• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022-2023 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

• 2 weeks later...

OHL Final: McTavish, Bulldogs Strike in Game 5, Spitfires Face Elimination

The Bulldogs acquired McTavish from the Peterborough Petes at the deadline for several players and picks. After scoring 40 points in 24 regular-season games, the 19-year-old has added another 26 in 17 playoff games. After the game, Bulldogs’ head coach Jay McKee said he’s come as advertised.

“Mason’s a game-breaker,” he said. “He can do things out there that not a lot of guys can do. You see tonight, he goes out and scores two huge goals for us. That’s part of why he was brought in; he has that ability. He also has a motor that never stops…”

39 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If you put a goalie on the market before you find out how Keumper plays in the finals you might be limiting your market

Or could make a team overpay before the market forms.  

I'm thinking Verbeek knows what he wants.  If someone offers, might as well take it.  Especially before the draft.  

@deepdriveThoughts on Mason Marchment?  

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/25906/Mason_Marchment

SCOUTING REPORT

The son of former NHL defenseman Bryan Marchment is carving out his own role as an aggressive forward who is strong enough to make life miserable for opponents. At 6’4” he is more than willing to use his body at both ends of the ice. Needs to shoot more and flesh out his offensive game. Is willing to stand up for teammates.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/mason-marchment

https://gocheckers.com/articles/profiles/know-a-panthers-prospect-mason-marchment

WHAT DOES COACH GEORDIE KINNEAR SAY?

“He’s very hard to play against. He’s great in front of the net, has an elite shot and likes to play physical. I know he wants to push for an NHL job. He’s a guy that’s earned everything he’s gotten and will continue to do so. We’re excited to have him in our organization.”

Net Front Presence for Z.  Probably won't cost an arm and a leg like FA's Forsberg and Burakovsky.  Also would be on line protection for Z.  

My thoughts are I don't know anything about him. Well, I know a little know. 

The Ducks do need some size -especially on defense. I would think that regardless of the route Verbeek takes going forward, he's going to bring one or two big, older guys in this coming season. Heck, he could even bring Ritchie back for a couple seasons since wins don't matter ("Now Big Stupid, if you take a foul, go big and make it hurt.") Lol.

Ritchie could have his own statistic - Loses above replacement. But that would be okay if his presence kept opposing teams afraid to take cheap shots. 

@deepdrive 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/marchma01.html

Biggest problem is sample size.  At 26 YO, this was his biggest taste of the bigs.  54 games.  14:07 TOI.  

But 47 points, almost all of them coming on 5 on 5.  His Shot % was 14.9% which I would think is pretty sustainable.  114 hits.  +/- of a 29.  Corsi and Fenwick were an absurd 61.5 and 62.2.  Points per game 0.87 which is really good.  Zegras had a 0.81.  

Definitely a risk, but if he can sustain it.  Man, that would be a cheap wing on Z or Terry that can clog up in front of the net and actually score.  Something that Comtois was supposed to do and got allergic to last season.

8 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

It wouldn't be much of a risk - especially for the Ducks. Just a guy taking a roster spot. They have a ways to go to get to the minimum cap space.

I trash Bob a lot. But, give him his due, he left the team in good financial shape.

You know Bob would have signed Lindholm and Manson to absurd contracts not leaving us in good financial shape.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

You know Bob would have signed Lindholm and Manson to absurd contracts not leaving us in good financial shape.

Lol. Well, he certainly wouldn't have gotten anything for them if he didn't.

I don't know about Manson, though. I think Bob was off the bandwagon towards the end. Manson stopped slamming himself around as much after he signed the contract. I don't think Bob was very happy about that.

Winner winner chicken dinner.  Sums up Gibswim exactly.

Where will John Gibson tend goal in 2022-23?

