• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Tyler Wade from the Yankees for PTBNL/cash, DFA Wong

mmc

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

Awesome. Was actually hoping this would happen when the Yanks DFA'd him.

It's nice to know we have a utility guy who can steal bases. I feel like it has been a lifetime since we've had a Chone Figgins type who can steal some bags, get on base and play all around the diamond. 

3 hours ago, Junkballer said:

So does this pretty much guarantee Gosselin being moved?

i think they like gosselin. so by extension of that thinking, i believe he's going to stay. the caveat to that line though is that i think the same of mayfield, and that's problematic if they sign a FA SS or trade for a starting SS.

9 hours ago, totdprods said:

Dig it, was hoping we'd make a move for him after they cut him loose. 

FWIW, I like the idea of having a combo of Rengifo, Wade, Velazquez, and Mayfield at the ready for SS while we work on pitching and catcher first. 

By having such a replaceable list of players too, it allows us more flexibility in being opportunistic as the FA SS market plays out. Had he rushed off and gotten Iglesias or Simmons, we'd have spent some money and put ourselves out of any possibility of someone like Story on a one-year deal, or a favorable deal for Seager, Correa, Baez, Semien, whatever, however it plays out.

Gotta spend on pitching (and catching) first.

6 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm hoping it is gathering as many low cost SS to throw into Spring training competition since we're spending all the money on pitching. Throw 10 darts and one might hit right?

We will be going for the sure fire method of signing four guys who can’t play shortstop instead of just signing one who can.

4 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Wade is going to be our utility infielder/Outfielder.  Who brings speed ! Wong was a horrific base runner! When you can't read a ball hit in front of you as a base runner! You are in a world of hurt.

Wade is an improvement. Hopefully he is the next Tommy LaStella here. And with two primarily right handed bats in the infield as the starters it makes sense to add a lefty. 

And the versatility is great too, as you have Ward and Thaiss too.. it’s a good fit. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Wade is an improvement. Hopefully he is the next Tommy LaStella here. And with two primarily right handed bats in the infield as the starters it makes sense to add a lefty. 

And the versatility is great too, as you have Ward and Thaiss too.. it’s a good fit. 

I doubt he adds the power La Stella did, but it'd be awesome if he could play good defense and maintain an above-average OBP.

The Angels seem likely to go cheap on SS and catcher, the question would be can they get at least league average players at two key positions while doing it.  Minasian must have a plan for this, maybe hoping for a successful trade or two before the season or around the trade deadline.  I could see them signing a cheap catcher, hoping to work Thaiss into the mix at some point and going with internal options at SS.  But I’m uneasy counting on Thaiss and Renfigo and company to have breakout years (read league average years).

if there’s $20-30M to spend the farm will take a hit at some point.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

The Angels seem likely to go cheap on SS and catcher, the question would be can they get at least league average players at two key positions while doing it.  Minasian must have a plan for this, maybe hoping for a successful trade or two before the season or around the trade deadline.  I could see them signing a cheap catcher, hoping to work Thaiss into the mix at some point and going with internal options at SS.  But I’m uneasy counting on Thaiss and Renfigo and company to have breakout years (read league average years).

if there’s $20-30M to spend the farm will take a hit at some point.

Yeah - there are too many holes to fill to throw money at all of them.

Given how deep the SS market is this offseason, it's possible we can get a decent player for a deal, given that the big players will be pursuing all the high-end options (Seager, Correa, etc).  

Right now, we have Wade, Mayfield, and Rengifo as options.  Obviously that's rather lackluster, but Wade is at least league average if nothing else, and Rengifo does have potential - while it seems like he's been around forever, he's still just 24 and can improve further.

I do think we will sign/acquire a backup C.  Thaiss might be the longer-term option, but given how little he has caught in recent years, I'm thinking they'll want him to spend a good chunk of time in AAA, continuing to work on his game.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah - there are too many holes to fill to throw money at all of them.

Given how deep the SS market is this offseason, it's possible we can get a decent player for a deal, given that the big players will be pursuing all the high-end options (Seager, Correa, etc).  

Right now, we have Wade, Mayfield, and Rengifo as options.  Obviously that's rather lackluster, but Wade is at least league average if nothing else, and Rengifo does have potential - while it seems like he's been around forever, he's still just 24 and can improve further.

I do think we will sign/acquire a backup C.  Thaiss might be the longer-term option, but given how little he has caught in recent years, I'm thinking they'll want him to spend a good chunk of time in AAA, continuing to work on his game.

They also have recent add to the 40 Man, brendon Davis in the SS Mix.

I think they’re gonna let Thaiss do it. They cut Wallach instead of the more obvious Gosselin who they may in fact tender. I’d be shocked but perhaps.

He caught 54 games at C in 2021, and they bypassed him several times to play in the bigs when they needed someone to play. Seems to me they want him to Catch.

37 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They also have recent add to the 40 Man, brendon Davis in the SS Mix.

I think they’re gonna let Thaiss do it. They cut Wallach instead of the more obvious Gosselin who they may in fact tender. I’d be shocked but perhaps.

He caught 54 games at C in 2021, and they bypassed him several times to play in the bigs when they needed someone to play. Seems to me they want him to Catch.

I agree that Thaiss is probably the long-term option, but I’m guessing they want to improve immediate depth and it’s likely we’ll see them sigh a backup catcher.  I think Wallach isn’t really major league quality, and he’ll just be stashed in AAA as depth.  So that’s why I think he was removed from the roster as opposed to Gosselin.

13 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

We will be going for the sure fire method of signing four guys who can’t play shortstop instead of just signing one who can.

There is budget. I'm great with having a defensive capable SS and below average back-up catcher if that means we fix out pitching staff. 

A SS can be added at the deadline. An entire pitching staff cannot. 

8 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

There is budget. I'm great with having a defensive capable SS and below average back-up catcher if that means we fix out pitching staff. 

A SS can be added at the deadline. An entire pitching staff cannot. 

If they can add a shortstop at the deadline they should add one in the off season. How often do you see playoff teams without a major league shortstop?

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If they can add a shortstop at the deadline they should add one in the off season. How often do you see playoff teams without a major league shortstop?

If they go out and blow past their normal budget to add pitching and then end up with Rengifo/Wade etal at SS then I would actually they rather trade some prospects to complete the team and get someone legit.