• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How will the Angels handle their TV play-by-play situation next season?

BTH

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Since so many of you are in love with Vasgersian I hope we can get him, if it will make you happy.

Personally I'm not very impressed with Vasgersian, and I don't care for Valentine. When I see Valentine in the studio post-game I'm more inclined to switch it off than to watch.

Did you watch the game when they were paired together? It was by far the best we've had all year. They were very good together. 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, Stradling said:

Rex Hudler and Steve Physioc are the worst we’ve had. I’ll take O’Neil and his poor announcing over those two. 

Physioc was a world more competent as a PBP man but his absolute homerism and repetitive nature was such a massive grind.  I was so happy to see him not get renewed.  I wasn't a huge fan of Hud's but his love of baseball is undeniable.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

I can’t stand O’Neal. Gubi is great, IMO, but I feel sorry for him. He is having to carry every single broadcast as a color commentator with a sport (and a bad team) that doesn’t exactly lend itself to entertaining, rich conversation. He’s extremely underrated IMO and really deserves a partner like he had with Victor. That was a fantastic combo.

It's become easier to appreciate Gubi and how he goes about things after seeing him work with the revolving door of PBP guys.  I know people used to get annoyed with how cozy he and Victor had become but seeing him doing all the heavy lifting since Victor left has made it clear the dude is a legit pro.

I think Gubi is tolerable if he’s matched with a solid play by play guy. O’Neal isn’t that guy.

I like Matt V. and would be okay if they could get him full time. Short of that happening, I hope they’ll absolutely search far and wide for a new play by play guy for next year. O’Neal is just so far out of his element behind this mic. He’s a good guy and is good on Kings broadcasts, and that’s where he needs to stay.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Physioc was a world more competent as a PBP man but his absolute homerism and repetitive nature was such a massive grind.  I was so happy to see him not get renewed.  I wasn't a huge fan of Hud's but his love of baseball is undeniable.

I miss the Phys / Dparky Anderson days, when Sparky sounded like he was about to commit mass murder every night.

Phys was upbeat, pointing out some positive of those old 90s teams, and Anderson thought they sucked, and was ready to twist a knife deeply into Physiocs throat for saying otherwise.

"You think that was a productive out?.. DO YAH!" 

17 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I miss the Phys / Dparky Anderson days, when Sparky sounded like he was about to commit mass murder every night.

Phys was upbeat, pointing out some positive of those old 90s teams, and Anderson thought they sucked, and was ready to twist a knife deeply into Physiocs throat for saying otherwise.

"You think that was a productive out?.. DO YAH!" 

listening to Sparky Anderson drop his quadruple+ negatives was pretty entertaining. 

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

listening to Sparky Anderson drop his quadruple+ negatives was pretty entertaining. 

Here's a man who had seen like 100 years of baseball... and had to keep it together when Jack McDowell would load the bases, and Phys would point out McDowell was a Cy Young "only" like a decade prior.

1 minute ago, m0nkey said:

Yup I loved Rory on the radio and then in his move to TV

Rory and Terry were a great combo. Don't care what anyone says.

As someone who was glued to the radio in the summer of 02 and listened to what seems like 100 come from behind wins that year, those two were great to listen to, and I equate them to as big of a part of the memories as anyone else on that team.

O'Neil is pure unadulterated optimistic spin. No matter what the situation is. It's ok to a degree for casual fans and a young demographic. One has to wonder if he is following orders to frame everything that way. 

Gubi is solid. He played in a different era but has kept current with contemporary strategies and analytics. And it's always refreshing to hear things from a pitcher's point of view. 

He gets extra points for his hockey references. And bringing up Bo Belinsky tonight was a bonus! 

Belinsky was the Detmers or the expansion Angels for a brief time. Threw a no hitter in his fourth game. He and 'Daddy Wags' Leon Wagner and Dean Chance gave the Autry team a fun personality even as they struggled in the standings. Read the book on Belinsky to enter another world of athletes and celebrities. 

IMG_20220809_114702_3.jpg

IMG_20220809_114032_2.jpg

IMG_20220809_114451_7.jpg

Random thought: I wonder if we see the Angels try out a Gubicza/Langston broadcast booth.

It’d be a bit unconventional since they are both analysts and not PxP guys, but I don’t think there’s a huge need for PxP on TV broadcasts.

And IIRC, Langston was doing some PxP on the radio side for a few innings during games late last season.