• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Suarez optioned, Duffy placed on Covid IL, Rosenberg and Mayfield recalled

Guess this article from after the game yesterday was b.s.?

https://www.mlb.com/angels/news/jose-suarez-angels-lose-to-white-sox

"Angels manager Joe Maddon, though, said he believes Suarez is headed in the right direction and isn’t ready to make a change in the rotation yet. The Angels do have some options, including long reliever Jaime Barria, who threw three scoreless innings after the rain delay in the top of the sixth to lower his ERA to 2.31, and lefty Jhonathan Diaz, who is pitching well at Triple-A Salt Lake. But Maddon said they’re not ready to entertain any changes this early in the year.

"A little bit better overall,” Maddon said. “I thought he took a step forward today. There are some things he needs to do better. We have a lot of confidence in the kid. I think he's going to be a very good Major League pitcher and a big part of our success this year. Sometimes you have to stay with people, especially if you believe in them."

33 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

"Angels manager Joe Maddon, though, said he believes Suarez is headed in the right direction and isn’t ready to make a change in the rotation yet. The Angels do have some options, including long reliever Jaime Barria, who threw three scoreless innings after the rain delay in the top of the sixth to lower his ERA to 2.31, and lefty Jhonathan Diaz, who is pitching well at Triple-A Salt Lake. But Maddon said they’re not ready to entertain any changes this early in the year.

"A little bit better overall,” Maddon said. “I thought he took a step forward today. There are some things he needs to do better. We have a lot of confidence in the kid. I think he's going to be a very good Major League pitcher and a big part of our success this year. Sometimes you have to stay with people, especially if you believe in them."

Every time there's an article like this the opposite happens the next day.

36 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yet another example of Maddon’s words not matching up with the team’s actions. This makes me believe Minasian is calling the shots.

• mmc changed the title to Suarez optioned, Duffy placed on Covid IL, Rosenberg and Mayfield recalled
1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Perry saw it differently.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Do they not need a sixth starter for a while? Or do they just not like the way he's pitching right now?

They are in game 10 of 20 games without a day off. So I’m guessing it’s performance related.  That being said with having to drop 2 players off the roster this kind of helps with that.  

Next Friday night, the 6th, it will be Suarez’s turn in the rotation. They’re home vs. Washington. They do have a day off on the 12th when his turn would come up again, but have a double header that Saturday the 14th. So I’d imagine Barria or Rosenberg gets the start both on the 6th and then the 13th…or 14th in one of the DH games. They could do a BP game again but I doubt they’d do it before a DH or as one of the DH games in Oakland. They’ll need a 6th starter again on the 17th but could conceivably skip it the next turn as they have two days off surrounding a home series against Oakland. But they’ll need it again the following series.

Suarez would be eligible for that start on the 17th to come back up and I believe Canning is also eligible to come off the 60-Day DL then if he’s ready. He was placed on it on the 16th of March.

Jhonathan Diaz also may come up next week to make a start, on the 6th or before. He’s got a 1.96 ERA for the Bees, and was nearly unhittable in his last start going 8 IP with 1 hit, 0 BB, 7 K.

He’s on the 40-man having made 2 starts last year for the Angels. This is probably the most likely course of action now that I think about it. Also, Syndergaard may bump everyone back if they move him up to tomorrow or Tuesday. His next start would be Thursday normally. 

Diaz would normally take his turn on Wednesday or Thursday for SLC. If he doesn’t make that start, or start for us one of those days, then he’s coming up for Friday next week.

45 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Regarding Canning, isn’t the 60 day list similar to the 10 day list, where only up to a few days before the season can count against it?

Possibly. I’m not 100% on that. 

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Possibly. I’m not 100% on that. 

Yeah looked it up and so Canning won’t be available until the 61st day of the regular season, or June 7th.

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd rather see Janson Junk in the rotation, although maybe this is just Rosenberg joining the pen, or as an opener.

Probably not Junk based on the above.  Would not be surprised to see Diaz called up to make a spot start.  With Syndergaard pitching Tuesday, Ohtani (if healthy) Wednesday, Detmers Thursday, could see Diaz pitch on Friday.  This way, they can carry an extra reliever until it's Diaz's turn to start.