• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels being sued by two Dominican players

m0nkey

If it wasn’t the Halos involved, would this be as newsworthy?

So much has happened under Arte Moreno’s watch, that the media seems to sniff anything Halos related.

As mentioned in here, this happens a lot.   Doesn’t make it necessarily right, but just the same.

Edited by Angel Oracle

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

So much has happened under Arte Moreno’s watch, that the media seems to sniff anything Halos related.

As mentioned in here, this happens a lot.   Doesn’t make it necessarily right, but just the same.

To the best of my knowledge, players don't typically file suit when it does occur (someone please correct me if there have been other instances like this in the past, though).  That's why it's "newsworthy"--not because it's the Angels (though that's obviously why it's of particular interest here).

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

To the best of my knowledge, players don't typically file suit when it does occur (someone please correct me if there have been other instances like this in the past, though).  That's why it's "newsworthy"--not because it's the Angels (though that's obviously why it's of particular interest here).

True

I just don’t see the Halos losing int’l signees, because then a lot of teams would have to lose them.  

Can’t rule one way for one team, and ignore the other occurrences.

Main thing that should come from this is FINALLY having int’l prospects be drafted like with domestic prospects.  Longgggg overdue!

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

True

I just don’t see the Halos losing int’l signees, because then a lot of teams would have to lose them.  

Can’t rule one way for one team, and ignore the other occurrences.

Main thing that should come from this is FINALLY having int’l prospects be drafted like with domestic prospects.  Longgggg overdue!

Yeah, I'm not saying anything about losing signees, etc.  Just say that it's unique because the suit was filed--and it was filed in the Dominican Republic, not here in the U.S.  I know nothing about DR law, but even if the players prevail, it might not actually change anything here in the long run.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

That's the only thing that's newsworthy -- because the shit happens all the time.

That’s what I thought but I checked in with an exec from another team and was told that it does not happen. Teams sometimes change the bonus amount if there’s an injury or something. But they don’t back out entirely. 

i quoted this source is my story saying when the Angels did it, the industry noticed and it was considered “a bad look.”

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That’s what I thought but I checked in with an exec from another team and was told that it does not happen. Teams sometimes change the bonus amount if there’s an injury or something. But they don’t back out entirely. 

i quoted this source is my story saying when the Angels did it, the industry noticed and it was considered “a bad look.”

Well, hang another black eye on the Angels then.  

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Well, hang another black eye on the Angels then.  

Someone best tell ESPN because from their article...

Despite the growing prevalence of broken deals -- players, too, have backed out of agreements with teams to reap larger paydays elsewhere -- the cases of Fañas and Pavon are the first known to have multiple hearings in the Dominican justice system, where the law gives greater weight to verbal contracts and their enforceability than the United States, according to lawyers who practice there.

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

Terrible, evil practice to promise the world to vulnerable and impoverished families and then being like, "Nah, go f yourselves." I hope the Angels get sued for every cent they promised to these guys, and that this practice gets eradicated from the MLB.

Did anything the Angels did stop these two from signing with someone else?

It's not like as soon as they were eligible, they turned down other offers because of this.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Did anything the Angels did stop these two from signing with someone else?

It's not like as soon as they were eligible, they turned down other offers because of this.

They both signed with other teams, and one of them signed with the guy that made the offer while in Anaheim -- Billy Eppler.

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

It doesn't happen a lot.

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Does that “exec from another team” work for the Seattle Mariners?

(and while I don’t expect you to give away info about your sources, if the exec is from the Mariners, I think it’d be fair to question the level of truth in that exec’s quote)

• 1 year later...