• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022-2023 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

A lot to speculate on and a lot of speculating. I don't really see the offensive lines playing out the way they have them.

Have to wait and see who's on the roster when the season starts. Verbeek probably isn't finished making moves.

There's no holes that I see now. So, if someone else is going to come in, someone has to leave.

2 hours ago, deepdrive said:

A lot to speculate on and a lot of speculating. I don't really see the offensive lines playing out the way they have them.

Have to wait and see who's on the roster when the season starts. Verbeek probably isn't finished making moves.

There's no holes that I see now. So, if someone else is going to come in, someone has to leave.

I have a feeling that Verbeek is done making FA moves, unless Kadri falls in his lap like Klingberg did.  The only other moves is to poach other teams for cap space, and that could help or hinder us.  As you said, someone has to leave if someone comes in.  I think McTavish kind of took that offensive spot for someone to come in at.  Which is a fantastic problem to have.  Defense might be a different story though.  But I don't think Verbeek would jettison a young player like Vakaaninen 23, Benoit 24, or Mahura 24 without it being a significant upgrade now that we've got Klingberg.  

Trade deadline is going to be interesting though.  We could be buyers and sellers, with Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Shaw, Stolarz all pending FA's.  And if Comtois, Benoit, and Mahura don't show signs of improvement, they could be dangled also.  

How to watch Canada vs. Switzerland: TV channel, live stream, start time for 2022 World Juniors quarterfinal game

Mason McTavish and his 13 points led the way, as the Canada captain ended group play with the most points and goals (seven) at the tournament so far. 

Behind McTavish is 2023 draft star Connor Bedard, who had seven points in the team's first four games. Ridly Greig, Joshua Roy, Brennan Othmann and Olen Zellweger all have six points entering the quarterfinals. 

Maybe Zellweger will fight his way onto the team.

5 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I have a feeling that Verbeek is done making FA moves, unless Kadri falls in his lap like Klingberg did.  The only other moves is to poach other teams for cap space, and that could help or hinder us.  As you said, someone has to leave if someone comes in.  I think McTavish kind of took that offensive spot for someone to come in at.  Which is a fantastic problem to have.  Defense might be a different story though.  But I don't think Verbeek would jettison a young player like Vakaaninen 23, Benoit 24, or Mahura 24 without it being a significant upgrade now that we've got Klingberg.  

Trade deadline is going to be interesting though.  We could be buyers and sellers, with Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Shaw, Stolarz all pending FA's.  And if Comtois, Benoit, and Mahura don't show signs of improvement, they could be dangled also.  

I don't see anymore FA's. Trades and taking on bad contracts for compensation, yeah maybe something there.

Of the guys you listed, I think Mahura may be just filling a spot at this point. 24 and he's never gone anywhere with this organization. His time may be up soon. Not so much a reflection on him. It's just not happening for him here.

Oh and who is Shaw? So many moves. Did I miss one?

@deepdrive  Lol Shaw.  I don't know why I keep calling Grant that.  

BTW.  Watched the second and third period of the WJ Canadian game.  They were raving and constantly talking about Beddard.  But when McTavish had the puck, it was his game.  He would go behind the net.  Crash the crease.  Work the line.  So many passes that should have been potted.  Then there was Zellweger.  for a small guy, the guy moves around a lot.  I think he's quicker on the line than Drysdale, and might even have a harder shot.  One thing I noticed is that when he gets the puck, he's never stationary.  He's moving somewhere.  And he's not afraid to shoot.  He had one pretty assist, where he called for the shot, got the puck, then shot passed it back from the guy he got it from for a goal.  

Yep, so far things are looking good for us going forward. There's still a lot to play out. But, you have to be happy at this point.

Just woo on that USA loss last night. They had two periods to come back and a big nothing. They maybe had a lot of talent. But, as a group, they were kind of a bust.

I think this cements that McTavish is a given for the Ducks this season.  And might even answer the who is the future C on the team.  But now the question is does Zellweger get a very hard serious look?  He looked phenomenal.  Really reminded me of a Makar type player.  Smaller, but so nimble and quick with a great stick.  

10 things learned at 2022 World Junior Championship

McTavish eyeing NHL chance

McTavish not only proved he was the best player of the 2022 World Juniors, he's also more than ready to possibly play a significant role for the Ducks this season.

"He's an NHL player," Canada coach Dave Cameron said. "I don't think anybody is surprised by what he brings to the ice, but what really impresses me is his attitude. He has no ego. He probably had every reason in the world not to come to this tournament just because of the timing of it and he was fully engaged in it and obviously his performance was outstanding."

McTavish continually created separation with his speed and big shot, scoring four goals in an 11-1 win against Slovakia on Aug. 12 to tie a Canada record for most in a WJC game with six others (Mario Lemieux, 1984; Simon Gagne, 1999; Brayden Schenn, 2011; Taylor Raddysh, 2017; Max Comtois, 2019; Connor Bedard, December of the 2022 tournament). He had two assists in the win against Finland in the final.

In addition, the 19-year-old might best be remembered for the goal-line save he made 1:06 before Kent Johnson (Columbus Blue Jackets) scored the winner 3:20 into overtime in the championship.

The legend of Zellweger

The Canada defenseman led all tournament players at his position with nine assists, 11 points, and plus-14 rating in seven games. He also had 16 shots on goal and averaged 20:31 in ice time.

Zellweger tied for third for the most points by a Canada defenseman in a single WJC, trailing Alex Pietrangelo (12 points in 2010) and Bryan McCabe (12 in 1995). 

The 18-year-old, chosen in the second round (No. 34) of the 2021 draft, had 78 points (14 goals, 64 assists) in 55 games for Everett of the Western Hockey League last season. 

"Something I picked up and learned a lot about in Everett [is shooting to sticks] and it's translating to my game," Zellweger said. "It's pretty effective when the forwards can get a piece of a shot." 

8 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I think this cements that McTavish is a given for the Ducks this season.  And might even answer the who is the future C on the team.  But now the question is does Zellweger get a very hard serious look?  He looked phenomenal.  Really reminded me of a Makar type player.  Smaller, but so nimble and quick with a great stick.  

10 things learned at 2022 World Junior Championship

I don't know why, but I thought the game was Sunday. Messed up and missed another one.

Sounds like the Ducks should be pretty happy with McTavish and Zellweger. Not much talk about the other Ducks who were there. I was hoping to hear more on Pastujov. I knew Goucher was raw and probably wouldn't have much impact. Clang, too. What about Moore. Any word on how he did?

1 hour ago, deepdrive said:

I don't know why, but I thought the game was Sunday. Messed up and missed another one.

Sounds like the Ducks should be pretty happy with McTavish and Zellweger. Not much talk about the other Ducks who were there. I was hoping to hear more on Pastujov. I knew Goucher was raw and probably wouldn't have much impact. Clang, too. What about Moore. Any word on how he did?

They were really only talking about McTavish and Zellwager.  Didn't hear much about the other Ducks.

16 hours ago, deepdrive said:

He does a review of almost every player that was drafted/will be drafted.

2022 IIHF World Junior Championship: Scott Wheeler’s tournament notebook