• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Netflix:  Code 8  It's a scifi about people with superpowers, but they are ostracized and considered second rate citizens.  I didn't get it, and kind of tuned out most of the movie.  And no, there is no payoff at the end, just more why was this even made.  It's trending on Netflix right now for some reason.  It's a pass.  

12 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  Code 8  It's a scifi about people with superpowers, but they are ostracized and considered second rate citizens.  I didn't get it, and kind of tuned out most of the movie.  And no, there is no payoff at the end, just more why was this even made.  It's trending on Netflix right now for some reason.  It's a pass.  

no way wow GIF

3 hours ago, RallyMo said:

DEVS

I just watched the finale. I really, really liked this as a whole. I think the ending was worthwhile. Great cinematography, great music...

I'll say 9/10 for me. It's not for everyone, but I was impressed.

I plan on finishing this tonight... 2 episodes to go and it's been solid so far.

3 hours ago, RallyMo said:

DEVS

I just watched the finale. I really, really liked this as a whole. I think the ending was worthwhile. Great cinematography, great music...

I'll say 9/10 for me. It's not for everyone, but I was impressed.

Where are you watching it?

Netflix, Amazon?

Just finished up watching the Cursed Films series on Shudder and it's great. It's free for 30 days right now with code: SHUTIN.

The overall tone of the show is basically calling bullshit on the idea of a "curse" and it's awesome. It's a short 5-episode series. The weakest episode is the first on The Exorcist. The 2nd episode on The Omen is solid, but the final three on Poltergeist, The Crow, and Twilight Zone: The Movie are all great and tough subject matter tackled very respectfully and gut-punching at times. In The Crow episode, there's a pretty good demonstration of how blanks work and how the Brandon Lee accident occurred. It also doesn't go too easy on John Landis for the Twilight Zone debacle. The show looks great and very well shot for what is basically a talking heads documentary, but looks better than pretty much any I ever see. Worth checking for anyone who likes to hear behind the scenes stuff on horror movies. If you don't enjoy The Exorcist episode since it has some "sillier" stuff in it, though it is for a purpose, stick with it all the way through. It's just 5 short 30-minute episodes.

"What's inside Devs?" ... "Everything"

What doesn't this show have? It lies somewhere at the convergence of science, technology, romance, espionage, with big picture themes, well developed characters and a plot that would make Christopher Nolan jealous.

Now I am clearly going to be biased towards this show. Probably my all time favorite film is Steven Soderberg's Solaris and this series opens and closes with the musical theme from Solaris. The giant holographic projection of Nick Offerman's character's dead daughter almost has to be an homage to the original Tarkovski version. [If you think discussing themes are spoilers skip this paragraph] Perhaps the strongest theme of Solaris was the idea of living for the moment because there were never any second chances, at least not in this life. Here I got the feeling that creator Alex Garland wants to reframe the question within the context of an infinite universe. If religion doesn't give you peace, perhaps this little piece of science can.

While Devs is not a perfect show, and probably not for people who actively hate science fiction for me this is as good as it gets. It's probably the best single season of television I've seen since season 4 of Game of Thrones and the best first season of a show I've seen since Mad Men.

Spoiler

This may sound counter intuitive but I hope there won't be a second season. Obviously the series is set up for one perfectly, with all the characters now reset and existing in either the original world, the simulation world or both, with the additional complexity of seeming government oversight. The season ends so perfectly though, with Katie's connection to Jacob now only being through the screen, mirroring Jacob's view of his family at the start of the show, and with Lily now aware of the mistake she made leaving Jamie, but without the cost it took to understand that.

Question for anyone who watched to the end...

Spoiler

Why do you think Lily is able to throw the gun away at the end, when no one else seems capable of making their own decisions?

Going to finish up Bosch here in a minute. Another good season.

A friend of mine has been coming over as we've been cooking up a storm and she has us watching Prodigal Son. The show and premise aren't bad, but the acting and simplistic network tv formula is...you can guess every single episode when a new one starts. It's not bad, but nothing I would go out of my way to see unless you literally had nothing else to watch.

5 hours ago, Redondo said:

Checked out episode 1 of Devs

Really went all over the place. Curious to see where they go with this.

Yeah there is a lot going on. Parts of it focus on very hard sci-fi while you could also describe the plot to someone without even mentioning that aspect of it entirely.