• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022-2023 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

So this one showed up.

NHL Rumors: New York Rangers – UFAs, Chytil, Kakko, Georgiev, Trade and Free Agent Options

Looks like the Rangers are also in a cap crunch.  $10 million in cap space, and a lot of players to be re-signed.  Including Copp and Strome.  Copp would be a good get in FA'cy, although a bit old.  

But one name that stuck out.  Kakko.  Second overall, pretty pedestrian numbers, but only 21.  Could be a high risk reward type situation/change of scenery.  What if we took some of that dead cap from the Rangers, which ironically includes some of Shattenkirks salary, for Kakko?  Might be more involved, but at most I'd give is Steel or Larsson and maybe a late second.  

•  

I don't think Verbeek is going to take a small guy at 10. I think his other constraint is make up. So, I don't know where the other two come in there. 

You keep hearing Korchinski. A lot of talent, but seems very undeveloped. The common take on him seems to be he's a wild card. I have to think the make up part is going to be big here. 

Two more things that come into play with our pick. Who's going to fall and will they reach 10. Fowler fell; so did Zegras. The other is how will our second 1st round pick play into the first. Maybe they don't like the consensus top 15. Do they take who they want or risk getting him at 22. For example, McGroaty (sp?) - 10 may be too high; is 22 too low?

It's going to be an interesting day for Duck fans. Some good picks will give us a lot better idea of who Verbeek is.

41 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

I don't think Verbeek is going to take a small guy at 10. I think his other constraint is make up. So, I don't know where the other two come in there. 

You keep hearing Korchinski. A lot of talent, but seems very undeveloped. The common take on him seems to be he's a wild card. I have to think the make up part is going to be big here. 

Two more things that come into play with our pick. Who's going to fall and will they reach 10. Fowler fell; so did Zegras. The other is how will our second 1st round pick play into the first. Maybe they don't like the consensus top 15. Do they take who they want or risk getting him at 22.

It's going to be an interesting day for Duck fans. Some good picks will give us a lot better idea of who Verbeek is.

One of the rumors I heard was NJ trading #2 for Gibswim and the #10.  It's almost worth considering, as long as no money changes hands.  Although I'd rather give them 22 than 10 obviously.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

One of the rumors I heard was NJ trading #2 for Gibswim and the #10.  It's almost worth considering, as long as no money changes hands.  Although I'd rather give them 22 than 10 obviously.

Well, maybe if they have a good read on someone. But it doesn't sound like any of the top 6 are special enough to pay much to move up.

I would be a little surprised if Gibson is moved before the draft. It kind of looks like the max value will be after teams fight over the FA goalies and a couple teams end up with nothing. The oh sh!t moment should play to Verbeek's advantage.

Since we have to reach a minimum, we could get Gibson's contract down to 3-4M. We should be able to get a pretty good return for him. May be a better deal than a move up in the draft. I don't know. 

One things for sure, if Verbeek is smart, he will have a lot of good options.

4 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I've been following this one over the last couple years. Some solid talent all through. The Ducks got lucky that Edmonton decided to take Broberg at 8 instead of trade down and that Buffalo decided to go with Cozens over Z. I think if Dach had been available at 4 the Avs might have taken him so I'm glad Chicago took him instead of Turcotte. Now you guys will see the 47th pick in Helleson outplay every D chosen after Seider

Snapshots: Malkin, Sommer, Rheaume

Was wondering what happened with this.  

• The San Diego Gulls’ next head coach seems to have been found. The Athletic’s Eric Stephens reports that “multiple sources” have told him that the San Diego Gulls will hire Ray Sommer as their next head coach, on a one-year deal. The contract is not yet finalized but once it becomes official the Gulls will be adding the AHL’s all-time winningest head coach. Sommer was previously the coach of the San Jose Barracuda and has been an AHL head coach since the 1998-99 season when he led the Kentucky Thoroughblades to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

And the Ducks keep all their draft picks.  With their two second round picks being two giant RHD's.  Like Noah Warren is 17, 6'5", 225.  Weird that they didn't make any moves the last two days.  They have tons of cap space, just to get to the floor.  Makes me wonder if we are going big in FA'cy.  

