• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How will the Angels handle their TV play-by-play situation next season?

BTH

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL..   Angels season seems to have left everyone rather punchy.

Can't stand Patty O.  

I am sure Patrick O'Neal is a good human being, but he does not belong in the play-by-play booth based on what I have heard from him this season. What invariably happens a lot is that Gubicza says something and O'Neal simply repeats it or regurgitates it in a slightly different way. He doesn't bring a lot of original commentary and that is because he is inexperienced in play-by-play and total baseball experience.

Mark was a player and his ability to dissect the game, particularly on the pitching side, allows him to add value in this role. Matty V can add to the broadcast too but if he isn't in a full time role, I don't want him in the booth, either. We had a decent thing going with Rojas and Gubicza, so if we can find the right partner for Mark that can interact with him, not dissimilar to Victor, and make good calls and commentary, bring them aboard.

This play-by-play situation needs to be solved and I don't think O'Neal and Matty V are the solutions.

9 minutes ago, ettin said:

I am sure Patrick O'Neal is a good human being, but he does not belong in the play-by-play booth based on what I have heard from him this season. What invariably happens a lot is that Gubicza says something and O'Neal simply repeats it or regurgitates it in a slightly different way. He doesn't bring a lot of original commentary and that is because he is inexperienced in play-by-play and total baseball experience.

Mark was a player and his ability to dissect the game, particularly on the pitching side, allows him to add value in this role. Matty V can add to the broadcast too but if he isn't in a full time role, I don't want him in the booth, either. We had a decent thing going with Rojas and Gubicza, so if we can find the right partner for Mark that can interact with him, not dissimilar to Victor, and make good calls and commentary, bring them aboard.

This play-by-play situation needs to be solved and I don't think O'Neal and Matty V are the solutions.

Yeah..  he seems like a good sort but he's just awful.   I'd love for Matty V to be the full time guy, but he clearly can't be.   That's the rub.

Does O’Neal know what a force play is yet?

Physioc was dumb but at least he knew enough not to embarrass himself. He was the straight man to Hud's clown act but it worked and the team was good so it didn't matter. Rojas was great and Vas is very good as well. Even Sutton and Waltz were fine. O'Neal should be in AA or doing beach volleyball or whatever. 

My screenname should be enough to tell you that I miss the days of Rex, Steve, Billy, Jose, Gubie all together making the Angels baseball broadcasts the most of what they could be during that era. Good ol days.

What's with Arte hiring former MLB Network talent to do play by play for the Angels. First, Victor. Then, Matty V. I guess he sees it as a good place to scout talent/wants to keep MLB brass happy. 

I wasn't a fan of V Rojas... too loud and obnoxious. Way too much inside joking with Gubie. He did a passable job though and did come up with some creative sayings, "LTBU and Drive home safely" that Angels fans have picked up on, (I don't use them) so that's nice.

P Oneal is the worst sports play by play man to ever grace a professional sports league from my stand point. I can't stand him. Worst announcer ever. I have always had the feeling he doesn't even like the Angels. P Oneal has been around for a looooong time and he used to do Lakers/Dodgers games. You think this clown likes the Angels? I am not saying it is a prerequisite to like the team you announce for but you shouldn't be grabbing guys who were doing Dodgers broadcasts for so many years to come work Angels games (there are exceptions/i.e. jose mota going to the dodgers broadcast team, he has history there).

I like Matty V, he does a professional job unlike Patty O who is winging it most of the time (not his fault they offered it to him, but why did he take this job? To out himself as the worst play by play man ever, LOL!). I can't stand the back and forth though. It's either all in or don't even start. Matty V should be full time or forget about it.

I don't know who is out there because the art of sports broadcasting is pretty much dead. Almost all the newcomers today sound exactly the same, and they are all so sanitized/tainted by mainstream culture group think.

Radio is the way to go because they aren't as closely watched as the TV broadcasters are. They get a little more leeway even though they can't say everything they want, some stool pigeon will snitch if you get too comfortable in the booth, even on the radio.

Thankfully the Angels have a very good radio broadcast. Terry & Mark are a breath of fresh air and listening to them is easy since they don't blackout the online radio broadcast anymore.

