• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor WARd

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Also, for those who are curious, this is last year's media guide, which lists a lot of our front office members.  It's strangely not listed our website (most other teams have theirs on their team website):  http://www.angelsmediaguide.com

Starting page 15.

that has to be wrong.  there are more than 8 scouts listed.  

3 minutes ago, Rollinghard said:

We could sell on his mini rebound. 

"Adell is slashing .355/.500/1.032 with five home runs, six doubles, 12 runs, 10 RBI and a stolen base across 40 plate appearances since his demotion to Triple-A Salt Lake on May 3."

I'm not giving up on him, he's still young and has immense talent, but maybe he should change his name to AAAAdell. He always destroys the minors but can't hack it in the bigs right now. 

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

I'm not giving up on him, he's still young and has immense talent, but maybe he should change his name to AAAAdell. He always destroys the minors but can't hack it in the bigs right now. 

I wouldn't say he's always destroyed in the minors. Last year he put up a .934 OPS but in 2019 it was .834 between three levels. With that said, I agree that I don't want to give up on him at all yet. His power is something we have not really had since Trout coming through the system and being 23 is still very young. Have to hope he somehow improves his defense at some point in left and his plate discipline at the major league level. The latter is the most encouraging sign of his quick start in the minors with 8 walks in 40 Plate Apperances. The negative being that he is also striking out at a 25% rate but we can obviously live with that with an increased OBP and high slugging %

One thing about Eppler. 

Eppler made a bunch of questionable free agent signings, but his draft picks and minor league moves look good. Perry has a bit better eye for pitching apparently with Detmers and Sisleth. 

Eppler's worst decision was the hiring of Brad Ausmus as manager. That set an improving team back two years. Ausmus was absolutely terrible and should've never gotten the job.

2 hours ago, Rollinghard said:

"Adell is slashing .355/.500/1.032 with five home runs, six doubles, 12 runs, 10 RBI and a stolen base across 40 plate appearances since his demotion to Triple-A Salt Lake on May 3."

If someone is willing to give the Halos something they need right now, then you have to consider it. 

17 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

I wouldn't say he's always destroyed in the minors. Last year he put up a .934 OPS but in 2019 it was .834 between three levels. With that said, I agree that I don't want to give up on him at all yet. His power is something we have not really had since Trout coming through the system and being 23 is still very young. Have to hope he somehow improves his defense at some point in left and his plate discipline at the major league level. The latter is the most encouraging sign of his quick start in the minors with 8 walks in 40 Plate Apperances. The negative being that he is also striking out at a 25% rate but we can obviously live with that with an increased OBP and high slugging %

He actually had a 22.9% K rate in 35 games last year with the big club, but I feel like that was him trying to hit more for contact than power (his SLG% dropped massively along with it).  

Just now, Jason said:

If someone is willing to give the Halos something they need right now, then you have to consider it. 

Teams don't usually make trades in May.  That said, I do think we need to recognize that our OF depth is pretty thin.  It does suck for Adell that he basically has to stay in the minors, but beyond him, we don't really have any legit OF options.  If someone gets hurt, which tends to happen over the course of a long season .. if Adell is traded, who would play OF if, say, Marsh is out?  Something to consider - great teams in this league tend to have significant depth to weather the inevitable injuries that come.

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

One thing about Eppler. 

Eppler made a bunch of questionable free agent signings, but his draft picks and minor league moves look good. Perry has a bit better eye for pitching apparently with Detmers and Sisleth. 

Eppler's worst decision was the hiring of Brad Ausmus as manager. That set an improving team back two years. Ausmus was absolutely terrible and should've never gotten the job.

I think Eppler drafted Detmers.....

Man I am baffled on Ward.  Thrilled of course and fully happy to have been totally wrong about (I 100% gave up on him and was perfectly fine moving on).

But some confusion remains.   Where did this come from?  I still see a swing that, to me, looks like an over-coached high school player. . . Like he is just executing some techniques rather than being a natural hitter.

Man I hope this is for real.  The Angels are so much better with this additional offense.

I will also say it is kind of funny for people to see Ward doing well, see he has basically taken the job that was there for Adell, and then knee-jerk into viewIng Adell as a bust that is dispensable.

Maybe the Ward lesson is to have more patience with Adell, not less.

2 hours ago, Rollinghard said:

How many errors?

14 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think Eppler drafted Detmers.....

I think while our tendency in general is to ascribe credit to one person, likely Detmers' success can be ascribed to both Eppler AND Minasian (and their "developmental teams").  Eppler obviously found and drafted Detmers, who then began to learn under Eppler's team, but then Minasian took over and likely learned from Minasian's team, too.  Notably, I remember Syndergaard saying he signed with us because he was really impressed with Minasian's plan/strategy for him in terms of how to improve his pitching outcomes.

So in the end, IMO, I think credit is due to both Eppler and Minasian for the current pitching success we are seeing right now.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I think while our tendency in general is to ascribe credit to one person, likely Detmers' success can be ascribed to both Eppler AND Minasian (and their "developmental teams").  Eppler obviously found and drafted Detmers, who then began to learn under Eppler's team, but then Minasian took over and likely learned from Minasian's team, too.  Notably, I remember Syndergaard saying he signed with us because he was really impressed with Minasian's plan/strategy for him in terms of how to improve his pitching outcomes.

So in the end, IMO, I think credit is due to both Eppler and Minasian for the current pitching success we are seeing right now.

Interesting, do you happen to have a link for this? Not doubting you just  curious what else he had to say. Hopefully, and assuming he stays healthy and effective, that increases our chances of resigning him.

13 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Man I am baffled on Ward.  Thrilled of course and fully happy to have been totally wrong about (I 100% gave up on him and was perfectly fine moving on).

Same. My last 66ers game - in 2017, about a year before I moved out of California - I remember thinking Man, Ward was a terrible first round choice. But at least Thaiss might still be good.

10 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Interesting, do you happen to have a link for this? Not doubting you just  curious what else he had to say. Hopefully, and assuming he stays healthy and effective, that increases our chances of resigning him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/11/23/perry-minasian-angels-noah-syndergaard/

Syndergaard praised Minasian, explaining that while he would have to listen to the Angels’ pitching coaches, of course, Minasian’s breakdown of his mechanics was enlightening and spot on. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/noah-syndergaard-reasons-for-signing-with-angels

"It was a no-brainer once I had that sitdown meeting with Perry,” Syndergaard said Friday. “He had a really in-depth plan of attack to get me back to where I was in 2015, '16 and '18. Not pitching for two years, he had a great game plan that I'm 100% confident in that's gonna keep me healthy and allow me to flourish and blossom to my true potential."

“From that dinner, I got a sense of his passion and desire to win, and it got me really fired up,” Syndergaard said. “And just being able to talk pitching mechanics with the guy, I don’t really know too many GMs I trust about that. But it was a just breath of fresh air to just hear his baseball knowledge. He was able to break down some of the flaws from the last couple years when I came back.”