• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell's outlook

Jo Adell  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How likely will Adell become a good major leaguer? (3+ WAR)

• Very unlikely - dude is a bust and will probably never be even a decent major leaguer.
    • Unlikely - at least for the foreseeable future. Maybe in a few years, and probably with a different org, but probably no more than a 1-2 WAR guy.
    • 50-50 - hard to say at this point, but at least he'll be a solid platoon guy, with a good chance of being better.
    • Likely - he just needs more time, but he'll get there.
    • Very likely - he's on the cusp of a breakout.

Jo Adell has moments where it seems he's making progress, but then you step back and look at his stats and realize that nothing has changed, really, since 2020. Remember his 2 HR game that year? He's had flashes all along, but the overall results haven't changed: Adell is a terrible player.

He still doesn't have a full season's worth of playing time under his belt - but 446 PA isn't nothing. 67 wRC+ and -1.9 WAR isn't even a scrub.

Now the problem with Adell is that due to his atrocious defense, it really is all or nothing. Brandon Marsh might not improve with the bat and still end up having a solid major league career as a 4th outfielder, while Adell has to become more than even league average with the bat to be more than an up-and-down guy that numerous teams try to clean-peanut over the next half decade.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think if Adell was going to develop into something special we would have seen it by now.

Who knows.

He may still be a good player but I doubt we will ever describe him as "special". Trout and Ohtani get that title 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think if Adell was going to develop into something special we would have seen it by now.

Who knows.

There's a wide range of outcomes between "special" and what Adell has been, which is "special" in another way.

Adell's future outlook has fallen, and fallen again. I'm just curious where people are at right now. It kind of went like this:

2017-19: Will he be a star or superstar?

2020: Still going to be a star, but it might take longer than hoped.

2021: Will he be a star or just a good player?

2022: Will he even be a major leaguer? Ever?

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Jo Adell has moments where it seems he's making progress, but then you step back and look at his stats and realize that nothing has changed, really, since 2020. Remember his 2 HR game that year? He's had flashes all along, but the overall results haven't changed: Adell is a terrible player.

He still doesn't have a full season's worth of playing time under his belt - but 446 PA isn't nothing. 67 wRC+ and -1.9 WAR isn't even a scrub.

Now the problem with Adell is that due to his atrocious defense, it really is all or nothing. Brandon Marsh might not improve with the bat and still end up having a solid major league career as a 4th outfielder, while Adell has to become more than even league average with the bat to be more than an up-and-down guy that numerous teams try to clean-peanut over the next half decade.

I don't understand how so little think he'll be a good player. I'm pretty sure he'll be a 3-4 War player.

I'd always had the impression that Adell didn't have much of a minors career and was called up far too soon, so I looked up a few stats to make my point. Here's a few of the better outfielders and their minor league games played:

Judge - 353

Betts - 299

Buxton - 372

Springer - 300

Marte - 481

Acuna - 265

Tucker - 525

Happ - 326

Hernandez - 725

Soto - 122

Ward - 490

Trout - 290

Jo Adell - 337

I think it may be the case that we were all expecting a Trout or Acuna or Soto, but he's actually more like a Ward or a Tucker. Still time for him to get it right. 

I had a hard time when I found out Santa Claus wasn’t real back at age seven.  I really did. 😂

But I learned that people will ask you if you “believe” in something when there is very little (if any) evidence of something being “true” or “real”.....

The “believers” in Jo Adell have made quite a few excuses for him.  I don’t understand why.  Why can’t we just look at the numbers?  Or some of the replays? 😂

It’s okay to see things as they are. 

IMHO?

Bust.....

Hope I’m wrong....and will genuinely be happy if people one day tell me “see? you should have believed!”

But I’ve already been burned on that Santa Claus deal.  😂

Many have dubbed Adell (from day one when he was drafted) as literally “the second coming of Christ”

I’m starting to see why.  Because waiting for him to come around has literally been as slow, if not slower....than “The second coming of Christ” 😂😂

I’m just sayin’

He has obviously shown signs of improving both in the field and at the plate the last few weeks. What I can’t figure out is why, after trading Marsh and having Moniak hurt, they are still not playing him every day. Duggar is playing over him. Duggar has 1 hit with the Angels so far. From an organizational standpoint, how does it benefit you to play Duggar over Adell right now? 

8 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

He has obviously shown signs of improving both in the field and at the plate the last few weeks. What I can’t figure out is why, after trading Marsh and having Moniak hurt, they are still not playing him every day. Duggar is playing over him. Duggar has 1 hit with the Angels so far. From an organizational standpoint, how does it benefit you to play Duggar over Adell right now? 

You are giving too much credit thinking the organization has a plan.  Try thinking of the Angels as a meth-addicted organization mesmerized by shiny objects.