• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What are you listening to?

Glen

1 hour ago, nate said:

I changed jobs end of May that was a lot less programming and a lot more time in conference calls so I probably listened to half as much music the second half of the year than I did in the first half.

are you done with the insurance game?

4 hours ago, Jason said:

🤔🤔

Reminds me of this HOF post from the late Jobu.

On 5/5/2017 at 12:21 PM, Jobu said:

Imagine if you will, you're a young Canadian boy of 12 with a sweet ass mullet. You're lead chair on accordion at the primary school out in Rubberknuckle Alberta. There's no radio or live music but one day someone sends you a poorly dubbed cassette containing only the songs Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters from Metallica's Black Album. You never hear another song for 15 years ago.

You would the grow up and create Nickelback.

Oh, I forgot. You are also hit on the head frequently and drink lighter fluid.

My 2020 Wrap Up is not remotely correct.....the playlist even has songs I haven't even played or listened to in a long time let alone this year. It's like they took some of my favorites artists/bands and picked some of their songs or just rolled over from years past. My top song of the year wasn't even one I listen to, I just remember some stripper playing it on repeat one night. Here it is for your laughter:

I kind of get it though because I started working out of my home towards the end of last year and haven't been playing Spotify at all while my YouTube viewing has gone up exponentially.....podcasts, sports highlights/recaps/news, how to's, etc. I have been getting the urge to play again and still have all my pro bass gear and have been messing around again. At the same time, I got into bass because my parents wouldn't let me get a drum kit. So I am probably 65/35 going to jump into drums and most of my music has been viewing musician videos as I jump back in. I've also been hitting it hard again with metal/hardcore/post-hardcore like the old days. These two have been pretty consistent videos recently: 

The double kick and way he uses the reverse china:

This one I just like the song, but then started figuring out the bass line and really like it for a catchy metal song:

Edited by Brandon

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

My 2020 Wrap Up is not remotely correct.....the playlist even has songs I haven't even played or listened to in a long time let alone this year. It's like they took some of my favorites artists/bands and picked some of their songs or just rolled over from years past. My top song of the year wasn't even one I listen to, I just remember some stripper playing it on repeat one night. Here it is for your laughter:

I kind of get it though because I started working out of my home towards the end of last year and haven't been playing Spotify at all while my YouTube viewing has gone up exponentially.....podcasts, sports highlights/recaps/news, how to's, etc. I have been getting the urge to play again and still have all my pro bass gear and have been messing around again. At the same time, I got into bass because my parents wouldn't let me get a drum kit. So I am probably 65/35 going to jump into drums and most of my music has been viewing musician videos as I jump back in. I've also been hitting it hard again with metal/hardcore/post-hardcore like the old days. These two have been pretty consistent videos recently: 

This one I just like the song, but then started figuring out the bass line and really like it for a catchy metal song:

August Burns Red is a very underrated band 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Apparently he recorded the track for the song in one take 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

August Burns Red is a very underrated band 

Rad. I don't come across anyone that really knows about them other than metalheads. I've been a big fan since the beginning because I think someone in the band is a cousin from one of the dudes in Underoath. Checked them out and have been a fan since....plus, they keep making killer albums all these years.

They check all the boxes for me and I think the world of Matt as a drummer. He makes it look so easy for as technical as he plays. Reminds me of the metal version of Danny Carey, who also makes it look easy.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Apparently he recorded the track for the song in one take 

He rips. I got a little more into them as time went on. It's also really hard to record consistently. I was watching a doc YouTube of Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters that was a really cool 30 minute interview. He talks about recording and how he got in the band because he could record and hit the kit in the same spots for a consistent sound during the recording process. So really hard to do, no less one take.

Also reminds me of when he passed over 10 years ago. Someone posted a thread here and through the discussion of him, the band, the music, etc. I said I wasn't into them and some millennials got upset and thought I was being disrespectful to his death because I wasn't into the band haha. 

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Also reminds me of when he passed over 10 years ago. Someone posted a thread here and through the discussion of him, the band, the music, etc. I said I wasn't into them and some millennials got upset and thought I was being disrespectful to his death because I wasn't into the band haha. 

Actually you were being disrespectful about his death making jokes.  Baseball mom took issue with it as she knew his family and I went to school with him and the rest of the band and didn't think it was necessary to dump on him after he died.  The criticism of your comments had zero to do with you not being into the band.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Brand New is one of my favorite bands. Haven't heard Dredg in a long time, what a blast from the past.

It was fun to see the old mainstays sneak onto the top list with the groups who put out new music. I think Brand New has been on regular rotation since they put out their last album in 2017, which was fantastic.

31 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Actually you were being disrespectful about his death making jokes.  Baseball mom took issue with it as she knew his family and I went to school with him and the rest of the band and didn't think it was necessary to dump on him after he died.  The criticism of your comments had zero to do with you not being into the band.

I don't remember any of that at all. I'd love to see the thread again if it's here. I remember people talking about his OD, but I didn't know him or the band to care or have any kind of stance. I just said I wasn't into the band and someone said this wasn't the time to talk about that or something like that. I don't know them well enough to even have a good joke in that situation. I think I did make fun of people that seemed to hold his death above others from an OD no less, not counting those that knew him personally as that's different and I knew they were local. I remember someone, maybe 2-3, that didn't like that I wasn't into the band. Someone else jumped in and said something along the lines of just because I didn't like the music didn't mean I was shitting on his death.

I'll see if I can find it as I'm pretty solid with recollections from this site over all the years with a solid track record when someone does a nostalgic thread. It was over 10 years ago, so I don't know if it made it through one of the Chuck updates/overhauls.

