• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bobby Abreu HOFer?

Stradling

Bill James wrote a book about what the voters were most likely to use as criteria.  Not necessarily what he felt should be the criteria.   The black/gray ink think is an absurd indicator of being HOF worthy.  

One of the main ways to accumulate points on this scale is to lead the league in RBI

12 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Bill James wrote a book about what the voters were most likely to use as criteria.  Not necessarily what he felt should be the criteria.   The black/gray ink think is an absurd indicator of being HOF worthy.  

One of the main ways to accumulate points on this scale is to lead the league in RBI

I agree to a certain extent. And he says at the very top this is a predictor of whether or not they will be elected not who is better. The one thing I like is the dependence on being the best in the league not just being above average over a period of time.

For example, Abreu was a league leader only twice in his career. Once for doubles and once for triples. That doesn't seem Hall of Fame worthy to me. 

12 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

For example, Abreu was a league leader only twice in his career. Once for doubles and once for triples. That doesn't seem Hall of Fame worthy to me.

twice in two arbitrary categories that don't have a super high correlation to value like the rest of the categories that are arbitrary and somewhat redundant.  For example.  You get 4 points for leading the league in BA and another 3 points for leading the league in hits.  

Abreu was consistently top ten in several categories that correlate to value while he was playing.   They just chose a bunch of categories that didn't necessarily.  Which is essentially why analytics became a thing.  

I agree with the notion that in general, both Abreu and Gwynn were of similar value to their respective teams overall.  

From a pure baseball standpoint, I think what gwynn did was more impressive.  He walked more than he k'd every year of his career except his partial first year where the delta was -2.  

I do think there is some value in being the best at something positive several times over the course of your career.  

24 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

twice in two arbitrary categories that don't have a super high correlation to value like the rest of the categories that are arbitrary and somewhat redundant.  For example.  You get 4 points for leading the league in BA and another 3 points for leading the league in hits.  

Abreu was consistently top ten in several categories that correlate to value while he was playing.   They just chose a bunch of categories that didn't necessarily.  Which is essentially why analytics became a thing.  

I agree with the notion that in general, both Abreu and Gwynn were of similar value to their respective teams overall.  

From a pure baseball standpoint, I think what gwynn did was more impressive.  He walked more than he k'd every year of his career except his partial first year where the delta was -2.  

I do think there is some value in being the best at something positive several times over the course of your career.  

Agreed regarding the system James created here. Moving off the Abreu vs. Gwynn comparison which wasn't the original purpose of the thread, do you think Abreu should be in the hall of fame? 

I saw an interview on MLB Now this week with a writer who is newly appointed to vote for the HOF - you need to be in the BBWAA for 10 years I believe. There seems to be a trend of inclusion with the younger writers. It will be interesting to see what that looks like.

For me, Bobby Abreu is not a Hall of Famer.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Abreu should still be in the hall of fame. If Gwynn is a first ballot then Abreu should be voted in. 

Gwynn being in the HOF is irrelevant to this discussion, IMO. Keith Hernandez has a career OBP of .384. He's not in the HOF. Tim Salmon has a career OBP of .385...

If you think Abreu should be in the HOF, great. I don't care enough to argue the point, but using Gwynn's OBP is silly, IMO

24 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Gwynn being in the HOF is irrelevant to this discussion, IMO. Keith Hernandez has a career OBP of .384. He's not in the HOF. Tim Salmon has a career OBP of .385...

If you think Abreu should be in the HOF, great. I don't care enough to argue the point, but using Gwynn's OBP is silly, IMO

I was using offensive production of a first ballot HOFer who received 97% of the votes and showing how Abreu was comparable and in most cases better to make a case for Abreu. 

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I was using offensive production of a first ballot HOFer who received 97% of the votes and showing how Abreu was comparable and in most cases better to make a case for Abreu. 

Ok