• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal's article about Ohtani's extension

mmc

17 minutes ago, floplag said:

For the record it isnt about his ethnicity, its about the added revenue he creates that unique to most other players.
Could they, sure, will they... remains to be seen. 

But the gist of what you were saying is trade him this year instead of the off season.  He isn’t going to generate much revenue in the second half of a lost season.  They aren’t trading him this season if they are within 2 or 3 games of a playoff spot.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But the gist of what you were saying is trade him this year instead of the off season.  He isn’t going to generate much revenue in the second half of a lost season.  They aren’t trading him this season if they are within 2 or 3 games of a playoff spot.  

If Angels really want a chance at playoffs they need to go to a 5 man rotation. Even better be  men and go old school to a 4 man rotation

It doesn't matter how many prospects are dangled, I simply don't agree with trading extremely rare, 'unicorn' players like Ohtani when a sports team is lucky enough to have one come along. Maybe, just maybe consider it at the final trade deadline before he walks, but only then if it is clear he isn't going to sign again and the Angels are out of contention (again).

He would be a superstar if he was American doing what he's doing, but being from a different continent brings a whole other level of marketability and tens of millions in extra revenue, and thousands of new fans, for whoever Ohtani plays for. Whatever you think his baseball performance is worth, you probably need to add another $10m and it would still look like a bargain across a balance sheet.

Watching Shohei in another uniform is a horrible thought. 

Luckily for the Angels Ohtani is not playing like an MVP so his agent will have to concede on his demands from the stupid money contract. 

Or he can be a dumbass and hope that next year Ohtani plays at an MVP level but if he doesn't then years and dollars are taking a big hit. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Luckily for the Angels Ohtani is not playing like an MVP so his agent will have to concede on his demands from the stupid money contract. 

Or he can be a dumbass and hope that next year Ohtani plays at an MVP level but if he doesn't then years and dollars are taking a big hit. 

People said the same thing about Judge. And now he looks like a genius. Let’s not resort to name calling when at the end of the day this is a business and lots of smart and rich people are responsible for making these really important decisions. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yes of course I say the same regardless of his ethnicity.  As for can they go on a run, I mean, why not?  They were 10+ games over .500 at one point, zero reason they can’t be there again.  

I’ve been on the trade Ohtani band wagon for awhile now, but to trade him right now would be nuts. With the way this team is built and what we saw in April and May why not see where things go? They could get healthy and hot come October, and Ohtani, Trout, Rendon, Ward in the lineup could single handedly win some series.

23 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

One thing to remember about the “three players for $120M” thing.

Ohtani’s first FA season is 24

Rendon’s deal includes 24, 25, 26, so that’s only 3 years of overlap. They could always backload Ohtani’s deal (they backloaded Rendon’s) to make it more workable. 

Not to mention it won’t be $120 million for 3 players, it’ll be closer to $105-110 million. 

We also have a lot of young pitching depth to help offset some of that. If Ward remains playing at an all-star level, we also have him for 4 years of control. Walsh for 3 I think. Marsh and Adell possibly playing up to their potential. Not saying I do it but it wouldn't necessarily mean we are doomed. Sure would help if Arte upped the payroll 10 to make it happen though. 

His ROI goes beyond just pitching and hitting stats. His profile elevates the team's visibility worldwide.

I can just talk on a very small level of metrics for the @AngelsWin Twitter (@Chuckster70 can probably confirm the same for the website) but the amount of followers and interaction on the AW Twitter from people outside the US has exploded exponentially since the Angels signed Ohtani. There are legit die hard Angels fans now in Japan, Brazil, the UK, Europe, and the demographics show that Ohtani is a legit worldwide draw for everything Angels (Including this very website)

On 6/14/2022 at 4:04 PM, eligrba4ever said:

Unless the Angels win NOW, Ohtani will walk away at his first opportunity. He said as much publicly last winter.

No he didn't.   Do you work for NY Times?

Do you know most on this board follows Angels religiously and heard the exact quote.

Edited by stormngt

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

No he didn't.   Do you work for NY Times?

Do you know most on this board follows Angeks religiously and heard the exact quote.

Dude, you can't even spell Angels so quit thinking you can call people out when most of your posts are muddled messes.

