• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels and Reds have discussed Castillo trade, remain far apart

mmc

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I...fuck it. Do it. Get Scherzer too.

That might be tricky, but trading for Castillo and signing someone like Jon Gray or Alex Cobb to presumably replace someone like Suarez, Canning, or Sandoval (who I imagine would be discussed if not definitely involved) could be financially feasible.

Castillo, Syndergaard, Ohtani, Gray/Cobb, any two remaining of Sandoval/Suarez/Canning/Barria/Detmers is a pretty deep rotation.

Edited by totdprods

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

While I would like Castillo, I do think it would cost one of our young OF and one of our starters or maybe two. Don’t know if I like that price.

I’d rather get Stroman and try to resign Iglesias.

After Perry outlined the "type" of pitcher he was looking for, I began to discount any interest that they may have/had in Stroman...

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I really don’t get the predictable “that’s a lot to give up” and “that’s a high price to pay” comments every time the Angels are rumored to be trying to acquire a high quality (high value) player.

Duh?

I honestly do not believe Luis Castillo is a high quality nor high value pitcher. He is middle of the rotation/middle of the road.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

I really don’t get the predictable “that’s a lot to give up” and “that’s a high price to pay” comments every time the Angels are rumored to be trying to acquire a high quality (high value) player.

Duh?

When we make a big trade the threads are always amazing. It's like a movie plot. Starts out hopeful: "Holy shit!", "YESSSS THANK YOU GM!" etc... 

Then there's some doubt: "Ok we're giving up this guy, hopefully we aren't giving up this other guy". "I'll wait to say I like this until we find out what we've given up."

Then the slow burn: "No! You're giving up him? Please tell me this is it." "WTF please tell me GM didn't get fucked"

Then the hammer drops: "OMG FUCK YOU GM!" "This is a joke. Good job getting completely schooled GM." "FIRE GM NOW!"

People expect to give up nothing to get everything. This is the same for all fanbases.

5 minutes ago, John Taylor said:

I honestly do not believe Luis Castillo is a high quality nor high value pitcher. He is middle of the rotation/middle of the road.

I would say Castillo is safely among the top 20 starters in baseball.

That is not a middle of the rotation starter.  That makes him a #1 for many teams.

If Castillo is your #3 starter, your rotation is epic.

47 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

If the price is "very high," pass.  Probably something like Marsh, Detmers, and Canning?  And honestly, I'm not even sure that would get it done.

Too high a price to pay, at some point giving up young arms to get young arms becomes a lateral move.
No im not suggesting they are as good as he, but Detmers could be close enough so why give up the rest?
AS others have said, one of the OF, a young pitcher not in our top 3, and whatever else... lets not forget Castillo only has two years left. 

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I would say Castillo is safely among the top 20 starters in baseball.

That is not a middle of the rotation starter.  That makes him a #1 for many teams.

If Castillo is your #3 starter, your rotation is epic.

8-16 with a 3.98 ERA and leading the NL in walks is top 20 in baseball?

He wasn't even the best pitcher on his team last year Tyler Mahle was.

I don't know if any of you remember, but a little birdie told @Chuckster70last trade deadline that Angels scouts were on hand for Castillo's start against the Padres. 

At the time, it was believed that the Reds were looking at three Angels position players, Adell, Marsh and Jeremiah Jackson. 

There were negotiations, and the fact that there still are is actually a promising sign. Sometimes, the groundwork for off-season trades is laid during the trade deadline.