• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels and Reds have discussed Castillo trade, remain far apart

mmc

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

But we could, if necessary, include Taylor Ward.

You give a lot of shit to a guy like Ward, who had a bit of a break out season last year.  He uses the entire field, strikes out and walks at league average and was 8% above league average offensively last year.  He also can move around the diamond.  Obviously he isn’t the corner stone to a trade, but he has value as an addition to a trade.  Especially if being sent to a rebuilding team, looking for league average production at league minimum.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You give a lot of shit to a guy like Ward, who had a bit of a break out season last year.  He uses the entire field, strikes out and walks at league average and was 8% above league average offensively last year.  He also can move around the diamond.  Obviously he isn’t the corner stone to a trade, but he has value as an addition to a trade.  Especially if being sent to a rebuilding team, looking for league average production at league minimum.  

I could see a team like Miami or Minnesota taking Ward + one of our younger, fringier MLB arms like Criswell or Tyler or Yan for a MLB reliever who is into arb like Caleb Thielbar or Dylan Floro, if they’re looking to scrimp a couple mill. Maybe Oakland for Lou Trivino even if the arm/prospect had a little more ceiling. Miami also has Jorge Alfaro who could be a decent back-up C option. Swapping him for Ward would give the Halos almost the same player with a little more experience behind the plate. Detroit has some arb-eligible pen arms that might be doable too.

A couple moves like that could go a long way to helping out the bullpen. Still need a closer but would add a lot more stability to mid-relief.

Edited by totdprods

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ward is a solid bench guy and underrated. He’s cheap, plays multiple positions and still has upside. Dude looked very natural in cf last year. And as a bonus, he can steal a bag. He’s kind of a dunsky on the bases but he runs well. And as a double bonus, he’s a legit third catcher. 

Just now, Dochalo said:

Ward is a solid bench guy and underrated. He’s cheap, plays multiple positions and still has upside. Dude looked very natural in cf last year. And as a bonus, he can steal a bag. He’s kind of a dunsky on the bases but he runs well. And as a double bonus, he’s a legit third catcher. 

Yep.  He obviously isn’t the centerpiece to any big deal, but as an addition, there is value.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

You misunderstand me on Ward.  He is not worthless.  He has carved out an existence and he can occupy a spot on somebody’s bench.  Any player that can occupy a spot on a roster has some amount of value.

Me bringing him up in this “trade for a premium starter” context is he is pretty much worthless in that kind of trade.

An acquiring team wants the highest quality prospects.  They are going to choose a package of fewer high quality prospects over a package that tries to get the deal done by adding throw ins.

Our fan base (and probably every fan base) way too often throw out proposals where they trade a volume of second and third tier prospects for a premium player.  And then double down by saying add a guy like Ward to get it done.

I am mocking that.  I am not mocking Taylor Ward.

He is (unfortunately) an easy example to use for a few things:

1). some bad drafts

2). some peculiar ongoing unfounded optimism for him just because he has been around forever and was a first round pick

3). a habit of Angel fans thinking a guy like this is going to be of anything more than absolutely minuscule interest to an acquiring team

I have nothing against Ward.  I want him to have a career and I respect his perseverance and as long as he is in an Angel uniform I want him to be good.

But want and expect are not the same thing.  I don’t want to be an idiot.  I don’t expect him to be anything more than he has already shown.  And that, if I try to be objective, means he has ridiculously minuscule trade value. . . . Especially in the kind of trade most fans are mentioning his name in over the last couple of years.

22 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

For a team on a budget, he's a good guy to target to find a cheap, controllable potential upgrade on the margin of a roster. That applies here in Anaheim just as much on other teams. 

But if you could pair him with a fringe 40-man arm for an arb reliever - some of these teams might be more willing to more on from a vet RP making $2m if they have someone in the wings to work with - it's a good to address a need and clear a spot on the 40-man here too. 

We could see some activity like this today with the non-tender deadline. I've been hoping for this, to be honest. If we can take 2-4 guys from the bottom of the 40-man and flip them into 1-2 young vet RPs, it'd be a big win for the Halos, and would open some 40-man space for waiver claims, free agents, or Rule 5.

Perry did a decent job trading last year to acquire vets by absorbing portions of salary, could see some moves like that to address RP, C, or even SS, possibly today.

Edited by totdprods