• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell’s Future

BTH

What do you think Jo Adell’s future is with the Angels come 2023?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think Jo Adell’s future is with the Angels come 2023?

• Traded
    • Starting OF with the Angels
    • Platoon/Backup OF with the Angels
    • With the Angels organization, but at AAA

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

What skills have you seen in Aguilar's limited appearances that make you think he's a better fit long term? 

His defense and better at bats. I'm not arguing he is Adell's replacement but it shows that Adell is not ready for the major league level, yet. Aguilar could be a league average replacement player, which would actually be an upgrade for the Angels. This could be the best Aguilar will ever be which is better than the current version of Adell.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Ryan Aguilar is not a threat to Jo Adell's future.

The only threat to Jo Adell's future is Jo Adell.

If the Angels have an outfield prospect in the lower levels who appears to be developing,  you don't think that prospect would leap frog over Adell in getting major league opportunities? I'm not sure how patient the Angels will be waiting for Adell. 

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

His defense and better at bats. I'm not arguing he is Adell's replacement but it shows that Adell is not ready for the major league level, yet. Aguilar could be a league average replacement player, which would actually be an upgrade for the Angels. This could be the best Aguilar will ever be which is better than the current version of Adell.

I've seen Aguilar make a couple of good catches and botch one other.  In his limited appearances thus far, both Fangraphs and B-Ref have him below replacement value and negative in defensive value.  You are clearly seeing something very different from what I've seen and from what the stats show.

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's truly bizarre to me that you think that question was Blum being a "dick" or that you, Fletcher, and others feel it was disrespectful. He asked a question based on Nevin's moronic answer. If beat writers only exist to parrot back the basic facts and whatever the managers and players say, then I don't see the reason for them to exist in today's media environment. 

Nevin did give a more detailed answer to the question. It was provided in a story written by JP Hoornstra.

17 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's truly bizarre to me that you think that question was Blum being a "dick" or that you, Fletcher, and others feel it was disrespectful. He asked a question based on Nevin's moronic answer. If beat writers only exist to parrot back the basic facts and whatever the managers and players say, then I don't see the reason for them to exist in today's media environment. 

Me thinking Blum is a dick is much more than simply this question.  He has a history of being a dick and trying to be “that guy”.  Also today’s media environment is pretty shitty.  No reason for it to carry over to entertainment like sports.

Jo Adell is one player on a roster of many.  Nothing more and nothing less.  

The Angels organization has signed Adell to a contract and they can put him in or out of the lineup as they please.  If he’s in the lineup I hope he does well.  If he isn’t I don’t lose any sleep over it. I don’t know why anyone would, either.  I don’t need any answers from Nevin or Minasian.  That’s their decision.  They signed him.  They pay him.  He’s getting paid for whatever he does or doesn’t do.

I’m guessing they haven’t bounced any of the checks they pay to him.  

I think the organization struck out by selecting him in the draft.  He may have hit some tape-measure 575 foot home runs in high school with an aluminum bat against some high school pitching, but that’s a far cry from Division 1 college ball and it doesn’t warrant that early of a selection in the draft.  

The hype surrounding him since he was signed has been exactly that.  Hype.

If we can risk a moment of honesty here perhaps it will be easy to admit that he hasn’t exactly lived up to the hype....has he?

I would guess the Angels certainly haven’t seen a return on their investment.

I’m guessing they’d like to see an ROI from him.

Adell has had plenty of looks this year.  He is 100% healthy.  You’re getting the very best version of Jo Adell right now.  He has not been “courageously” battling off some nagging injuries although those in his corner might not want to hear that. 

There is zero pressure on Adell.  The team is not expected to win. Zero pressure.  It’s not like he’s stepping up to the plate each plate appearance with the game and the Division Title on the line....although those in his corner might not wanna hear that.

Let it go dude.  It isn’t going to happen.  It may with another team, but it isn’t going to happen.  

Are we to place him into the lineup every day until he breaks Cal Ripkins record to see if he pans out? We all know the answer to that but let’s be honest here....that’s pretty much what a lot of you are asking for. 

There are no reasons apart from his performance on the field that have limited his opportunities.  No “outside influences”....

He is one of many players on the roster.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Nevin did give a more detailed answer to the question. It was provided in a story written by JP Hoornstra.

Just to be clear, he gave a deeper or more detailed answer, but Blum decided to just tweet a version of his response to fit what the tone of what Blum wanted it to look like? 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Me thinking Blum is a dick is much more than simply this question.  He has a history of being a dick and trying to be “that guy”.  Also today’s media environment is pretty shitty.  No reason for it to carry over to entertainment like sports.

And I disagree that he's trying to be "that guy". He just has a more direct style than what you seem to prefer.  That doesn't mean he's being a dick. 

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I've seen Aguilar make a couple of good catches and botch one other.  In his limited appearances thus far, both Fangraphs and B-Ref have him below replacement value and negative in defensive value.  You are clearly seeing something very different from what I've seen and from what the stats show.

