• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Organization is Going Nowhere but Down

BTH

Minasian cut Pujols lose, released Upton and fired Maddon.  Those are signs that Arte is letting Minasian do what he needs to do.  Again, those are “signs” that they’re moving in the right direction. Time will tell, but it looks like things could be getting better.

19 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think you are forgetting that Carpino also said this:

Yes...Minasian talks with Moreno & did most recently, that was widely reported, with regard to the firing Maddon. So, I guess I thought that was common knowledge that Perry was still having to discuss such/all moves with Arte.

52 minutes ago, khouse said:

Yes...Minasian talks with Moreno & did most recently, that was widely reported, with regard to the firing Maddon. So, I guess I thought that was common knowledge that Perry was still having to discuss such/all moves with Arte.

Are we pretending that GMs from every team don’t discuss firing a manager with the owner?  

This isn’t a good tweet. Can’t expect bullpen guys to duplicate their previous seasons. They’re too up and down. 

Rendons body is toast. It’ll be the same thing next year so plan ahead. Same goes for Trout. You can always count on him to miss time moving forward. These can’t be used as excuses anymore. 

This team/organization sucks because they’ve been stuck in between rebuilding and “competing” for years. Guess whose fault that is? Arte!

A guy like Walsh should’ve been traded at the deadline last year. I got sh!t on when I said they should’ve traded Skaggs. They should’ve traded Trout and now they definitely should trade Ohtani. I’d also try to get a decent return for Sandoval. 

Arte is never going to blow past his budget. So you need to start getting multiple pieces for some of these guys. However this organization flat out sucks at drafting so the chances of them identifying talent on other teams rosters is probably pretty slim. 

On 7/23/2022 at 6:13 PM, Angelsjunky said:

^And Arte will say, "We traded for Vernon Wells and that sucked. Then Pujols, then Hamilton, then Upton, then Rendon. Even Trout's contract is starting to look questionable. Why exactly should we sign a 30-year old shortstop for 8/$240M?" (e.g. Turner, Bogaerts, Swanson).

I think all Arte wants is for the team to be profitable - or at least that far supercedes actually winning.

As for the thread title, there's literally nowhere to go but up after this year.

What's the first step this off season? The number one issue to be resolved. 

11 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

What's the first step this off season? The number one issue to be resolved. 

I don't know if there's a first step - just a lot of steps. But a lot of off season decisions depend on these questions, and how they're answered over the next 58 games:

• Can Adell (or Moniak) show any inklings of improvement?
  • Is Rengifo legit?
  • Can Fletcher return to some semblance of 2018-20?
  • Are any minor league arms close to major league ready?
  • Is O'Hoppe close?
  • What's up with Griffin Canning and Chris Rodriguez?

Depending upon how those are answered, the roster issues needing to be resolved are:

• Second catcher
  • Middle infielder - either a starter or utility player
  • 3rd and 4th outfielders
  • Half the rotation
  • Half the bullpen
  • Depth, depth, and more depth

By my accounting, the default locks for the 2023 Opening Day roster are:

C Stassi

IF Rendon, Walsh, Rengifo, Fletcher

OF Trout, Ward

SP Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, maybe Suarez

RP Loup, Tepera, Quijada, maybe Barria

That's 13-15 players, meaning open questions on 11-13 slots - almost half the roster. Some of those will be filled from within, but that's still a good 5-8 players that Minasian needs to bring into the org, not even counting any minor leaguers he acquires.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't know if there's a first step - just a lot of steps. But a lot of off season decisions depend on these questions, and how they're answered over the next 58 games:

• Can Adell (or Moniak) show any inklings of improvement?
  • Is Rengifo legit?
  • Can Fletcher return to some semblance of 2018-20?
  • Are any minor league arms close to major league ready?
  • Is O'Hoppe close?
  • What's up with Griffin Canning and Chris Rodriguez?

Depending upon how those are answered, the roster issues needing to be resolved are:

• Second catcher
  • Middle infielder - either a starter or utility player
  • 3rd and 4th outfielders
  • Half the rotation
  • Half the bullpen
  • Depth, depth, and more depth

By my accounting, the default locks for the 2023 Opening Day roster are:

C Stassi

IF Rendon, Walsh, Rengifo, Fletcher

OF Trout, Ward

SP Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, maybe Suarez

RP Loup, Tepera, Quijada, maybe Barria

That's 13-15 players, meaning open questions on 11-13 slots - almost half the roster. Some of those will be filled from within, but that's still a good 5-8 players that Minasian needs to bring into the org, not even counting any minor leaguers he acquires.

My number 1 issue would be Ohtani. Can they sign him and if not do you keep him or trade him. This will be hanging over halos heads until resolved. 

4 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

My number 1 issue would be Ohtani. Can they sign him and if not do you keep him or trade him. This will be hanging over halos heads until resolved. 

That issue is almost in its own category, though it does theoretically impact everything else. If they can sign him, they'll have less money to spend. If they don't, they might need to consider long-term pitching options. But either way, he'll probably be on the Opening Day roster - unless they feel they just don't have enough of a core to compete in 2023 and decide to trade him.

Was gonna make a separate thread for this, but there's already enough negative ones.

But looking back at the past decade... after 20 years of rolling out MLB players, several of them star players, we hit an absolute wall after essentially Trout/Trumbo a decade ago.

Pitching wise (and hopefully that changes after recent drafts), we have (off the top of my head) Richard's and Shoemaker in the past decade. And neither exactly worked out.

I can't think of a single plus RP we brought up... maybe Jepsen? (As unpopular as he is here).

Then it gets worse....

OF. Marsh/Adell/Ward (who are still young so who knows). Walsh (1B now, and maybe bounces back). Calhoun 100 years ago. Not exactly great.

I can't remember the last SS we developed since Aybar. Last 2B since Kendrick.

Last 3B since Callaspo.

Last C since Conger, then back to Napoli/Mathis.

So it's one thing to say we've been bad at drafting and developing pitchers. But holy crap..... 9 positions on the field and its just as bad everywhere else.

Cron is probably the best we did in a decade.

(I'm sure I forgot somebody, but still).

On 7/25/2022 at 7:40 PM, Jay said:

I said it before and repeat it here: If I were the owner of a baseball team I would want to be involved.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:54 PM, Stradling said:

What owner of what business isn’t involved in the decision to fire someone that oversees your most valuable assets?  

The problem is that the Angels owner isn't good at it.