Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

IGNORED

Bobby Abreu HOFer?


Stradling

Recommended Posts

Bill James wrote a book about what the voters were most likely to use as criteria.  Not necessarily what he felt should be the criteria.   The black/gray ink think is an absurd indicator of being HOF worthy.  

One of the main ways to accumulate points on this scale is to lead the league in RBI

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Bill James wrote a book about what the voters were most likely to use as criteria.  Not necessarily what he felt should be the criteria.   The black/gray ink think is an absurd indicator of being HOF worthy.  

One of the main ways to accumulate points on this scale is to lead the league in RBI

I agree to a certain extent. And he says at the very top this is a predictor of whether or not they will be elected not who is better. The one thing I like is the dependence on being the best in the league not just being above average over a period of time.

For example, Abreu was a league leader only twice in his career. Once for doubles and once for triples. That doesn't seem Hall of Fame worthy to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

For example, Abreu was a league leader only twice in his career. Once for doubles and once for triples. That doesn't seem Hall of Fame worthy to me.

twice in two arbitrary categories that don't have a super high correlation to value like the rest of the categories that are arbitrary and somewhat redundant.  For example.  You get 4 points for leading the league in BA and another 3 points for leading the league in hits.  

Abreu was consistently top ten in several categories that correlate to value while he was playing.   They just chose a bunch of categories that didn't necessarily.  Which is essentially why analytics became a thing.  

I agree with the notion that in general, both Abreu and Gwynn were of similar value to their respective teams overall.  

From a pure baseball standpoint, I think what gwynn did was more impressive.  He walked more than he k'd every year of his career except his partial first year where the delta was -2.  

I do think there is some value in being the best at something positive several times over the course of your career.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

twice in two arbitrary categories that don't have a super high correlation to value like the rest of the categories that are arbitrary and somewhat redundant.  For example.  You get 4 points for leading the league in BA and another 3 points for leading the league in hits.  

Abreu was consistently top ten in several categories that correlate to value while he was playing.   They just chose a bunch of categories that didn't necessarily.  Which is essentially why analytics became a thing.  

I agree with the notion that in general, both Abreu and Gwynn were of similar value to their respective teams overall.  

From a pure baseball standpoint, I think what gwynn did was more impressive.  He walked more than he k'd every year of his career except his partial first year where the delta was -2.  

I do think there is some value in being the best at something positive several times over the course of your career.  

Agreed regarding the system James created here. Moving off the Abreu vs. Gwynn comparison which wasn't the original purpose of the thread, do you think Abreu should be in the hall of fame? 

I saw an interview on MLB Now this week with a writer who is newly appointed to vote for the HOF - you need to be in the BBWAA for 10 years I believe. There seems to be a trend of inclusion with the younger writers. It will be interesting to see what that looks like.

For me, Bobby Abreu is not a Hall of Famer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...