• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Now what? What moves would you like to see them make.

Stradling

5 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I wonder how much Brian Anderson would cost.  He's got a bit of versatility on top of corner OFer.  Good OF defender.  Seems to have some statcast data that Perry might like.  And looks like he had some launch angle issues last year.  Get a fresh start.  Can play 3b.  Has played 1b.  Even stood at 2b and SS a bit.  Can't imagine he'd be more that 3-4 mil.  

I agree.  He seems like he'd be a solid bench addition - has mainly been a 3B/RF over the year, but has flexed out to other spots.  If we acquired a SS, as well as Anderson, we'd effectively a bench of:  backup C (Thaiss?), Urshela IF, Fletcher middle IF, Anderson OF/IF.

Anderson, conceivably, would spend the bulk of his time in RF/LF, subbing in for guys.  We could have Ward swing out to play CF occasionally for Trout's off days.  Urshela would mainly be 3B/1B, providing numerous days of rest for Rendon as well as a possible platoon partner at 1B.  Fletcher would naturally cover the middle infield.

I think that'd be a highly versatile bench.  The only weakness would be a legit backup CF for Trout's off days.  Ward might be somewhat serviceable out there, but defense is clearly being sacrificed during Trout's off days.  If any injury to Trout were to occur, that is likely when you'd see Moniak recalled.

8 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I wonder how much Brian Anderson would cost.  He's got a bit of versatility on top of corner OFer.  Good OF defender.  Seems to have some statcast data that Perry might like.  And looks like he had some launch angle issues last year.  Get a fresh start.  Can play 3b.  Has played 1b.  Even stood at 2b and SS a bit.  Can't imagine he'd be more that 3-4 mil.  

I’d like to see that.

Only concern is if Anderson may prefer to sign with a team that will guarantee him everyday playing time.

I think that Moniak will end up being our 4th OF.  He was doing OK, until he got hit in the hand, twice.  

As far as SS goes, Fletcher is OK if healthy.  Most of his hits are singles, but he doesn't K, and he excels at hitting the ball the other way, behind runners, etc.  

So, if we must make another outlay for talent, maybe a SP and another C. 

It is December 11th, and there are still plenty of options out there to help us improve.  We still have Rodon, Bassit, Eovaldi, on the pitching side, along with Kimbrel, Chapman, Chaffin, in bullpen roles.  There is Correa, Swanson, Mancini, Segura, Andrus, Drury, JD Martinez and Benitendi on the offensive side.  

What would you like the Angels to do?  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It is December 11th, and there are still plenty of options out there to help us improve.  We still have Rodon, Bassit, Eovaldi, on the pitching side, along with Kimbrel, Chapman, Chaffin, in bullpen roles.  There is Correa, Swanson, Mancini, Segura, Andrus, Drury, JD Martinez and Benitendi on the offensive side.  

What would you like the Angels to do?  

What would I like them to do?  I want them to be aggressive.

Sign Rodon and Swanson.

I want to win. 

12 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I think that Moniak will end up being our 4th OF.  He was doing OK, until he got hit in the hand, twice.  

He had a few homers over a small period of time that boosted his slug% and his overall line, but he was still not getting on base and was striking out at an absurd clip.

17 minutes ago, Trendon said:

-Two more bats so that Soto/Velazquez and Moniak/Adell get pushed off the projected opening day roster.

-A cheap SP so that they don’t need to rely on Canning/Rodriguez/Davidson/Silseth.

-A cheap bullpen arm or two if there’s still room.

So you would LIKE them to be cheap?

I'm honestly still a bit confused as to exactly what the strategy is.  I don't actively dislike any of the moves so far, but they've mostly been mid-value and/or "raising the floor"-type moves.  Those are important, of course, but I'm not sure what, if anything, they tell us about what to expect from this point forward.  The offer to Contreras doesn't neatly fit into any sort of "strategy box," either.  If money is no object, then I'm all for going for Correa next, even though there's virtually no way that contract will be worth it in the long run. 

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s a choose your own adventure.  You can do one “all in” scenario and one tempered expectations scenario.  

What I would want them to do, if no consequences of actions:  Sign SS Correa, LHP Rodon, OF Ortega (4th OF), C Tucker Barnhardt.

What I think a realistic plan is, based on financial limitations:  trade for SS Hoerner, sign SP/RP Lugo (or Lorenzen), sign C Tucker Barnhardt

I think if the Cubs sign Swanson, and that is who I am assuming will sign him at this point, something reasonable can be put together for Hoerner.  Rosario would be my top choice, but I don't see the Guardians trading him at this point.

Lugo takes on a swing role, and could potentially become a solid reliever if he isn't needed as a SP.  Barnhard I put because he's a LHH C, and I get the feeling that Minasian is trying hard to upgrade our catching depth.  I suspect that the FO will roll with the current OF group, although I'd personally like to see someone like Ortega on the roster instead of Moniak, as I think that's a sneaky upgrade that greatly strengthens our OF depth.  

The realistic plan will assuredly be less than 20mil in combined salary, thus staying comfortably under the luxury tax.

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So you would LIKE them to be cheap?

Did I say cheap bats? No.

I’d LIKE to see one of those bats be Correa or Swanson.

Realistically, it won’t be. But to answer your question, no, I wouldn't “LIKE them to be cheap.”

Edited by Trendon