As long as P Oneal is gone next year from the booth (and the team), I'll be happy. 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

I think the best combo we've heard this year is Vasgersian and Valentine.

Yup.  O'Neal is dreadful PBP guy, passable as pregame/intermission as in LA Kings broadcasts.  Goober is certainly knowledgeable, but gets overwhelming with intricate dissection of every pitch, spin rates, arm position, et al.  If they can't score V&V for next season, take a run at Orsillo/Grant (the best IMO). 

On 8/11/2022 at 1:41 PM, Trendon said:

I tend to listen to the games on mute, but my impression from what I have listened to is that the Angels could stand to upgrade on O’Neal.

I wish they’d ditch Vasgersian, move O’Neal back to pre/post game show host, and hire a PxP announcer to do all the games with Gubicza (like Victor Rojas did).

I don’t know if the Angels see it that way and how contractual status ties in. But we’ve seen the Angels just let go of a PxP broadcaster mid-season (Sutton) and after half a season (Waltz). So the fact that O’Neal has survived this long makes me think the Angels like him.

agreed.

i think o'neal is simply keeping the seat warm until they find someone they like better. there's no way they see him as a long term solution. no way.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

agreed.

i think o'neal is simply keeping the seat warm until they find someone they like better. there's no way they see him as a long term solution. no way.

I think they intially anticipated Vasgersian being able to do more than half the games since they (stupidly) were planning on going with the remote broadcasts.

Then when they (correctly) shifted course, the only thing they could do was increase O’Neal’s schedule since Vasgersian couldn’t do both the Angels and MLBN on a regular basis.

Fine, but they need to fix it for next season.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:41 PM, Trendon said:

I tend to listen to the games on mute, but my impression from what I have listened to is that the Angels could stand to upgrade on O’Neal.

I wish they’d ditch Vasgersian, move O’Neal back to pre/post game show host, and hire a PxP announcer to do all the games with Gubicza (like Victor Rojas did).

I don’t know if the Angels see it that way and how contractual status ties in. But we’ve seen the Angels just let go of a PxP broadcaster mid-season (Sutton) and after half a season (Waltz). So the fact that O’Neal has survived this long makes me think the Angels like him.

Sorry for being "that guy" but how exactly does one listen to games on mute?

Since so many of you are in love with Vasgersian I hope we can get him, if it will make you happy.

Personally I'm not very impressed with Vasgersian, and I don't care for Valentine. When I see Valentine in the studio post-game I'm more inclined to switch it off than to watch.

I still think there is mutual interest in a full-time, long-time relationship with Vasgersian, and this was the Angels simply staking a claim when they got a chance, and they’re waiting out the expiration of his other obligations. I could see him seeing it as his “retirement” gig. Move to SoCal, become the voice of the Angels for a couple decades. There is just contractual obligations holding it up.

The virus and satellite broadcasts and rotating supporting cast have just made an awkward situation way more awkward and visible. 

I can’t stand O’Neal. Gubi is great, IMO, but I feel sorry for him. He is having to carry every single broadcast as a color commentator with a sport (and a bad team) that doesn’t exactly lend itself to entertaining, rich conversation. He’s extremely underrated IMO and really deserves a partner like he had with Victor. That was a fantastic combo.

Edited by totdprods

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I still think there is mutual interest in a full-time, long-time relationship with Vasgersian, and this was the Angels simply staking a claim when they got a chance, and they’re waiting out the expiration of his other obligations. I could see him seeing it as his “retirement” gig. Move to SoCal, become the voice of the Angels for a couple decades. There is just contractual obligations holding it up.

The virus and straits broadcasts and rotating supporting cast have just made an awkward situation way more awkward and visible. 

I can’t stand O’Neal. Gubi is great, IMO, but I feel sorry for him. He is having to carry every single broadcast as a color commentator with a sport (and a bad team) that doesn’t exactly lend itself to entertaining, rich conversation. He’s extremely underrated IMO and really deserves a partner like he had with Victor. That was a fantastic combo.

Gubi was terrible with Victor in the booth. He's been so much better without him.