9:48 AM, Second Base said:

Out of curiosity, how does your friend view Shaw and Schanuel?

I'm still thinking that if Lowder and Dollander are available, one of them will be the pick. But, if it's a bit, those two should be high on the list. 

2 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I'm still thinking that if Lowder and Dollander are available, one of them will be the pick. But, if it's a bit, those two should be high on the list. 

I can reach out. 

On 7/2/2023 at 6:51 PM, Second Base said:

Watching Detmers today...I want that again. I want someone that will be major league ready for the stretch run next season and have a full workload in 2025. I want someone that fits in the front or middle of the rotation. 

I'm not the best scout, but from what I've seen there's three guys that seem likely to fill that. Skenes, Dollander and Lowder. I really like Nobel Meyer too, but prep pitchers in the first round is risky business. 

When I see names like Shaw, yeah I admit he looks very promising, but I think they can probably live without him on the farm. But high end starting pitching? There's nothing that equates that. It's the most valuable commodity and if used as currency, it can be get you whatever you want in trades. 

As much as I love what I'm seeing offensively in this draft, I think it's in the Angels best interest to get Lowder or Dollander, if they can. If they can't, then I'd look to solve 3B with someone like Gonzalez, Taylor or Morales. And if not 3B, then the outfield, with guys like Schanuel who can hit, or Bradfield, who can run and play D. 

But I'd prioritize starting pitching, if it's there. 

My thinking too. I saw the MLB pipeline have us grabbing Kyle Teel, but with O'Hoppe, Thaiss, and Quero in the upper minors or majors, I don't see them grabbing a college catcher. Plus I think he's going 

Position doesn't matter, but with the recent promotion schedule, I think it kind of does when you're talking top three round draft picks and in regards to college position players, specifically. 

The Angels need infield help at 1st, 3rd, and then 2nd, and they need it in the next three years, which is when a college player should be ready, if a traditional promotion schedule was followed. This year in High A, next in Double A then Triple A the following. The Aggressive promotion of Neto though...

2 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

Third base has been a weakness since Chone Figgins left.  I hope we draft one of the 3B. 

Really since Troy Glaus left. 

Angels Primary 3B since 2004:

2005: Dallas McPherson

2006: Macier Izturis

2007-2009: Figgins

2010: Callaspo/Wood

2011-2013: Callaspo

2014-2015: David Freese

2016: Yunel Escobar

2017: Escobar / Valbuena (RIP)

2018: Valbuena (RIP) / Ward

2019: Fletcher

2020: Rendon

2021: Mayfield / Rendon

2022: Rendon / Duffy

2023: Rendon / Urshela 

6 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I doubt Lowder or Dollander make it to the Angels, but if they somehow do, I'm in the be same boat. 

I reached out, and the answer was fairly short. Schanuel and Chase Davis are interchangeable at pick 15-30. He didn't say anything about Shaw. 

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

My thinking too. I saw the MLB pipeline have us grabbing Kyle Teel, but with O'Hoppe, Thaiss, and Quero in the upper minors or majors, I don't see them grabbing a college catcher. Plus I think he's going 

Position doesn't matter, but with the recent promotion schedule, I think it kind of does when you're talking top three round draft picks and in regards to college position players, specifically. 

The Angels need infield help at 1st, 3rd, and then 2nd, and they need it in the next three years, which is when a college player should be ready, if a traditional promotion schedule was followed. This year in High A, next in Double A then Triple A the following. The Aggressive promotion of Neto though...

The Angels are on an aggressive promotion schedule, but as I understand, that has nothing to do with Ohtani. It's just organizational philosophy in this regime. I feel confident that 2B is covered between the current options plus Paris who figures to start there in the Futures Game, and all the Latin American shortstops they have. 

First base and DH are the easiest to fill in free agency. If you have depth, great but I don't think you sacrifice a top pick for it unless it's someone that profiles to be truly special, like Andrew Vaughn did. 

I agree regarding 3B though. As much as I like Rendon, the poor guy is snake bitten. Send like the whole organization is sometimes. But thankfully, there are a few solid 3B in this draft. Again, I prefer pitcher, but really wouldn't be upset with anything. It's nice to pick where they are.