17 hours ago, Stradling said:

Exactly, its about revenue, not making the team better.  And were now almost 5 out and thats of the expanded field so weve regressed even further from last season. 
They have to know by know, or at minimum have a good idea what his plans and thier options are, if they dont they are incompetent.
All im saying is that if they are not reasonably sure they can get it done, then you have to look at options.
I still care a lot more for the name on the front of the jersey, than the back, so no one should be 100% untouchable.
I would trade Trout and Ohtani or anyone else if it meant getting the angels back into winning ways sooner.   Watching two great players on a crappy team gives me personally no joy whatsoever. 
Barring some major turn around in the next couple weeks, and i mean major, you gotta start selling.  Its long passed time if this team actually cares about winning ever again.  How many years are we going to have these same absurd arguments?

3 hours ago, floplag said:

Exactly, its about revenue, not making the team better.  And were now almost 5 out and thats of the expanded field so weve regressed even further from last season. 
They have to know by know, or at minimum have a good idea what his plans and thier options are, if they dont they are incompetent.
All im saying is that if they are not reasonably sure they can get it done, then you have to look at options.
I still care a lot more for the name on the front of the jersey, than the back, so no one should be 100% untouchable.
I would trade Trout and Ohtani or anyone else if it meant getting the angels back into winning ways sooner.   Watching two great players on a crappy team gives me personally no joy whatsoever. 
Barring some major turn around in the next couple weeks, and i mean major, you gotta start selling.  Its long passed time if this team actually cares about winning ever again.  How many years are we going to have these same absurd arguments?

Ok Tommy Lasorda. We all care about the Angels, it doesn’t you are special or unique saying you care about the name on the front of the jersey.  

Also you said this:

“Same absurd arguments” after saying “its long passed time if this team actually cares about winning ever again” 

It’s just hilarious.  

At the end of the day they will re-sign him or trade him, but they won’t trade him in the next 6 weeks.  

It's a real existential problem for the organization. 

On the field Ohtani has nowhere near the production Babe Ruth had, but he still is marketed and promoted as the second coming of Ruth.  And apparently wants to be paid as such.

But really, it is mostly built on his first half of last year. I really doubt that he will put up full seasons like that in the future as he ages and becomes more susceptible to injury. His value also is as a kind of novelty act that draws attention and big money from various sources. 

Even his failure to speak English enhances his mystique and isolates him as someone unique and a curiosity to non Angel fans. 

But when it comes to business and heated negotiations the masks are discarded. If he is perceived as selfish and greedy it may alienate a percentage of fans. Especially if they are drawn out and are leaked to the public. 

The team image the last dozen or so years has been built around a few  big name, big money players. But that hasn't helped the team become a contender. Quite a few teams that were contenders peaked,  got bad, rebuilt and are again contenders. The Angels have just remained mediocre, and rarely even had exciting last months of a playoff push. 

I would wait it out till next year's trade deadline if no extension is signed.  But aggressively push for a deal as soon as possible. Obviously he and his agents know the market and their future options. And he has his own career ambitions. 

it seems Arte is addicted to the big name approach though so unless Ohtani explicitly wants to go elsewhere he will be the highest paid player in history. Surrounded by a motley mix around him. 

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok Tommy Lasorda. We all care about the Angels, it doesn’t you are special or unique saying you care about the name on the front of the jersey.  

Also you said this:

“Same absurd arguments” after saying “its long passed time if this team actually cares about winning ever again” 

It’s just hilarious.  

At the end of the day they will re-sign him or trade him, but they won’t trade him in the next 6 weeks.  

Always sarcasm...  But yeah, he was right. 
All the same argument here year after year and the team is no better off, but sure lets keep doing the same things, the same mistakes over and over and over... 

34 minutes ago, floplag said:

Always sarcasm...  But yeah, he was right. 
All the same argument here year after year and the team is no better off, but sure lets keep doing the same things, the same mistakes over and over and over... 

Yea, we should try a new mistake, like trading a generational player.  That has worked so well for every other team that has done that.  

This was also sarcasm.

Can’t see Arte letting his cash cow go unless he’s told 100% Ohtani won’t resign. 

if he doesn’t agree to an extension by the start or next year I start looking to deal him. I agree with Strad that I wouldn’t be looking at a 10 yeaR type of deal. If he wants to eclipse Mad Max ok, then you go 5-6 years at most IMO. If he’s willing to come down off the total number then maybe look at 7? 

22 hours ago, Blarg said:

Dude, you can't even spell Angels so quit thinking you can call people out when most of your posts are muddled messes.

Wonderful logic.  I have mispelling of the word Angels so my logic  must be wrong.

Typos happen to everyone I just don't waste type commenting on others having them.

My comment was Ohtani never said he was leaving the Angels.  He said he wants to win.  Newsflash everybody wants to win.

Care to debate the validity of my comment?  Or do you want to act as my English comp professor?