• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you still be an Angels fan if the team relocated?

mmc

Would you still be an Angels fan if the team relocated?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still be an Angels fan if the team relocated?

• The Angels would still be my favorite team
    • I'd still be a fan, but they'd take a back seat to/be on par with a different team
    • No, I would follow a different team
    • I wouldn't really be into baseball anymore at all

That depends on how/why they left, where they went, and what if anything filled the void.\
I was a Rams season ticket holder, when they left like they did, ive never rooted for them again.  At this point i no longer even watch the NFL. 
If they moved with reason, such as CAs bullshit going on now, id probably remain a fan.  If they went across the country to like Tennessee that interest would probably wane a bit due to lack of being able to attend anything, but if closer such as Vegas that i could still go to a few games it probably wouldnt change.
But if someone else came in and filled that void i would try to support them as well.
Im a fan of the game as well as the team.  The Angels are and have been my fav team since the late 70s, but not the only team ill watch play the game. 

9 hours ago, disarcina said:

Anaheim residents should be really upset with Sacramento over all this.

Everyone should be really upset with Sacramento over everything.

I am surprised they are not requiring the plans for a new ballpark to include a quick cultural appropriations sensitivity training before you order a burrito or slice of pizza and a designated needle exchange area.

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Hate to admit this, but for the past several years Ive been a bigger angelswin fan than angels fan.... by a pretty decent margin

While I don’t really agree with this, I have always said that there are times where this place feels like the Jim Rome Jungle, where people were bigger fans of “the Jungle” than the sports they were talking about.  This place for me keeps me even more of a fan of the team.

I can’t really see a scenario where I wouldn’t still follow the team.  It is by far my favorite sports franchise and I guess the next closest is the Lakers and then Rams. But if I consume 100 portions of sport, then 98 would be Angels, 1 would be Rams and 1 would be Lakers.  If I haven’t become less engaged in the team with its recent play, I can’t see why I would stop rooting for them. 

42 minutes ago, Stradling said:

While I don’t really agree with this, I have always said that there are times where this place feels like the Jim Rome Jungle, where people were bigger fans of “the Jungle” than the sports they were talking about.  This place for me keeps me even more of a fan of the team.

This, although for some of us this place serves to actually drive more away at times. 
We have no doubt some amazingly knowledgeable and intelligent baseball fans on this forums, and sometimes we have fantastic great discussion, others it devolves into something else.

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

So for me personally, I don't think my level of interest would change much.  It's dwindling out of frustration for how the franchise is being run and not because of their location.  

The last few years, I think I understand what my Dad went through in the early Jackie/Richard Brown era.  Jackie had basically taken control of things by 91, Gene was around, he still loved the team but he just wasn't all there anymore Mark Langston in 89 was his last hurrah, he wanted it so badly..  My Dad had been an Angels fan from the day the team was announced, which was funny given he was still in Cuba. He always said he just felt this odd connection to the team, I've often wondered if the team wasn't partially why we ended up moving to Anaheim... but those early 90s Jackie years were rough on him.  

I already answered this earlier, but...

Being an Angels fan has multiple levels for me.  It covers lots of years... going back to my childhood. There are memories and special times associated with it all.  If the Angels were to move away, it wouldn't be the same for me at all.  Mostly because there wouldn't be the same kind of opportunities to create more memories. 

I've also wondered what would happen if I moved away.  Would I still be an Angels fan or would I adopt another team closer to a new location?  I don't really know.  If I lived in San Diego, I could see myself becoming a Padres fan, but that's as far as my thought non that have gone.

Growing up, basketball was my favorite sport and the Lakers were my #1 favorite team in all of sports.  I don't even watch the NBA any more...  All that is to say, I don't know where my fandom will take me.

15 hours ago, Lou said:

I guess it would still depend.

If it's Vegas, yes. Anywhere else, i would basically lose interest in MLB. 

We're still waiting on the Athletics to make a decision. They have put in a bid on a piece of property here, but I am not ruling out an eleventh hour deal with Oakland. If the A's don't come, then I would be delighted to have the Angels here. There would probably be a name change, because Las Vegas Angels just doesn't work. Sounds like a strip club.

34 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I already answered this earlier, but...

Being an Angels fan has multiple levels for me.  It covers lots of years... going back to my childhood. There are memories and special times associated with it all.  If the Angels were to move away, it wouldn't be the same for me at all.  Mostly because there wouldn't be the same kind of opportunities to create more memories. 

I've also wondered what would happen if I moved away.  Would I still be an Angels fan or would I adopt another team closer to a new location?  I don't really know.  If I lived in San Diego, I could see myself becoming a Padres fan, but that's as far as my thought non that have gone.

Growing up, basketball was my favorite sport and the Lakers were my #1 favorite team in all of sports.  I don't even watch the NBA any more...  All that is to say, I don't know where my fandom will take me.

I have so many memories growing up that are ingrained in me.  The Angels are a connection to family I have lost.  When I was a kid I remember thinking someday I will be able to afford season tickets.  I had season tickets for over 20 years, then gave them up.  I don’t go to a lot of games anymore.  I watch virtually every game on TV.  I also travel most years to see them play on the road.  I do Spring Training more years than not.  If they moved I would still travel to see them, I would just be traveling to see them at their home stadium.  I would still go see opening day.  It would just be a lot more expensive.  

I was born into a family of Angels fans, so I really feel like I'd still be a fan if they moved elsewhere. Plus, other than the first 2 years of my life, I've lived at least 3+ hours away from Anaheim so I don't really feel as though the Angels are my "local" team and I don't have an attachment one way or another to the City of Anaheim. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yes! I've been a fan of the Angels since '79 and lived in Seattle, WA since 2005. 

