• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022-2023 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

1 minute ago, deepdrive said:

Yeah, that's neat. But I need video. We'll see though. It looks promising.

Speaking of video, did you see where the NHL is talking to Sinclair about buying the game rights from them? I guess Sinclair is on the verge of bankruptcy. I also saw something about offering a streaming service to fans on a subscription basis. I don't know what it is, but it's supposed to be coming in the next couple weeks.

Do you know anymore about this than I do (not much)?

Not much more than you.  I posted it in the random links post in the Hangout forum.  No one really answered.

But from what I understand, the NBA, MLB, and NHL are talking to buy Diamond Sports, which is the division of Sinclair Broadcasting that owns the 21 RSN's.  I'm not sure if they are going to buy them from Sinclair, or from Bankruptcy court.  For the NHL, it makes sense, since from what I read, the average money they get is around $25 million a team.  MLB teams like the Angels have the most to lose.  If the bankruptcy goes through, their tv deal could be negated.  Which might be why the MLB wants to buy them to preserve the RSN deals for now.

But I don't know if the leagues buy Diamond, if the broadcast rights would also be retained, or if the leagues are just buying them to have the broadcast infrastructure.  

Just my opinion, but this may be the end of RSN's for hockey.  Or I should say, this will be the end of NHL network blackouts.  Personally, I hope the NHL takes advantage and brings everything under the streaming umbrella.  If there were no blackouts, I'd definitely subscribe.  And since their rights deals are so low, it makes sense to keep the traditional cable stations.  

20 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Not much more than you.  I posted it in the random links post in the Hangout forum.  No one really answered.

But from what I understand, the NBA, MLB, and NHL are talking to buy Diamond Sports, which is the division of Sinclair Broadcasting that owns the 21 RSN's.  I'm not sure if they are going to buy them from Sinclair, or from Bankruptcy court.  For the NHL, it makes sense, since from what I read, the average money they get is around $25 million a team.  MLB teams like the Angels have the most to lose.  If the bankruptcy goes through, their tv deal could be negated.  Which might be why the MLB wants to buy them to preserve the RSN deals for now.

But I don't know if the leagues buy Diamond, if the broadcast rights would also be retained, or if the leagues are just buying them to have the broadcast infrastructure.  

Just my opinion, but this may be the end of RSN's for hockey.  Or I should say, this will be the end of NHL network blackouts.  Personally, I hope the NHL takes advantage and brings everything under the streaming umbrella.  If there were no blackouts, I'd definitely subscribe.  And since their rights deals are so low, it makes sense to keep the traditional cable stations.  

Okay, I just found a little more info. If you go to:

https://www.ballysports.com/plus/faqs

It's supposed to break on Monday. Home game subscription is $20/mo or $189 annually. I'm thinking that only includes the Bally telecasts. 

I don't get the pricing. I'm pretty sure it won't include more than the first round of playoffs. So, 7 monthes x $20 equals $140. What's the annual subscription get you except burned if they go into bankruptcy?

1 minute ago, deepdrive said:

Okay, I just found a little more info. If you go to:

https://www.ballysports.com/plus/faqs

It's supposed to break on Monday. Home game subscription is $20/mo or $189 annually. I'm thinking that only includes the Bally telecasts. 

I don't get the pricing. I'm pretty sure it won't include more than the first round of playoffs. So, 7 monthes x $20 equals $140. What's the annual subscription get you except burned if they go into bankruptcy?

$20 price point is a bit expensive also.  Considering your other streaming services like Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Disney, etc are much lower.  ESPN+ is $9.99.  

17 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Of the Big 4 leagues the NHL gets by far the lowest percentage of revenue from tv rights. Anything they can do to increase that is on the table

Making it so hard to follow a home team on TV can't be helping that (in the long run at least, I would think). It 's hard to really get a grasp on things without the leagues info. I don't see how what they're doing works in the big picture. It just looks like a short sighted money grab without a long term grow the league plan.

But hey, I'm looking at it from the point of view of someone who is already a fan. Maybe they're looking at how to bring in new fans, not keep the existing. They may be seeing this present set up as their Monday Night Football break into the big time. The only thing is, MNF was free and accessible to anyone who had a TV. 

We'll see. There's still pirate sites if they leave it a mess. That worked pretty good last season.

8 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of a season Lundestrom has. If he keeps progressing, does he become more than a 3rd line center? Or, does he do better as an elite 3rd line player?

Tough call.  With Z and McTavish as centers.  Then you have Rico and Strome as centers also.  You definitely don't want to bump McTavish, because his upside is so much higher than Lundestrom.  Rico has been the swiss army knife and can play Center or Wing.  But you just paid Strome to be a center.  Can't see them moving him to a wing.  That's why I really think it's going to be Rico/Strome/Terry as one line as opposed to the talking heads saying it's going to be Strome/Z/Terry.  Plus its better to have multiple dangerous lines than one dangerous line.  

