• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

2 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I sorta fixed it.  The narrative that the Angels NEED pitching needs to change.  Would more pitching be an asset to the org?  Probably.  But they're in a spot to consider BPA for their first round draft choice.  Frankly, I would prefer they always go BPA and let things sort themselves out.  

Thanks for the fix and agreed. BPA should be where we are at when it comes to drafting. But, if this guy is there, go for it. Has that intimidation factor on the mound that Weaver had for us.

Vandy CF Enrique Bradfield is another potential first round pick, although that mock draft has him going to Miami right before the Halos pick.

80 grade speed, excellent defense and contact tools, sounds like a good lead off guy?

Kenny Lofton comp

Bradfield, Waldrep, and Taylor are all potentially good draft picks at #11.

Edited by Angel Oracle

• 4 months later...

Aidan Miller, 3B, Mitchell HS, New Port Richey, Fla. (No. 12)
Miller raked throughout the showcase circuit last summer and could be one of the steals of the first round after his stock slipped because he missed almost all of the spring with a hamate injury.

There's three in particular I'm looking at, and two that I believe the Angels are likely to target. 

1. INF Matt Shaw - The Angels heavily scout the Cape, and he's the reigning MVP. Great bat, should be able to play 2B or the OF. 

2. 3B Brayden Taylor - Good performer in the Cape, good hitter and could become a gold glover at 3B. Great discipline, good hit tool, growing power. He'll be a major league third baseman. 

3. TWP Bryce Eldridge - An actual two way player. Not just someone that's good at one and dabbles in the other. He's going to strike out a lot as a hitter, but he's also going to hit some tape measure shots and has performed well against elite level prep pitching, suggesting his bat profile will grow. And on the mound, four pitch mix with two plus offspeed offerings and a good fastball, but his mechanics are inconsistent and so he'll miss the zone from time to time. Still, as a pitcher alone he'd also be a first round pick. Obvious Shohei comps, but also Spencer Jones, for those who know prospects. 

Edited by Second Base

• 2 weeks later...

We're still in the phase of mock drafts where they aren't even getting info about teams being interested in a player. More, this is the range that makes sense for the player, while ignoring team tendencies.

The college pitchers that would possibly be available for the Angels this year at their 11 spot (compared to previous years) are not so great. The player I like a lot is Matt Shaw from Maryland. He gets dinged for his defense by some but I think he's criminally underrated. He's a SS for Maryland and I think he can play some there in an emergency, but can really standout as a 2b, 3b, or in the OF in the big leagues.

When he bats, he reminds me of a young, shorter Mike Trout; big head, stocky build, great bat speed, good eye, gamer. MVP of the Cape Cod League and has shown he can hit for average, power, and get on base with a wood bat. Draws walks and doesn't strike out much. Also, good base runner and can steal you a base. Only tool that is meh, is probably his arm. 

Currently set to go anywhere from pick 15-20. May get pushed down a bit as the HS prospects start to get talked up more the closer to draft day this gets. So like Neto last year, he could be a good underslot signing so that we can use the extra savings to buyout premium players with strong college commits later in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Talking to a scout contact of mine, the Angels are very high on Jack Hurley, an outfielder from Virginia Tech. 

Interesting. Looks like he’s ranked more towards the back of the first round, but things can change in the next 2 months.

Reading a quick report on him, it seems like he should be ranked higher (especially if he can play CF and the power improvements are legit)

On 5/21/2023 at 12:47 PM, Docwaukee said:

If they go pitching, I'd rather it be someone with a higher ceiling.  

Dollander is really the only college pitcher in the first half of first round with that high of a ceiling.   Even with the somewhat slump this season, still projected to go in the top 10.

If he somehow fell to #11, snap him up without even thinking twice about it?

Edited by Angel Oracle

• 2 weeks later...

11. Angels — Chase Dollander, RHP, Tennessee

There’s no way the Angels expected Dollander to be an option for the 11th pick of the draft at the start of the season, but his inconsistencies and struggles—particularly in the first inning of games—have kept him sliding down boards. There’s a limit to how far a talent like his will fall as long as he keeps flashing the stuff that made him the top pitcher in the class to start the year in the first place, and the Angels are the beneficiaries in this scenario with better 2023 performers going in front of them.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Trendon said:

I've seen a few mock drafts the last few weeks projecting Bradfield Jr to the Angels, but I just can't see that happening.

One of the things the Angels seem to value in hitters is exit velocity, and Bradfield Jr is lacking significantly there.

Success with wood bat's, especially in the Cape Cod league is highly valued in the organization as well. 

If Lowder, Dollander, or Waldrep are available when we draft, I'd think we have to take one of them, especially as we've traded away some arms. All have big upsides (and Lowder has a good floor). 

