• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 4/6)

Angelsjunky

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

To me Wade brings a glove and speed and can find those types, hell Angels have so many now.

And he’s left handed and defensively capable at 7 positions. His speed is elite and he had 17 SB in 145 PA. 

I think he may end up with the most Games played of all the MINF candidates. He was as good as Fletcher and Duffy offensively last season. 90 OPS+. Duffy was at 100… Fletcher’s best was 120 in 2020, but last season slipped to 71. He’s been at 88 and 95 in previous years. 

Velazquez and Rengifo haven’t been able to come Near these numbers. Stefanic may exceed these as will Davis but can they hit in the majors and or play defense.

16 minutes ago, Hubs said:

And he’s left handed and defensively capable at 7 positions. His speed is elite and he had 17 SB in 145 PA. 

I think he may end up with the most Games played of all the MINF candidates. He was as good as Fletcher and Duffy offensively last season. 90 OPS+. Duffy was at 100… Fletcher’s best was 120 in 2020, but last season slipped to 71. He’s been at 88 and 95 in previous years. 

Velazquez and Rengifo haven’t been able to come Near these numbers. Stefanic may exceed these as will Davis but can they hit in the majors and or play defense.

I think Duffy and Fletcher start season at SS and 2B . Wade will be backup and as part of 28 I hope Jose Rojas is on opening day roster. Rengifo and Velazquez in minors. As of now Angels MINF is near bottom of MLB. Wade's numbers last year are very limited and if he is batting 9th and on first base and Ohtani leading off his chance to run would be limited. I do agree Fletcher numbers need to improve from last year or he might be sitting more in 2022. 

4 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I think Duffy and Fletcher start season at SS and 2B . Wade will be backup and as part of 28 I hope Jose Rojas is on opening day roster. Rengifo and Velazquez in minors. As of now Angels MINF is near bottom of MLB. Wade's numbers last year are very limited and if he is batting 9th and on first base and Ohtani leading off his chance to run would be limited. I do agree Fletcher numbers need to improve from last year or he might be sitting more in 2022. 

I think Rojas is at the top of the list to be DFA'd should they need a roster spot.

9 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I think Rojas is at the top of the list to be DFA'd should they need a roster spot.

Jose is crushing it so far. Spring numbers, but still.

I imagine at least one of the current SS crop is off the 40-man before end of spring, if not two. They don’t need Mayfield, Duffy, Fletcher, Davis, Wade, Velazquez, and Rengifo when they all basically fill the same role. Rojas is one of a relatively thin corner IF (even spot OF) depth, plus the only real power source on the bench sans Upton. Doesn’t mean he is a sure thing for the Opening Day roster or a even a bench role, but his skillset isn’t nearly as redundant, especially with Thaiss now full-time behind the plate.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It would have had no impact on that decision. There wasn’t room on the 40 man roster. 

Have they placed Rodriguez and/or Canning on the 60-day yet?

edit: yeah I guess 3/16 for Duffy and Suzuki, deals that seem weirdly unnecessary the deeper spring goes on. 

Edited by totdprods

The problem with Rojas is that his best positions are occupied on the Angels. I thought he’d get more time at 3rd last year when Rendon went down but he wasn’t hitting enough. And at 1st he’s left handed so he doesn’t make a good platoon partner for Walsh. On another team, he could be the lefty bench / 1b /DH guy and may have success away from Anaheim. 

21 minutes ago, Hubs said:

The problem with Rojas is that his best positions are occupied on the Angels. I thought he’d get more time at 3rd last year when Rendon went down but he wasn’t hitting enough. And at 1st he’s left handed so he doesn’t make a good platoon partner for Walsh. On another team, he could be the lefty bench / 1b /DH guy and may have success away from Anaheim. 

I like his bat coming off bench as part of 28 in April. Bat off the bench and I understand he does not fit otherwise. If Marsh is sent down as a lefty OF Rojas could fill in.

32 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I like his bat coming off bench as part of 28 in April. Bat off the bench and I understand he does not fit otherwise. If Marsh is sent down as a lefty OF Rojas could fill in.

I just don’t see him as anything more than a 4A player. He’s not good defensively like Wade. They need a versatile right handed bench and a versatile left handed bench guy and that’s Ward and Wade. Maybe if Upton isn’t on the team or if Adell Or Marsh start in the Minors. They will likely add two pitchers to the team for the 28. 

But Rojas is a possibility I guess. Mayfield is also a long shot. 

rosters set at 28 until May 1 now.

I assume we will keep a few more arms -- perhaps a speedster for late inning Pinch Running duties.

but two pen depth guys (maybe a long relief guy who can spot start).

are the 9 inning double headers they are putting into place during the early part of the season or spread through out the year.

• mmc changed the title to Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 3/17)
3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He’s going to miss most of the season. I don’t think he’s throwing yet. 

Jeff among pitchers trying to make bullpen who is on 40 man roster and who has options. I'm talking about Herget, Marte, Ortega, Warren and Wantz. How many in bullpen for April on 28 man roster. Good Luck with book.

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Jeff among pitchers trying to make bullpen who is on 40 man roster and who has options. I'm talking about Herget, Marte, Ortega, Warren and Wantz. How many in bullpen for April on 28 man roster. Good Luck with book.

I'm not Jeff, but you can look this stuff up. Hey, I'll do it for you.

Pitchers on the 40-man roster with options:

1: Sandoval

2: Herget, Criswell

3: Warren, Diaz, Junk, Detmers, Wantz, Marte, Peguero, Ortega

It is worth nothing that while Barria and Suarez have 0 options, Sandoval has 1. Canning has 3, but isn't on the 40-man roster right now due to being on the 60-man IL (same with C-Rod).

As for the question of what the breakdown of the 28-man roster will be, my guess is that they start with 12-13 position players, 6 starters, and 9-10 relievers.

My guess is that they go with either Junk or Detmers as the 6th starter, with the other starting in AAA and Barria as being mop-up guy in the bullpen.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't see them keeping a "regular" 6th starter. They'll probably swing Junk around.

I agree with this.  I think they'll use the last spot to option guys back and forth (though this will be limited to a degree now given the new CBA).

I can see Junk, Barria, and Detmers getting a chunk of the 6th man starts, with Detmers likely permanently earning the spot partially into the season.  With Barria, since he is out of options, I think he'll probably be primarily in the bullpen as the "long-man," but could see him making occasional starts.

That said, all teams need decent option-able SPs, and it does appear we have a few.

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm not Jeff, but you can look this stuff up. Hey, I'll do it for you.

Pitchers on the 40-man roster with options:

1: Sandoval

2: Herget, Criswell

3: Warren, Diaz, Junk, Detmers, Wantz, Marte, Peguero, Ortega

It is worth nothing that while Barria and Suarez have 0 options, Sandoval has 1. Canning has 3, but isn't on the 40-man roster right now due to being on the 60-man IL (same with C-Rod).

Thank you for your time and information. I have halos with 8 in pen with Barria and Warren. In April adding 1 for 9 and depending on schedule if 6 starters will be on opening day roster. I like having arms like Herget, Marte, Ortega in minors ready just in case. I was wondering about INF never mind again Thank You