• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal's article about Ohtani's extension

mmc

19 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

....I would wait it out till next year's trade deadline if no extension is signed.  But aggressively push for a deal as soon as possible. Obviously he and his agents know the market and their future options. And he has his own career ambitions. 

I don't know that we can wait that long....No need to do anything now, let's get through the season and see how things go....but if it is pretty obvious he isn't going to sign, you start exploring trades in the offseason....the question then becomes can you get more this winter or next July? I would think this winter....I can't see a team tearing apart its farm system for a two month rental....Might be more likely that a team would consider a megadeal for a year of Ohtani and a longer window to negotiate a deal with him...

He is neither a superstar as a hitter or pitcher. I don't think you can pay him on combined WAR because both sides of his game he has limitations. Maybe 70 to 80% of combined WAR simply because of how the Angels have to make adjustments for his pitching schedule. Otherwise you are just paying for the hype. 

So how would that work? At the end of the season you try to get Ohtani to sign an extension, to avoid arbitration. Say he doesn't want to sign an extension, so you decide to trade him. Do you go to arbitration and then trade him? Or trade him without any contract?

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

But at least if they trade him they won't be paying him 10/500.

Then the Angels become the team that couldn’t win or keep Ohtani, the most impactful player in modern baseball.  That will be quite a legacy to live with.

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

That would be so fucking stupid to pay him that kind of money.

The Angels will need a 200 million dollar payroll to keep Ohtani. It’s stupid because the Angels absolutely suck at finding role players.  If the Angels could have a 70% success rate at finding role players, it makes sense. So far, the Angels only seem to excel at finding shitty one dimensional players.

26 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't know why I'm responding to this but Arte will give Ohtani 10/500 before he lets Minasian trade him to the Dodgers.

Ohtani is not signing with Angels. He is a smart person why would he sign with a team that year after year after makes same mistakes and lose. This will 7th straight losing season. He will test FA so it's better to trade him before he walks. If he becomes a FA will want to play on west coast and who spends and wins year after year on west coast. Trade him and get something now before he walks. How many losing seasons before fans understand a rebuild is in order. You are right Arte may not trade him to Dodgers but he may end up with them. What will change next year? Angels will need to replace 50% of rotation plus middle INF need 1 maybe 2 OF. Arte will not give him 500 for 10 years.

8 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I'd rather keep Ohtani and not get to the post season than trade him away or watch him go as a FA and still probably not get into the post season

I'd rather keep him too, but not at 10/500