• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB suspends Trevor Bauer for TWO seasons

mmc

Obviously this seems ridiculous at first glance. And I hope Bauer's lawyers get to eat MLB ass-first. I do have a few clarifying questions for the AW Labor Law Pro's though. Looking at you @cals

1. Does MLB need a definitive, legally sound reason to suspend Bauer? Like are they doing this because they can interpret their code of conduct policies however they choose and basically suspend anybody they think has done something "bad" without having to legally defend that decision? Another hypothetical example being like a current player going on an expletive-laden rant about their ex-wife or something in a Youtube video. Not technically illegal or punishable, but could MLB be like, "Nah, we're suspending this asshole"?

2. If a judge (or some similar entity) determined that Bauer was suspended not because he did anything wrong from a criminal perspective, but simply because the league found his sexual tastes to be unpalatable to their brand, could one make an argument that he was being discriminated against on the basis of sex? Like in the protected class sexual orientation sort of way. Like could being a kinky dude be part of one's orientation, and thus not discriminate-against-able?

Justice has been served. Sorry you feel bad for Bauer. Times have changed and they certainly have for Bauer. He will never pitch again in MLB. Know who you are hitting so they do not run to police. Costly mistake for Bauer. You or I do not know what MLB has in this case, even when times have changed you know that. 

4 minutes ago, Don said:

Obviously this seems ridiculous at first glance. And I hope Bauer's lawyers get to eat MLB ass-first. I do have a few clarifying questions for the AW Labor Law Pro's though. Looking at you @cals

1. Does MLB need a definitive, legally sound reason to suspend Bauer? Like are they doing this because they can interpret their code of conduct policies however they choose and basically suspend anybody they think has done something "bad" without having to legally defend that decision? Another hypothetical example being like a current player going on an expletive-laden rant about their ex-wife or something in a Youtube video. Not technically illegal or punishable, but could MLB be like, "Nah, we're suspending this asshole"?

2. If a judge (or some similar entity) determined that Bauer was suspended not because he did anything wrong from a criminal perspective, but simply because the league found his sexual tastes to be unpalatable to their brand, could one make an argument that he was being discriminated against on the basis of sex? Like in the protected class sexual orientation sort of way. Like could be being a kinky dude be part of one's orientation, and thus not discriminate-against-able?

CBA language wins.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

CBA language wins.

I'm guessing there has to be some sort of interpretation applied to it though. And that has to have some sort of limit to it. I highly doubt this very specific scenario is outlined in the CBA.

28 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

They suddenly have $40m in extra payroll to spend. A nice budget for a franchise that likes to trade for fantastic prospects/players packaged with millstone bad contracts from the low payroll teams. 

yup

Watch them trade $hit to the Reds for Castillo, Moose, Votto, Mahle and some good prospects 

5 minutes ago, Don said:

I'm guessing there has to be some sort of interpretation applied to it though. And that has to have some sort of limit to it. I highly doubt this very specific scenario is outlined in the CBA.

You're right, it likely isn't, which is why this will be pretty interesting.

39 minutes ago, cals said:

Understand this: Unless MLB has information we don't have, which it may, then it has suspended Bauer for engaging in legal, consensual sexual behavior.

This is exactly what they have. They have video or something which shows the rough sex, and they don't want it coming out. Or they have multiple complaints and victims who've come forward. Just cuz they don't have enough to prosecute him in LA or are letting him off doesn't mean that they don't have something we've not seen. In fact, a 2 year suspension without credit, means they do. Ozuna just got 20 games and I can't imagine they would go 324 without something more than Bauer's asshole attitude.

5 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

Which was witnessed by two police officers. I thought at the time he would never play another game in MLB, and he's already treated like nothing ever happened.

It's all about personalities. Ozuna showed the ability to say the right things, take the classes, and shut the F up.

Bauer doesn't seem like a guy who would do the dance. 

Essentially Puig was ousted for similar reasons. 

1 minute ago, cals said:

It’s possible they do.  I imagine we will find out.  Personally I doubt it, but we will see.

If after 9-10 months of investigating, they level an incredibly harsh and unprecedented penalty, they have something. 

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

It's all about personalities. Ozuna showed the ability to say the right things, take the classes, and shut the F up.

Bauer doesn't seem like a guy who would do the dance. 

Essentially Puig was ousted for similar reasons. 

Ozuna only did the classes because they were court-ordered. He was arrested and charged - two things that never happened to Bauer.