• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who has the best 2022 season among these Angels starters?

BTH

Who has the best 2022 season among these Angels starters?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best 2022 season among these Angels starters?

• Jaime Barria
    • Griffin Canning
    • Reid Detmers
    • Janson Junk
    • Packy Naughton

Unless they add someone else, one of these starters figures to start in the six-man rotation. Regardless, they all likely get opportunities throughout the 2022 season. Who do you think will have the best season? 

- Jaime Barria

- Grififn Canning

- Reid Detmers

- Janson Junk

- Packy Naughton

23 hours ago, Trendon said:

Unless they add someone else, one of these starters figures to start in the six-man rotation. Regardless, they all likely get opportunities throughout the 2022 season. Who do you think will have the best season? 

- Jaime Barria

- Grififn Canning

- Reid Detmers

- Janson Junk

- Packy Naughton

I am so surprised Canning has more votes than Barria. I have no faith in Canning. 

Barria.  He’s like a utility knife in that he can easily be switched between long reliever, sport starter, or added to the rotation.  A staff needs someone like him who has experience and shown flashes in all three of those situations. 

I would like to see Dietmers get some more experience but I’m leery about how pitching in SLC, helps him work on curveball location.  

On 1/23/2022 at 3:33 AM, Torridd said:

I am so surprised Canning has more votes than Barria. I have no faith in Canning. 

Have faith, he's still so young. I always favor pitchers with solid Swinging Strike %. No guarantee obviously, but he has a higher ceiling compared to Barria. I'm more surprised people on the board feel like Detmers is gonna have a breakout year next year. His best pitch is a slow loopy curve ball... Looks good, but Rotographs shows that slow loopy curves get crushed in the majors.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:01 AM, AngelStew43 said:

Detmers.  I think we should explore turning Canning into a late inning reliever. 

No thanks. Canning, even when healthy had trouble with  allowing the HR. 
  He needs to work on his command. He needs to work ahead in the count to be successful which has been a problem in the past. I will always support a fellow Bruin so I wish him the best. 

When is Canning allowing his HR’s?  First time through?  Or is it later in the game, as his pitch count grows?  I’ve seen a few of his starts, he is generally good the first 45-60 pitches, then it goes south, usually quickly.  His fastball is a plus pitch, leading me to think that he may make a good short man.

I have not given up on Canning but his current pace of development doesn’t seem to match up very well with the team’s urgency to win now.

If he isn’t effective right away, I am fine if they just throw him in AAA until he is absolutely ridiculously dominating there.

On 1/30/2022 at 9:56 AM, Dtwncbad said:

I have not given up on Canning but his current pace of development doesn’t seem to match up very well with the team’s urgency to win now.

If he isn’t effective right away, I am fine if they just throw him in AAA until he is absolutely ridiculously dominating there.

I wouldn't mind seeing him start in AAA to get his head right.   Control his innings and his pitch selection.  Let him work things out down there for awhile.  He not exactly old for that to happen.  He's still got options so it's not that big of a deal.  Then call him up around mid year.  Not that they should manipulate it, but it could work out where you even get an extra year of control from him if he ends up on the big club for less than 97 days.   (I just made myself angry again about the team calling up Adell in 2020.  I can't help it.  I think of it whenever I look up service time on anyone)