To me it looks like they are positioning more towards the 2023 draft. No reason to get more picks in this draft when a better one is coming.

I still think as the goalie situation shakes out in the next couple weeks, we could see movement of Gibson ( If the Ducks are going to move him like we think they are.). I could see 2023 picks being part of the deal. I could also see them bringing in a couple bad contracts to get more 2023 picks. I have to believe 2023 is when Verbeek is looking to make his big draft score.

I don't see the Ducks doing anything meaningful in FA the next couple years. Just maybe pick up filler pieces at a good price - Bob stuff.

2022 Draft Results By Team

Anaheim Ducks

1-10 – D Pavel Mintyukov, Saginaw (OHL)
1-22 – F Nathan Gaucher, Quebec (QMJHL)
2-42 – D Noah Warren, Gatineau (QMJHL)
2-53 – D Tristan Luneau, Gatineau (QMJHL)
4-107 – F Benjamin King, Red Deer (WHL)
5-139 – F Connor Hvidston, Swift Current (WHL)
5-154 – F Michael Callow, St. Sebastian’s School (High School)
6-178 – G Vyacheslav Buteyets, Chelyabinsk (VHL)

@deepdrive  Beeker needs to get him back.  Throw him some extra bones for a year or two.

Post-Draft Notes: Wild Free Agents, Nemec, Vlasic

Two players Wild GM Bill Guerin won’t be giving extensions, as relayed by Michael Russo of The Athletic, are mid-season pickup Nicolas Deslauriers and Minneapolis native Nick Bjugstad.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

@deepdrive  Beeker needs to get him back.  Throw him some extra bones for a year or two.

Post-Draft Notes: Wild Free Agents, Nemec, Vlasic

Yeah, I don't know if there's room for him. But, we need at least one guy like him, maybe two.

What hurt's him is the willingness to do the staged fights. Hockey changed. He needs to move on and only do fights that matter. My take at least.

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

@deepdrive  Geezus.  The writing is on the wall from Beeker.  No more smurfs.  Every single one of our draft picks are over 6' + tall.  

You know, I think it's more balance than just big. We have two very good smaller defensemen. There's no room for anymore small on a championship team.

On offense, I think Gaucher is there for the toughness w/ skill. I also think Comtois and Jones aren't going anywhere until the Ducks give up on them AND they have their replacements ready to move into the lineup. There's a reason Carrick was resigned and Grant wasn't traded. We don't need to win, now. We just need to play to win and protect the younger guys.. A big part of the reason I wouldn't be surprised if Verbeek brought Manson back for 2-3 years at a reasonable price.

12 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Yeah, I don't know if there's room for him. But, we need at least one guy like him, maybe two.

What hurt's him is the willingness to do the staged fights. Hockey changed. He needs to move on and only do fights that matter. My take at least.

We have Carrick.  so that would be two.  Carrick had 11 fights last year, tied for 5th.  Deslauriers had 13, tied for second.  Remember that when Terry got manhandled, Carrick was in the box.  

6 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

You know, I think it's more balance than just big. We have two very good smaller defensemen. There's no room for anymore small on a championship team.

On offense, I think Gaucher is there for the toughness w/ skill. I also think Comtois and Jones aren't going anywhere until the Ducks give up on them AND they have their replacements ready to move into the lineup. There's a reason Carrick was resigned and Grant wasn't traded. We don't need to win, now. We just need to play to win and protect the younger guys.. A big part of the reason I wouldn't be surprised if Verbeek brought Manson back for 2-3 years at a reasonable price.

Manson is useless.  He won't do shit to protect the younger guys.  He had 3 fights last season.  More than likely he got into fights because of what he did to other teams players.  He's pretty much Nick Richie on Defense.  

I see Verbeek's emphasis from now until the trade deadline as:

1) Get the development program in place that he wants.

2) Get draft picks for 2023. Trade Gibson? Take on bad contracts? Move some of the prospects that aren't in his vision of the Ducks future.

3) Get one or two guys in trade, FA or bad contracts who can protect Zegras, Terry, etc.

The rebuild isn't over. It may not have even hit the low yet. We could still use a future HOF'er. Not to take away from our young stars. But, there's another level and we don't have anyone at it.