BTW.  The more time that goes on.  I think Rico and GMBM were at war with each other.  I still don't understand how Rico could have been put on waivers.  Then BM getting outed as abusive and being removed.  

22 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

@deepdrive  Looked at the highlights of the AZ game.  You can see them on the Ducks website.  A few things stood out.  Zellweger in the shootout practice.  The stick handling.  Zellweger from the point with the shot pass to Strome.  Something we have been missing the last few seasons.  

Yeah, the guy looks really good.

Ok, time to get back into the sport. Grew up a Devils fan because of Brodeur and Neidermayer, but after the time off and being turned off by the previous lockouts I'm coming back as a Ducks fan. What are we looking at and what do I nee to know about the team? Last I watched Perry and Getzlaf were on the team and those days are gone.

I see Zegras on the cover of the NHL game, so I imagine he's a stud. I see Henrique on the team and liked him on the Devils. Silfverberg, Fowler, and Gibson are guys I remember being good. Who else to keep an eye on?

Looks like the season kicks off next week on the 12th. What are the expectations for the team? I saw something on social media (like a chart) that listed teams by their traits or characteristics (most talented, most scrappy, etc.) and they listed the Ducks as the most promising or the youngest with the brightest future....something like that. Is that the general consensus of the team?

I get the itch to play and get back into the sport when the playoffs roll around, but generally am occupied this time of year, but want to make an effort and maybe even go to some games.

Cheers 

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ok, time to get back into the sport. Grew up a Devils fan because of Brodeur and Neidermayer, but after the time off and being turned off by the previous lockouts I'm coming back as a Ducks fan. What are we looking at and what do I nee to know about the team? Last I watched Perry and Getzlaf were on the team and those days are gone.

I see Zegras on the cover of the NHL game, so I imagine he's a stud. I see Henrique on the team and liked him on the Devils. Silfverberg, Fowler, and Gibson are guys I remember being good. Who else to keep an eye on?

Looks like the season kicks off next week on the 12th. What are the expectations for the team? I saw something on social media (like a chart) that listed teams by their traits or characteristics (most talented, most scrappy, etc.) and they listed the Ducks as the most promising or the youngest with the brightest future....something like that. Is that the general consensus of the team?

I get the itch to play and get back into the sport when the playoffs roll around, but generally am occupied this time of year, but want to make an effort and maybe even go to some games.

Cheers 

Zegras.  You will like him.  Young, cocky, full of skill.

McTavish.  Another youngster.  has the making of a future captain.

Terry.  Had a huge breakout season last year.  Came out of nowhere.  But how he scored his goals tells me it wasn't a fluke.

Other players.  Comtois.  Had a promising year 2 years ago, then fell off a cliff.  This will be sink or swim season for him this year.  Henrique (Rico) is the gritty veteran of the group.  I am under the opinion that he was railroaded by former GM Bob Murray a few years back.  He's really been solid for the team, and I think one of the leaders.  Strome.  New guy on the team.  Signed to a 5 year deal from the Rangers.  He won't be spectacular, but will show up and be a strong veteran presence.  Vatrano.  Another new guy.  Signed to a 3 year deal, also I think from the Rangers.  He's a shooter and will help the wing.  Lundestrom.  He's another of the young guns.  He's an under the radar guy that has gotten better each year.  He won't jump out at you, but plays a solid 2 way game.  Jones.  Tore his pec a few games into last season and derailed the entire season.  He's the mean streak big guy.  He is hungry to play, and so far looks really good.  The rest should fill out the team well.  Carrick, who is out with injury, should be our fighter this season.

On D.  Drysdale is the young defensive star.  He got overmatched last season, so expecting him to make a big jump this year.  He has the potential.  Fowler is the Ducks veteran.  Nothing flashy, just there.  Klingberg is a one year addition from the Stars.  He is known for his offense and qbing the PP.  He could lead to a long term contract or traded at the deadline for a haul of prospect and picks.  Kulikov is suppose to shore up the D, but I'm not that familiar with him.  The rest will fill out and fight for spots.  Shattenkirk just sucks and will be traded.  Speed is his enemy, and the league is all speed now.  One to watch in the future is Zellweger.  Kid lit up the World Juniors, has speed and vision on the ice, but is still young and small 5'10" if that.  Could be called up after the trade purge happens.

As far as the team goes.  They are young.  The consensus is, they won't be a playoff team this season.  But in 2-3 years should be in it.  I think they will surprise and contend for a playoff spot this year.  But if they don't make the playoffs, I wouldn't be disappointed.  Their big issue will be defense.  Although with the people added, this offseason, they might surprise also.  Goalie can also be an issue.  They have a lot invested in Gibson (or as I call him Gibswim).  The teams fortunes will probably rest on how good he looks.  The good news is, we have a kid at San Diego named Dostal that is waiting to get a permanent NHL gig.  