If none are available, then I could see Shaw being the pick as he was the Cape Cod MVP. 

I have been thinking that an interesting idea may be on a bit of a polarizing figure, and that is Nolan Schanuel. Yes, he's a lower ranked prospect because of his defensive limitations (1B or corner OF at best), but I like his bat (even if his swing is much more of a Japanese style high arm position). A left handed MOTO bat is nothing to sneeze at, and with the savings (he should come way below slot), offer 1st round money to a HS arm who fell due to sign ability issues. Schanuel has a great hit tool with way more walks than Ks, has power (19 HRs to just 14 Ks and 71 BBs). His numbers were insane, although he did not do as well in the Cape Cod League (he still posted good BB:K numbers there, so the plate discipline is real. Schanuel could accelerate through our system (as could Shaw), so it's an interesting thought experiment to see if we could draft him and a HS player who fell. 

Still, I think if Lowder, Dollander, or Waldrep are available when we pick, I'd take one of them. 

I know everyone was waiting for the Bleacher Report mock draft to dome out:

11. Los Angeles Angels: RHP Hurston Waldrep, Florida

Waldrep has, arguably, the best pure stuff among college pitchers not named Paul Skenes, and after an inconsistent spring, his stock has climbed with a strong late-season run while helping pitch the Gators to the College World Series. He struggled with his command on Sunday against LSU, but he had posted a 0.86 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and 37 strikeouts in 21 innings over his previous three starts.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10080431-mlb-mock-draft-2023-predictions-for-1st-round-picks-college-world-series-edition

I've paid close attention to this draft class, more so than previous drafts, and here's what I got...

Arjun Nimmala - If he falls to the Angels, you almost have to grab him. Rare to see a shortstop with his power, speed and the ability to stick at SS. But he'd be a slow mover, he's raw and lacks plate discipline at the moment. But they were right, at the combine comparing him to Francisco Lindor. He could develop into that kind of star. 

Chase Dollander - Coming into the season, he was a strong candidate to go 1-1. Command of his pitches took a step backward though. Still, ace upside. He'd probably need a couple years in the minors to iron things out though, so I wouldn't anticipate as quick if a rise as we saw in guys like Canning, Silseth and Detmers. But higher upside. 

Enrique Bradfield Jr. - Legit gold glove caliber CF, and potential SB champion for years to come. Great plate discipline and just enough power to keep them honest. Surefire major leaguer. But upside is very limited due to the bat being merely ok, and limited power. Esteury Ruiz, but with a higher OBP. 

Jacob Gonzalez - Legit power as a shortstop, but he'll probably move to 3B. Solid option, but not an exciting pick. Would move fast through the system. 

Hurtson Waldrep - Great stuff but I wouldn't pick him personally. Got by in college by overwhelming the competition but he has zero command and it never really developed. He has Garrett Richards upside, but I see reliever risk all over him. 

Matt Shaw - Michael Stefanic but with more athleticism and defense. Should be a solid starting 2B, no more, no less. 

Jack Hurley - Heard the Angels really like him, but right now he's projected for late first round, or early second. May not make it to them. Very good all around told and polish. 

I've also heard they were very interested in grabbing Johnny Farmelo in the second round and offering him a higher signing bonus. Highest upside in the entire draft, I'm told by an AL East front office worker. Raw though. 

8 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Success with wood bat's, especially in the Cape Cod league is highly valued in the organization as well. 

If Lowder, Dollander, or Waldrep are available when we draft, I'd think we have to take one of them, especially as we've traded away some arms. All have big upsides (and Lowder has a good floor). 

If none are available, then I could see Shaw being the pick as he was the Cape Cod MVP. 

I have been thinking that an interesting idea may be on a bit of a polarizing figure, and that is Nolan Schanuel. Yes, he's a lower ranked prospect because of his defensive limitations (1B or corner OF at best), but I like his bat (even if his swing is much more of a Japanese style high arm position). A left handed MOTO bat is nothing to sneeze at, and with the savings (he should come way below slot), offer 1st round money to a HS arm who fell due to sign ability issues. Schanuel has a great hit tool with way more walks than Ks, has power (19 HRs to just 14 Ks and 71 BBs). His numbers were insane, although he did not do as well in the Cape Cod League (he still posted good BB:K numbers there, so the plate discipline is real. Schanuel could accelerate through our system (as could Shaw), so it's an interesting thought experiment to see if we could draft him and a HS player who fell. 

Still, I think if Lowder, Dollander, or Waldrep are available when we pick, I'd take one of them. 

Totally agree about Shaw and Schanuel.

No one saw them picking Neto last year, and they did.

You gotta look at their tendencies.

Another tendency is that McIlvaine came from Milwaukee, where they took a lot of college hitters in the 1st round.