MIKE MCKENNA: I don’t know where Gibson is going to end up, but if I’m Pat Verbeek, I’m moving him. Gibson has been a below-average goaltender in the NHL for several years and I haven’t seen any updates to his game from a technical standpoint. His contract is huge in both dollars and term. But Gibson has a reputation of being one of the top goaltenders in the NHL. GM’s still seem to love the guy and I’m sure Gibson would command a nice return on the trade market. The gripe has always been the team around him in Anaheim. But I challenge that. Gibson has very real shortcomings to his game. He plays too far from the net for my tastes and ends up chasing the game. He reaches for pucks rather than pushing. And he ends up on his backside way too often. Gibson is such a naturally gifted goaltender. But whatever team ends up with him better have supreme confidence in their goalie coach. Because in Anaheim, Gibson has either been unwilling to change, or unable to change. Now, all that said, Gibson could still backstop an NHL team to the playoffs. He’s that good of a pure puckstopper. But I don’t think his game has enough precision, and it’s hard to be consistent without a detailed approach. Buyer beware.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

If you've watched Manson in these playoffs you're seeing what he can be. As the right side guy on your 2nd or 3rd pair with a decent puck moving partner he's solid although the game as he's playing it means he's gonna get hurt fairly often

We had him with Fowler.  He was an absolute disaster.  No thanks.  If the Ducks sign him, then might as well sell the farm.  

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

If you've watched Manson in these playoffs you're seeing what he can be. As the right side guy on your 2nd or 3rd pair with a decent puck moving partner he's solid although the game as he's playing it means he's gonna get hurt fairly often

The problem is we've seen what he is more than what he can be. What you're seeing, he never has and won't be in Anaheim. The guy gets a multiyear contract and he becomes a career extender. 

Manson on a 2yr, 3M contract where he realizes he's 2nd/ 3rd pairing I'd take - if the attitude stayed like it's been in Colorado. Anaheim's not going to get that.

19 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

The problem is we've seen what he is more than what he can be. What you're seeing, he never has and won't be in Anaheim. The guy gets a multiyear contract and he becomes a career extender. 

Manson on a 2yr, 3M contract where he realizes he's 2nd/ 3rd pairing I'd take - if the attitude stayed like it's been in Colorado. Anaheim's not going to get that.

I don’t know. Maybe he comes back and flashes the Cup ring and he’s the guy who knows how to win. I don’t know what type of contract he’s looking for but from what I hear the family wants to go back to California 

I don't know. The article above makes it sound like it's the Ducks who want Manson. For the reasons I stated, I don't get that.

You're saying it's Manson who wants to come back. I get that. I don't think he wanted to leave. Verbeek never did anything to keep him. I don't see why he would have changed his mind.

The Manson style you're seeing in the playoffs is nothing new. He played that way before he signed his big contract. Now he's more experienced and is having a good playoff run. Bring him back to his typical self (which you've seen even in Colorado quite a bit) and he's nothing special. Like I said 3M a year for 2 yr and I'd say go. Anything more is a waste of money.

36 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

I don't know. The article above makes it sound like it's the Ducks who want Manson. For the reasons I stated, I don't get that.

You're saying it's Manson who wants to come back. I get that. I don't think he wanted to leave. Verbeek never did anything to keep him. I don't see why he would have changed his mind.

The Manson style you're seeing in the playoffs is nothing new. He played that way before he signed his big contract. Now he's more experienced and is having a good playoff run. Bring him back to his typical self (which you've seen even in Colorado quite a bit) and he's nothing special. Like I said 3M a year for 2 yr and I'd say go. Anything more is a waste of money.

I wouldn't even go multi year on him.  But he has no business on the Ducks.  He's 32, slow, gets skated around, falls down constantly when beat, takes stupid penalties.  He's pretty much a bottom pairing guy, and we've got plenty of those.  Shattenkirk and Sustr.  What we really need is a RD that can play well with Fowler.  Hopefully Helleson or Andersson can fill that role.  But I could see them looking for someone good.

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I wouldn't even go multi year on him.  But he has no business on the Ducks.  He's 32, slow, gets skated around, falls down constantly when beat, takes stupid penalties.  He's pretty much a bottom pairing guy, and we've got plenty of those.  Shattenkirk and Sustr.  What we really need is a RD that can play well with Fowler.  Hopefully Helleson or Andersson can fill that role.  But I could see them looking for someone good.

He has some attributes though. He knows the players on the team, has a good attitude, is well liked AND will stand up for guys.

We're not competing for anything the next 2-3 years. Shattenkirk is leaving (probably). We could easily take on his contract at a reasonable amount. He would be a good veteran presence. Give other guys time to develop.

This would not be a team future building move. It would be a team stabilizing move as the future team is assembled. 

I know this sounds contradictory to things I've said in the past. But it's not if you look at where the team is and the roll Manson would play. We don't need him to be a good d man - just fill a roll.

But hey, if we're talking 4-5M a year- no. There's other guys out there. We could pick up a bad contract and get a prospect or pick in that range.