• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Organization is Going Nowhere but Down

BTH

I understand fans are upset, but I also think there's a drastic misunderstanding of the role and owner actually plays. Arte played a more active role a decade ago and even influenced some decisions three years ago. But since, he's hired a GM that has undergone the process of getting rid of what we as fans perceive to be "Arte's guys" and has remade the farm system in the image he believes will produce meaningful players.

A big part of the reshaping of the farm, and less money allocated toward scouts is due to technology. We have a GM who understands that with tracking technology at every field, he doesn't need to spend to fly scouts here and there and be at every game. Just look at what @Blargsaid regarding AFL games, there used to be a lot of scouts at the games, but not anymore. 

At this point, Arte is simply the money. Now because he's the money he does have a degree of influence, but the recent decisions strongly suggest that Minasian is the final word regarding personnel. 

So you can be pissed at Arte all you want, but it's going to be misdirected. 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Arte is hiring the GMs Arte hired Maddon, and Arte allowed Perry to fire Maddon, Arte’s hand picked guy. I have no idea if Minasian is the guy but he’s put together the best front office we’ve had in a very long time. 

what do you think is wrong with this franchise? not a loaded question. do you believe there is something systemic or ?

bad luck? 

is carpino a factor? is arte?

nothing is wrong with the franchise? 

5 hours ago, Trendon said:

and it all starts at the top, with Arte Moreno as owner.

There’s a reason why the Angels development has been awful, and it starts with Arte Moreno.

There’s a reason why the Angels have made horrible free agent signings, and it starts with Arte Moreno.

There’s a reason why the Angels keep hiring first-time GM’s who can be puppets, and it starts with Arte Moreno.

There’s a reason why the Angels have had instability in managerial positions, and it starts with Arte Moreno.

Jeff Fletcher will always be quick to point out that we don’t know how much the Angels spend on player development, scouts, front office personnel, et al.

But here’s what we do know:

- The Angels have consistently had issues paying/taking care of their minor leaguers.

- The Angels keep cycling through GMs and Managers with no stability.

- Arte Moreno has interfered with Baseball Operations (such as forcing the Rendon signing, nixing the Joc trade, forcing the Wells trade, and Pujols signing).

- The Angels have failed to consistently develop players outside of unicorns like Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani.

Until Arte Moreno changes his ways or sells the team, this team isn’t improving. Maybe they luck into 1 postseason appearance, but that’ll be it. He rode the coattails of what Bill Stoneman built at the beginning of his ownership, and it’s been a disaster ever since then besides lucking into 1 playoff appearance in 13 years.

Is it confirmed that Arte insisted on the Rendon signing or is that speculation?

Is it confirmed about the Pujols signing?  Or speculation.  

I have never seen any confirmation of it.

BTW is Joc or Ward better in the long haul?

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

I understand fans are upset, but I also think there's a drastic misunderstanding of the role and owner actually plays. Arte played a more active role a decade ago and even influenced some decisions three years ago. But since, he's hired a GM that has undergone the process of getting rid of what we as fans perceive to be "Arte's guys" and has remade the farm system in the image he believes will produce meaningful players.

A big part of the reshaping of the farm, and less money allocated toward scouts is due to technology. We have a GM who understands that with tracking technology at every field, he doesn't need to spend to fly scouts here and there and be at every game. Just look at what @Blargsaid regarding AFL games, there used to be a lot of scouts at the games, but not anymore. 

At this point, Arte is simply the money. Now because he's the money he does have a degree of influence, but the recent decisions strongly suggest that Minasian is the final word regarding personnel. 

So you can be pissed at Arte all you want, but it's going to be misdirected. 

At minimum Arte has been terrible at hiring GMs or firing them too quickly. 

I wish Arte would sell the team but it's really because I don't think he truly likes baseball anymore. I think he defers to Perry regarding personnel moves. Case in point:

-Waive Pujols. You think that was Arte's call?
-DFA Upton. Same--you think he went to Perry in a rage and demanded that?
-Raisel, 4 year contract. Do you think Arte was excited to sign a reliever to a 4-year deal? No
-Fire Joe Maddon. Arte's call? Heck no. 

I think the last two major moves Arte made were signing Rendon and firing Ausmus to hire Maddon. I think since he hired Perry, he's allowed him to make the decisions. I actually believe this is why he hasn't done any interview/pressers since after the 2020 season--he wants to make it clear he's out of the way and this is Perry's team. Of course he still has final say on budget and contracts, but I don't see Arte's fingerprints on these moves. Now what will he do with Ohtani? That's an interesting one. I don't know if he will let Perry handle the extension talks. Or how high of a budget they will get. But the Angels only have one true path to the playoffs next year: extend Ohtani, raise the spending limit above the Luxury tax, and sign 2 big FAs. If they don't do that, they are back here again in 365 days. They need to spend on a SS and 1-2 starters. If they don't, they will be irrelevant. I think Perry knows this 100%, and will spend the next few months selling Arte on how this is their only viable path to contention. I hope Arte listens like he has been. 

^And Arte will say, "We traded for Vernon Wells and that sucked. Then Pujols, then Hamilton, then Upton, then Rendon. Even Trout's contract is starting to look questionable. Why exactly should we sign a 30-year old shortstop for 8/$240M?" (e.g. Turner, Bogaerts, Swanson).

I think all Arte wants is for the team to be profitable - or at least that far supercedes actually winning.

As for the thread title, there's literally nowhere to go but up after this year.