26 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't remember any of that at all. I'd love to see the thread again if it's here. I remember people talking about his OD, but I didn't know him or the band to care or have any kind of stance. I just said I wasn't into the band and someone said this wasn't the time to talk about that or something like that. I don't know them well enough to even have a good joke in that situation. I think I did make fun of people that seemed to hold his death above others from an OD no less, not counting those that knew him personally as that's different and I knew they were local. I remember someone, maybe 2-3, that didn't like that I wasn't into the band. Someone else jumped in and said something along the lines of just because I didn't like the music didn't mean I was shitting on his death.

I'll see if I can find it as I'm pretty solid with recollections from this site over all the years with a solid track record when someone does a nostalgic thread. It was over 10 years ago, so I don't know if it made it through one of the Chuck updates/overhauls.

Personally, I always believed his death was suicide. Listen to the song Fiction, it reads like a suicide note. It was the last song he completed for them 

42 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It was fun to see the old mainstays sneak onto the top list with the groups who put out new music. I think Brand New has been on regular rotation since they put out their last album in 2017, which was fantastic.

Wild. I had no idea they even released an album and is another reminder of how streaming and new ways of listening to music has me so out of the loop with music and bands. I'll check it out. I looked it up and is very highly rated.

Sic Transit Gloria is still one of my favorite bass lines to play and an all-timer. Cool video too back when those were a thing.

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Personally, I always believed his death was suicide. Listen to the song Fiction, it reads like a suicide note. It was the last song he completed for them 

I looked him up after you posted the video. This is definitely a suicide cocktail. Also, you may be onto something as a band member said this below. Both from his Wiki.

On December 28, 2009, The Rev was found unresponsive in his Huntington Beach home, and was later pronounced dead upon arrival to the hospital.[9] Police ruled out foul play and noted that his death appeared to be from natural causes. An autopsy performed on December 30, 2009, was inconclusive, but toxicology results revealed to the public in June that he died from an overdose of oxycodone (Percocet), oxymorphone (a metabolite of oxycodone), diazepam (Valium), nordiazepam (a metabolite of diazepam), and alcohol.[10] The coroner noted an enlarged heart as a "significant condition" that may have played a role in Sullivan's death.

"The eeriest thing about it is there is a song on the album called 'Fiction' [a nickname The Rev gave himself] which started out with the title 'Death.' And it was the last song The Rev wrote for the album, and when he handed it in, he said, 'That's it, that's the last song for this record.' And then, three days later, he died."[12]

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Wild. I had no idea they even released an album and is another reminder of how streaming and new ways of listening to music has me so out of the loop with music and bands. I'll check it out. I looked it up and is very highly rated.

Sic Transit Gloria is still one of my favorite bass lines to play and an all-timer. Cool video too back when those were a thing.

Yeah that's from back when I got into them... I remember Jude Law and a Semester Abroad but I was hooked when I saw the video for The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows, which I think is the single before Sic Transit... great album but I think The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me and their new album Science Fiction are their best work. Science Fiction is a much more mature record, it's come a long way from the pop punk days - far less dynamic but so much more depth.

16 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Yeah that's from back when I got into them... I remember Jude Law and a Semester Abroad but I was hooked when I saw the video for The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows, which I think is the single before Sic Transit... great album but I think The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me and their new album Science Fiction are their best work. Science Fiction is a much more mature record, it's come a long way from the pop punk days - far less dynamic but so much more depth.

Same.

Might as well come out of the closet again. I was into Dashboard Confessional back then and Chris Carraba was a guest host on MTV and picked a bunch of videos for whatever show he was guest hosting. One of the videos was Quiet Things and I liked it. Picked up the album and was hooked. Agreed on Devil and God, really profound album (especially for the time) and still holds up. They kind of lost me with Daisy. Looking forward to checking out their last album. Funny thing about Jude Law is they are one of a handful of bands I like that changed their overall sound and I still really liked and went along. The difference between Jude Law to Deja was pretty dramatic.

Good live band too. Only saw them once with Thrice and others at some music festival at Cal Poly in the mid 00's.

Haha. I can't find the thread, but if you type in Avenged Sevenfold in the search one of the things that pops up is this which derived from that death thread. Funny thing is it was many years later, but ITP also has a good memory in the nostalgic threads.

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 4.28.06 PM.png

Wait! Found some more from 2013:

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 4.47.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 4.48.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 4.49.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 4.50.09 PM.png

Edited by Brandon

20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Same.

Might as well come out of the closet again. I was into Dashboard Confessional back then and Chris Carraba was a guest host on MTV and picked a bunch of videos for whatever show he was guest hosting. One of the videos was Quiet Things and I liked it. Picked up the album and was hooked. Agreed on Devil and God, really profound album (especially for the time) and still holds up. They kind of lost me with Daisy. Looking forward to checking out their last album. Funny thing about Jude Law is they are one of a handful of bands I like that changed their overall sound and I still really liked and went along. The difference between Jude Law to Deja was pretty dramatic.

Good live band too. Only saw them once with Thrice and others at some music festival at Cal Poly in the mid 00's.

Yeah I thought Daisy was weak, though I put some of that on them starting over after the demos were leaked... a couple of my favorite tracks were in the leaked demos. 

I've seen them live twice, once with Manchester Orchestra in like '09 and also at the forum about 4 years back with Modest Mouse, who really aren't my jam, lol.

19 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Yeah I thought Daisy was weak, though I put some of that on them starting over after the demos were leaked... a couple of my favorite tracks were in the leaked demos. 

I've seen them live twice, once with Manchester Orchestra in like '09 and also at the forum about 4 years back with Modest Mouse, who really aren't my jam, lol.

I kind of remember that.

When I looked up that Brand New album I came across a show in the UK that had three of my all-time favorite bands....Brand New, Thrice, and Glassjaw. That would have been a doozy.