• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vin Scully passes away

mmc

Man, Vin Scully was without a doubt my favorite announcer of all time. 

I would hear him on the radio when my parents drove me around and we listened to the Dodger games (before I became an Angel fan). My Dad used to always say "He talks too much" but I always thought if there was one guy I wanted to listen to talk too much about baseball, it was Vin. Such an absolute delight to listen to him on the radio. Always had stories that made me crack up, was so good at illustrating what he saw on the field. Such an amazing personality that will never be matched. Very sad to hear this news.

RIP Good Sir, you are already missed. 

Mr. Scully was the enduring voice of baseball for me from the day I got my first transistor radio until he stepped aside many years later. I liked Buddy Blattner and Russ Hodges and Dick Enberg. But Mr. Scully was the best. I think his best call was shutting himself up and giving the call to the crowd on Henry Aaron's No. 715.

As both a Dodger and Angels fan growing up in Southern California during the 80's, the summers belonged to Vin Scully announcing baseball. There was nobody better to listen to. Its sad that we as baseballs will never have any great people calling baseball games. Also mentioned earlier, we were spoiled to also have Chick Hearn and Bob Miller to announce games. If you want to expand, it was also awesome to have Madden announcing NFL games and Keith Jackson announcing Rose Bowl.

Vin was baseball to me..the best ever!!

Hot summer day in Chavez ravine with Vin spinning a yarn.

No one will ever even get close to how Vin Scully called a baseball game.

Simply the best!!

He had a way of making the game personal in a interesting way.

RIP Mr. Scully....you are a Icon of my childhood.

12 minutes ago, T.G. said:

The greatest storyteller of all time in the world of baseball.

He was not only a great storyteller, he was the master of choosing the right story to tell that ties into the game happening before you, and then pacing that story as the game moves along in perfect tandem.

A natural genius.  The best ever.

43 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Listening to Vin was part of my summer routine as a kid. I’m glad I have those memories.

RIP Vinnie

So true..really just brings back a very nostalgic feeling.

RIP Mr. Scully ....you were the best at what you did

He was baseball in a art form.

40 minutes ago, 2112 said:

He knew that some would only be listening for a few minutes, so he would always tell the score of the game often.  

Really wish more announcers knew that...

As someone who's spent my life listening to 90 percent of my games and only watching 10, it's frustrating when you only have a few minutes at a time to hear scores and updates.

17 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Really wish more announcers knew that...

As someone who's spent my life listening to 90 percent of my games and only watching 10, it's frustrating when you only have a few minutes at a time to hear scores and updates.

Damn, hope it hasn’t been Angels games, because that’s a lot of Terry Smith 

wow, this is the news you don't ever want to hear.

when i think of baseball voices, i hear him and joe garagiola together and dick enberg and don drysdale together. all four of them were perfect, and there was none better.

what was beautiful about vinnie was that he was present for so many historic moments and had a story for every occasion. in a modern world of people constantly yelling over one another, it stands out to me that vin worked alone about 95% of his time on the microphone. he knew his audience, and he knew when to talk, but he also knew when to shut up and let the moment speak for itself, something modern broadcasters have no clue about. 

he was the greatest storyteller, and i count it a privilege to have heard him call so many games. thank you, vin.

RIP Vinny. There is so much to dislike about the Dodgers, but not you. You were a legend. When I'd go to my cousins' home, and they'd always have the Dodgers game on, the only way I got through it was knowing that I would hear him calling a game. Exceotit really wasn't calling a game as much as it was just him painting a picture of what happened on the field. You could be in the other room, not seeing the game, but knowing exactly what happened by his description. 

Growing up, we were so blessed with 3 of the greatest announcers in sports. Vinny towers over Hearn and Miller, which just shows how great he was. And, by all accounts, a class act, great family man, and wonderful human being. I got to meet him once, and he was just that. Listening to him was like listening to a friend. 

I'm sure anyone who heard him can picture him nnow calling a game in heaven. "it's a beautiful day at the ballpark, not a cloud in the sky. Fans are streaming in, and to be honest, there isn't a bad seat in the house. I'd invite you to come down, but this is one time we can wait for you to be here.

While you're here, by sure to get a Dodger dog, brought to you by Farmer John.....

Let's look at the lineup that Tommy Lasorda brought out for us today. Boy is it a beauty! Leading off for the Dodgers, playing second base, none other than Jackie Robinson. Batting second, playing shortstop, Pee Wee Reese....

And now, it's time for Dodgers basebal!"

In the past, I've written how I believe that G-d is a baseball fan. G-d and all the players in heaven are happy to have their voice for the game.

I wish we, as Angels fans, had a run of 25+ years with Victor Rojas so that we could truly have an Angels voice that could have given us a fraction of the connection that helLA had with Vinny. 

RIP.