• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What are you listening to?

Glen

I got a quiz on this other site.  Asked which album turning 30 this year was the most iconic.  Damn, talk about a good year for music.

The following albums are turning 30 this year. In your opinion, which is the most iconic of them all?

• U2 - The Joshua Tree
  • Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
  • Prince - Sign O' The Times
  • Michael Jackson - Bad
  • R.E.M. - Document
  • Whitney Houston - Whitney
  • Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush the Show
  • George Michael - Faith
  • Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
  • The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me

Document was a great album in its own right, but what it did for the band's career is what makes it so important. It was their last record with IRS and it shot them from college rock to mainstream and paved the way for them to sign with Warner which lead to Green which lead to Out of Time.

Also, as politically charged as Green was,  Document is pretty relevant in 2017. 

New Depeche Mode song.  OK, but nothing special.  When a "legacy" band like DM releases something new, it has to compete with everything they've done before and with that in mind, this song is mediocre at best.  It's also tough when you've had such a long career to produce something that's new and exciting.

https://youtu.be/UpuaPfOuxB0

On 1/31/2017 at 9:00 PM, Sully151 said:

Document was a great album in its own right, but what it did for the band's career is what makes it so important. It was their last record with IRS and it shot them from college rock to mainstream and paved the way for them to sign with Warner which lead to Green which lead to Out of Time.

Man, what a great run R.E.M. had between Murmur, Life's Rich Pagent, Document, Eponymous, Green, Out Of Time, and Automatic For The People.  They had some good music on other albums as well, but those have always been my "go-to" albums from them.  Greatly unappreciated band.

2 hours ago, cezero said:

been on an 80s kick while doing some work today

i had almost forgotten how amazing paul carrack's voice is. mike rutherford wrote a lot of great songs with genesis, and i think he was maybe a little underrated with mike and the mechanics. 

terrific song, and they were a good band. i wish they would have lasted a lot longer than they did.

On 2/3/2017 at 2:55 PM, Tank said:

two very, very good songs.

can trump sign an EO to bring mike + the mechanics back? we need some quality music these days.

Sorry Tank,  they would require visas to perform in the US and they are from a country with a large Muslim community. England. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, Jay said:

Hold down the window;
Hold out the morning that comes into view.
Warm side, the tower;
Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru.

Gold stainless nail
Torn through the distance of man
As they regard the summit

If anyone decides to have a get together when I depart this world, Siberian Khatru and South Side of the Sky need to be played... LOUD.

On 2/3/2017 at 4:05 PM, Sully151 said:

There is tons of good music. Just have to hunt for it.

Yeah...seriously...the amount of good music available today is amazing. Not just streaming services, but live performances are available on the web...quality stuff too, not somebody holding up a cellphone in the backrow.

Public stations like NPR tiny desk concerts, kcrw, kexp, and a host of others archive their shows on the web. Bandcamp and independent releases. So much good stuff out there right now.

Not good! Tom Petty 40th Anniversary tour stops at Pru Center in Newark on June 16th. Can't make it because my daughter's middle school graduation.  He also announced 2 nights at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, but I will be away on vacation that week.

Choices are July 1st in Philthadelphia or June 14th in Hartford. I am about 2 hours from both.

• 2 weeks later...