If the Ducks are out of it by the trade deadline, expect Klingberg, Grant, Shattenkirk, Beaulieu, and Kulikov to be traded.  They are all on expiring contracts.  Wouldn't be too bad, as they all aren't core players.

Also to note.  We got a new GM midway through last season.  He's part of the new wave of Yzerman disciples.  You probably have seen him play, as he was a scrapper.  Pat Verbeek, I call him Beeker.  So far, his moves have been solid.  

Welcome to the fold. I usually talk to myself here, @deepdrive is the other faithful.  

A lot of 'new' with the Ducks.

It should be a good season to catch on with. Verbeek looks to be a very good move. But it's early. Not enough time to see the full deal and the weaknesses that will show up. It's going to take 2-3 seasons before the team is in his image. But, what we've seen so far looks really good - especially compared to what Bob was showing us.

Compared to watching the Angels, this should be good times.

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Zegras.  You will like him.  Young, cocky, full of skill.

McTavish.  Another youngster.  has the making of a future captain.

Terry.  Had a huge breakout season last year.  Came out of nowhere.  But how he scored his goals tells me it wasn't a fluke.

Other players.  Comtois.  Had a promising year 2 years ago, then fell off a cliff.  This will be sink or swim season for him this year.  Henrique (Rico) is the gritty veteran of the group.  I am under the opinion that he was railroaded by former GM Bob Murray a few years back.  He's really been solid for the team, and I think one of the leaders.  Strome.  New guy on the team.  Signed to a 5 year deal from the Rangers.  He won't be spectacular, but will show up and be a strong veteran presence.  Vatrano.  Another new guy.  Signed to a 3 year deal, also I think from the Rangers.  He's a shooter and will help the wing.  Lundestrom.  He's another of the young guns.  He's an under the radar guy that has gotten better each year.  He won't jump out at you, but plays a solid 2 way game.  Jones.  Tore his pec a few games into last season and derailed the entire season.  He's the mean streak big guy.  He is hungry to play, and so far looks really good.  The rest should fill out the team well.  Carrick, who is out with injury, should be our fighter this season.

On D.  Drysdale is the young defensive star.  He got overmatched last season, so expecting him to make a big jump this year.  He has the potential.  Fowler is the Ducks veteran.  Nothing flashy, just there.  Klingberg is a one year addition from the Stars.  He is known for his offense and qbing the PP.  He could lead to a long term contract or traded at the deadline for a haul of prospect and picks.  Kulikov is suppose to shore up the D, but I'm not that familiar with him.  The rest will fill out and fight for spots.  Shattenkirk just sucks and will be traded.  Speed is his enemy, and the league is all speed now.  One to watch in the future is Zellweger.  Kid lit up the World Juniors, has speed and vision on the ice, but is still young and small 5'10" if that.  Could be called up after the trade purge happens.

As far as the team goes.  They are young.  The consensus is, they won't be a playoff team this season.  But in 2-3 years should be in it.  I think they will surprise and contend for a playoff spot this year.  But if they don't make the playoffs, I wouldn't be disappointed.  Their big issue will be defense.  Although with the people added, this offseason, they might surprise also.  Goalie can also be an issue.  They have a lot invested in Gibson (or as I call him Gibswim).  The teams fortunes will probably rest on how good he looks.  The good news is, we have a kid at San Diego named Dostal that is waiting to get a permanent NHL gig.  

If the Ducks are out of it by the trade deadline, expect Klingberg, Grant, Shattenkirk, Beaulieu, and Kulikov to be traded.  They are all on expiring contracts.  Wouldn't be too bad, as they all aren't core players.

Also to note.  We got a new GM midway through last season.  He's part of the new wave of Yzerman disciples.  You probably have seen him play, as he was a scrapper.  Pat Verbeek, I call him Beeker.  So far, his moves have been solid.  

Welcome to the fold. I usually talk to myself here, @deepdrive is the other faithful.  

Killer write up, dude. I appreciate the time you put into it.

Expectations low, but good to see young guys on the come up. Bummer on Gibson, I always hoped he turned out to be the stud between the pipes as he was touted as a prospect.

I remember Verbeek when he played with the Rangers and Stars in the 90's. I remember them making a change, but didn't know he filled the role.

I have a few stream sites I use and should be able to get games, looking forward to the season and talking hockey. When I used to drink I would trip everyone out as I grew up playing at a high level and know the game well, but no one knew I knew about the sport as I never talked about it. Then the playoffs would roll around and I would call out strategy, plays, and jump right in with the regs. Looking forward to talking hockey again.