• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell’s Future

BTH

What do you think Jo Adell’s future is with the Angels come 2023?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think Jo Adell’s future is with the Angels come 2023?

• Traded
    • Starting OF with the Angels
    • Platoon/Backup OF with the Angels
    • With the Angels organization, but at AAA

• BTH changed the title to Jo Adell’s Future

He has progressed modestly at the plate. Coming from a miserable start to his career  But he has a way to go to reach respectability. Still a long way to go in the field, though not hopeless. I would platoon him and see how he starts next season. But the leash is getting shorter and shorter. If he hasn't improved enough then trade him at the deadline. 

I actually think he has made some not-insignificant improvements the last 3 weeks. He's made regular defensive plays as well as a few highlight ones. He's striking out way too much, but has had good at bats mixed in. He's also tearing the cover off the ball when he puts it in play, which just shows. His Hard Hit % is right around guys like Ward, Arenado, and Kyle Tucker in a much smaller sample. But you can see how reducing the K% and putting more balls in play is going to result in really good things with him. 

That said, I put "Traded" up top. I really like Adell--probably more than most--but I think unless he takes hold of the LF spot this last month, the Angels need an upgrade to be good in 2023. The best thing to do might be to package him with a young pitcher and young SS and see what that gets you--a good SP or a really good LF/SS. However, I think the best course for the team is to sign a better LF, let Moniak be the 4th OF, and put Adell in AAA until his K% goes way down, BB% goes up, his defense looks great, and his BA creeps up to .300. That will show he is making consistent contact--and that's all he needs to do because the power is elite. 

not really seeing much progression at the plate from him personally.  In fact, in some ways I'm actually seeing some regression.  

I'm gonna keep bringing this up until I hear otherwise but I'd swear he's got some sort of vision issue with depth perception.  

His reaction and the way he just swings right through pitches is odd to me.  It doesn't even feel like a timing thing as much as some weird glitch in the way he tracks a baseball.  Both at the plate and on defense where the ball is in front of him or behind.  

But overall, I just don't see a guy that's learning how to hit vs. just going up there and taking some swings in hopes that he can hit a ball on to the highway.  

I'd be interested to see what Adell looks like underneath the tutelage of a different hitting coach.

To be perfectly clear: I'm not blaming the Angels' hitting coach for Adell's struggles.

But it's worth noting that Adell has been working with the same hitting coach (Jeremy Reed) throughout his entire professional career.

Reed was the Angels minor league hitting coordinator when Adell was in the minors (2017-2018) and then was the Angels hitting coach when Adell was in the majors (2020-2022).

I'm just interested to see whether a new hitting coach could help Adell find something.

2 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I'm gonna keep bringing this up until I hear otherwise but I'd swear he's got some sort of vision issue with depth perception.  

While the diagnosis of the issue hasn't really helped these particular players, it's worth noting that a couple of players this season alone have had vision issues that they needed to get corrected.

Jackie Bradley Jr: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/06/20/sports/red-sox-jeter-downs/

Randal Grichuk: https://www.mlb.com/news/randal-grichuk-rockies-wearing-glasses-in-games

So it's not that outrageous to think that Adell could have some vision issue.

7 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'd be interested to see what Adell looks like underneath the tutelage of a different hitting coach.

To be perfectly clear: I'm not blaming the Angels' hitting coach for Adell's struggles.

But it's worth noting that Adell has been working with the same hitting coach (Jeremy Reed) throughout his entire professional career.

Reed was the Angels minor league hitting coordinator when Adell was in the minors (2017-2018) and then was the Angels hitting coach when Adell was in the majors (2020-2022).

I'm just interested to see whether a new hitting coach could help Adell find something.

Send him to AAA so he can work with the coach that helped Ford.

The sad thing about Adell's performance this season is that it looked he turned a corner at the end of last season.

While the numbers were still below average, his wRC+ was only 11 points below league average and, more importantly, his K% was only 22.9%. But then this season, his K% has risen to a horrid 36.3%.

58 minutes ago, Trendon said:

While the diagnosis of the issue hasn't really helped these particular players, it's worth noting that a couple of players this season alone have had vision issues that they needed to get corrected.

Jackie Bradley Jr: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/06/20/sports/red-sox-jeter-downs/

Randal Grichuk: https://www.mlb.com/news/randal-grichuk-rockies-wearing-glasses-in-games

So it's not that outrageous to think that Adell could have some vision issue.

Wasnt that the problem for "Wild Thing" Rick Vaughn also?

Edited by notherhalo

CaliAngel thinks Adell sucks and should already be gone. 

Strad thinks we should start him in left field even though he can't track a ground ball, and additionally believes we should flush at bats down the toilet for the next 2 years with him in the 6 slot, because some scout back in 2020 said he'll figure it out once he hits 25 years old.

It's proven that this is how you win divisions, pennants, championships. 

Strad always thinks he's right so...good luck saying otherwise. 

1 hour ago, CaliAngel said:

Strad thinks we should start him in left field even though he can't track a ground ball, and additionally believes we should flush at bats down the toilet for the next 2 years with him in the 6 slot, because some scout back in 2020 said he'll figure it out once he hits 25 years old.

Did you just refer to yourself in the third person?

Tdawg finds this weird.

3 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

Otherwise

I would prefer reading reports of Adell improving than watching him play at this point.  His future will depend on Minasian's ability to find a league average replacement player for next year.   With that thought, Adell will probably be the starting left fielder in 2023.

3 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

And one of us thinks he’d hit at least .200 in the majors, you know, if it was worth it.  The rest of us laugh at the person. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And one of us thinks he’d hit at least .200 in the majors, you know, if it was worth it.  The rest of us laugh at the person. 

First time he sees a 90 mph fastball or a breaking ball on the inside part of the plate, I'm guessing he bails and complains about almost being hit by a pitch.

I would just wear brown pants for that situation.

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

First time he sees a 90 mph fastball or a breaking ball on the inside part of the plate, I'm guessing he bails and complains about almost being hit by a pitch.

I would just wear brown pants for that situation.

I love the audacity of someone who believes they would hit over .200 and they still call others out for opinions.