I haven't seen much. He seems more comfortable defensively than Adell and better at bats. My eye test for better at bats do not necessarily equate to more hits. His ability to hit a sac fly when needed is something Adell has not yet shown. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Just to be clear, he gave a deeper or more detailed answer, but Blum decided to just tweet a version of his response to fit what the tone of what Blum wanted it to look like? 

No.  

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1566262293435785216?t=KfeKjv9jZDk3C1Ujd3TSig&s=19

Edited by jsnpritchett

16 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

No. The first follow up should have been “why isn’t he part of today’s best lineup?”

16 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Do you see the difference between what Sam asked and what I suggested?

Yes, you gave Nevin an out to say something about pitching matchups or today a stronger defensive alignment is what is required. It let's Nevin step away from making a statement about Adell if he would want to avoid that. If he doesn't then the question achieves the response Blum is after without setting up a conflict. 

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

And I disagree that he's trying to be "that guy". He just has a more direct style than what you seem to prefer.  That doesn't mean he's being a dick. 

That is one way to look at it.  Read his tweets, let me know if you see a trend to his style?  Even in wins it is the same style.  It isn’t a direct style as much as it is a negative style.  He won’t cut it as a beat writer.  The younger fans that want an in your face type of reporter will blame the team or whatever, but at the end of the day a beat writer has to have some sort of respectful relationship in order to get a story or to even be employable.  

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That is one way to look at it.  Read his tweets, let me know if you see a trend to his style?  Even in wins it is the same style.  It isn’t a direct style as much as it is a negative style.  He won’t cut it as a beat writer.  The younger fans that want an in your face type of reporter will blame the team or whatever, but at the end of the day a beat writer has to have some sort of respectful relationship in order to get a story or to even be employable.  

I do read his tweets. It's not a "negative" style in my opinion.  If the team is doing poorly, he points that out.  What's he supposed to do? You seem to be equating "respectful" with not asking challenging questions or presenting a very positive (potentially skewed) view of things. If you like it, great.  Fletcher, Bollinger, and Hoonstra are all out there for you.  

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I do read his tweets. It's not a "negative" style in my opinion.  If the team is doing poorly, he points that out.  What's he supposed to do? You seem to be equating "respectful" with not asking challenging questions or presenting a very positive (potentially skewed) view of things. If you like it, great.  Fletcher, Bollinger, and Hoonstra are all out there for you.  

Maybe he says negative things about the Angels. I am not familiar with him. You know well and good that the poster you are responding to is probably the biggest homer on this board so of course anything that puts the Angels in a bad light, even if it's the truth, he isn't going to like.

Just now, beatlesrule said:

Maybe he says negative things about the Angels. I am not familiar with him. You know well and good that the poster you are responding to is probably the biggest homer on this board so of course anything that that puts the Angels in a bad light, even if it's the truth, he isn't going to like.

I think you are adorable.  Sorry I am not miserable about my hobby.  

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

He also says negative things when describing wins.  Things like, despite striking out 13 times the Angels manage to win.  That would be a typical tweet.  

He also says negative things when describing wins.  Things like, despite striking out 13 times the Angels manage to win.  That would be a typical tweet.  

Again, not a negative tweet, in my opinion. If that's what happened and he tweeted something like that, what's the problem? It's pretty rare for a team that Ks 13 times to win, I would guess.  You seem to only want things rosy and nicely tied up with a sparkly bow. Totally fine.  

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Again, not a negative tweet, in my opinion. If that's what happened and he tweeted something like that, what's the problem? It's pretty rare for a team that Ks 13 times to win, I would guess.  You seem to only want things rosy and nicely tied up with a sparkly bow. Totally fine.  

No, that isn’t it at all.  If they lose then it should be something to the affect of “Angels strike out 13 time in loss”.  If they strike out 13 times, that could be in the article, but not in his tweet letting people know they won, or something like, Angels overcome 13 k’s in Victory.  

No, that isn’t it at all.  If they lose then it should be something to the affect of “Angels strike out 13 time in loss”.  If they strike out 13 times, that could be in the article, but not in his tweet letting people know they won, or something like, Angels overcome 13 k’s in Victory.  

Perhaps you should apply for the beat writer gig at The Athletic when Blum gets fired, then. 

Blum grew on me more or maybe I just got used to his style, but I do believe he comes off like a prick a lot.   Anyway I did appreciate how when Maddon would respond to direct questions such as why the team was striking out so much by referencing Hercules' 7 labors, Blum would again ask why the team was striking out so much.

I don't know that being a beat guy is what he wants to do, and maybe writing for a national sports source he's trying to appeal to a larger audience than just Angels fans, he has at times played up the national narratives.  Maybe he's just biding his time while his real life dream of being a co-host on the View becomes a reality.

Mostly I think you guys are all really punchy cause it's been a shitacular season