I pray they move to Nashville, TN where I plan to retire & live out my remaining years on this earth in two weeks. 🙏

A move to Nashville would be fantastic. I've been mulling over relocation there. I haven't mostly because I live in a small bubble of CA unaffected by the rest of the crap everyone else is dealing with. But if it ever crept here, Tennessee (more rural, I'm not cut out for urban anymore) is where we would head out to. Beautiful, temperate, free. 

I’d still be a fan.  The brain damage is permanent.  But lol where are they going to go that would be better than Southern California ? this is just about as good as it gets as far as sports markets go. They aren’t leaving so cal.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

Chuck's moving to Nashville?

Also, to answer, no. I'm a firm believer of picking a favorite team when you're young and sticking with it. 

I was raised as both an Angels and Dodgers fan, growing up in the Valley, in LA...my parents having grown up in Orange County and Riverside County. But we live closer to Dodger Stadium. In my teenage years we would go to at least one Angels game if the team was in town the week we vacationed in Newport Beach. They gradually took over my fandom, with Percy and Salmon and Edmonds, Finley, and it culminated in the Scioscia hire who was always my favorite Dodger before and after Fox traded Piazza for a bunch of Marlins, I lost faith in that team. I already followed the Angels a bit more by that point in the mid 1990's, and that was the last disappearance of my childhood Dodger fandom.

I lost faith with the Lakers after Kareem and Magic retired. I started watching Utah Jazz with Stockton and Malone and they became my favorite Basketball team.

And the Rams were godawful in the 1980's so I always followed San Francisco 49ers. Those are my three teams.

If any of them moves, I would stay a fan. If they did what the Ravens/Browns did and left and were replaced by a new Angels team in say Tustin, I'd become a fan of the new Angels. But that's not gonna happen.

If they move, they're likely to move to LA or a different part of OC.

Las Vegas is not an option, no team is leaving a more populous market to go to a smaller one. Plus, its way too hot in Vegas in the summer.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

A move to Nashville would be fantastic. I've been mulling over relocation there. I haven't mostly because I live in a small bubble of CA unaffected by the rest of the crap everyone else is dealing with. But if it ever crept here, Tennessee (more rural, I'm not cut out for urban anymore) is where we would head out to. Beautiful, temperate, free. 

Yeah I'm just north of Nashville in between the music city and Kentucky border in the countryside. 

If you switch teams because they moved or you move then obviously your relationship to the team was not etched in your DNA. I became a fan when I was 7 years old so there is no way to get them out of my bloodstream. 

Considering access to watching the Angels on multiple platforms without going to the stadium makes it a simpler choice about staying connected to the games. Even if I moved to the East Coast and games didn't start until 10 pm I could record them and watch with my morning coffee. It's not a big game changer. 

13 hours ago, Tank said:

I went thru this when the Rams moved to St. Louis. Had no interest in them or what they did, and when they won the super bowl, it was irritating.

If the halos moved out of state, my loyalty to them would also leave. 

This was my way of thinking when the Rams moved...still cannot root for them....But since then, I have relocated, so if the Angels moved....I would still follow them.  Now...if the moved from Tempe...and relocated...that might be a different story.

My wife may not agree, but I am not as much of a fan as I used to be.  I still enjoy the game, enjoy watching, coaching...but it's not like everything is put on hold if a game is on TV.  

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’d still be a fan.  The brain damage is permanent.  But lol where are they going to go that would be better than Southern California ? this is just about as good as it gets as far as sports markets go. They aren’t leaving so cal.  

This is a joke right?  There’s a reason it took the NFL forever to come back to LA.  Southern California is really not a sports hotbed at all, with the exception of the Lakers and maybe the Dodgers sports fans here are as fairweather as it gets when it comes to attendance, there is way too many other things to do here.  It is not anywhere near the sports market as many places in the Eastern part of the country

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

If you switch teams because they moved or you move then obviously your relationship to the team was not etched in your DNA. I became a fan when I was 7 years old so there is no way to get them out of my bloodstream. 

Considering access to watching the Angels on multiple platforms without going to the stadium makes it a simpler choice about staying connected to the games. Even if I moved to the East Coast and games didn't start until 10 pm I could record them and watch with my morning coffee. It's not a big game changer. 

For the most part I agree with you but if a team moves, completely rebrands, and all the players from before leave or retire, can you really call them the same team?

10 minutes ago, mmc said:

This is a joke right?  There’s a reason it took the NFL forever to come back to LA.  Southern California is really not a sports hotbed at all, with the exception of the Lakers and maybe the Dodgers sports fans here are as fairweather as it gets when it comes to attendance, there is way too many other things to do here.  It is not anywhere near the sports market as many places in the Eastern part of the country

You are forgetting advertising dollars and team value. There’s a reason the Chargers moved 90 miles north. 

17 minutes ago, mmc said:

I don’t think you really get how teams make money and I don’t think you appreciate how valuable this market is.  Teams, particularly baseball teams make most of their money from the tv deals.  There are no richer tv deals then what they’ll be able to get in so cal.  That aside when you add in the merchandising, stadium related profits.  This is where the fan base is.  Loud mouth morons on sports radio don’t directly equate with revenue.  And even if they wanted to move to a somewhat similarly densely populated east coast market i guarantee you those teams would not waive their regional rights for the Angels.  The A’s couldn’t get the the Giants to sign off on their move down the freeway.  You think the Yankees or Red Sox or LOL the Orioles are giving up market rights ? No.  They are not.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

27 minutes ago, mmc said:

Television contracts is what makes the difference between markets, not specifically fan attendance.