• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 4/6)

Angelsjunky

They were super, and weirdly, conservative with Braxton last year. He hit .333/.445/.578 in low A ball last year as a 27-year old, and the Angels still kept him there for 79 games. He continued crushing it in A+ for 7 games, hitting .308/.367/.692.

Chances are the Angels put him in AA to start, but I expect he'll be up in AAA as depth by the end of the season. The bat seems legit, at least as a bench guy.

2 hours ago, mmc said:

If they go to 28, then I expect them to carry 15 or 16 pitchers including Ohtani. It allows them more depth to have an extra catcher or infielder, or outfielder if they need it as well, but most likely it will be 2 pitchers.

Rotation: Ohtani, Syndergaard, Sandoval, Suarez, Lorenzen, Detmers

Pen: Iglesias, Loup, Tepera, Mayers, Bradley, Warren, Quijada, Barria, Ortega, 

OF: Trout, Upton, Adell, Marsh, Ward

INF: Walsh, Fletcher, Rendon, Wade, Duffy, Mayfield?

Catchers: Stassi, Suzuki

28 players does change things a bit. For instance, I think it all but guarantees that we'll see a five-man outfield to start the year, although whether or not they go with the top five guys--Trout, Upton, Adell, Marsh, Ward--or put one of Marsh or Ward in AAA and go with Sierra or Cabbage as the 5OF remains to be seen. Adell seems to edge out those two right now, at least based upon spring performance.

By my accounting, 25 players are virtual locks for roster spots:

C Stassi, Suzuki

IF Rendon, Walsh, Fletcher, Duffy, Wade

OF Trout, Upton, Adell, Marsh, Ward

SP Ohtani, Syndergaard, Sandoval, Suarez, Lorenzen, Barria

RP Iglesias, Loup, Tepera, Mayers, Bradley, Warren, Quijada

I think the questions for the three remaining spots are:

1. Do they go with a third catcher and if so, whom? Leading candidates: Thaiss, Romine, Wallach.

2. Do they go with a sixth infielder, and whom? Candidates: Mayfield, Velazquez, Rengifo, maybe Wong, Rojas, Gomez, Stefanic.

3. Do they try to get playing time for the top five outfielders, or put, say, Marsh in AAA for more regular playing time with Sierra or Cabbage as the 5OF?

4. Will Detmers earn the sixth spot, pushing Barria to the bull-pen?

5. Depending upon the above, who are the 1-2 extra relievers? If Detmers is in the rotation, Barria goes to the pen (out of options). Buttrey probably gets more time in AAA, so that leaves Wantz, Herget, Ortega, Marte, Peguerao, Ramos, Ponce de Leon, Barraclouch, Valdez and maybe Kristofak.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

If they go to 28, then I expect them to carry 15 or 16 pitchers including Ohtani. It allows them more depth to have an extra catcher or infielder, or outfielder if they need it as well, but most likely it will be 2 pitchers.

Rotation: Ohtani, Syndergaard, Sandoval, Suarez, Lorenzen, Detmers

Pen: Iglesias, Loup, Tepera, Mayers, Bradley, Warren, Quijada, Barria, Ortega, 

OF: Trout, Upton, Adell, Marsh, Ward

INF: Walsh, Fletcher, Rendon, Wade, Duffy, Mayfield?

Catchers: Stassi, Suzuki

Somewhere Jose Rojas needs to be on 28 man plus Barria in pen over Ortega

59 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Somewhere Jose Rojas needs to be on 28 man plus Barria in pen over Ortega

Barria is in my pen. Rojas HS defensive shortcomings like Stefanic 

18 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Barria is in my pen. Rojas HS defensive shortcomings like Stefanic 

Duffy and Fletcher start you need left handed PH Rojas best option. Rojas over Mayfield for me. Do not forget about Herget in pen or Valdez for Ortega especially if Ortega has options

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Duffy and Fletcher start you need left handed PH Rojas best option. Rojas over Mayfield for me. Do not forget about Herget in pen or Valdez for Ortega especially if Ortega has options

Valdez is on a minor league deal. Herget could win over Ortega but I doubt it.

Tyler Wade is the lefty. He has no options and is versatile. 

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Page 1 still exists...

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

If Barria is number 7 for rotations who is 8, 9 and 10 on depth chart now?

Junk, Diaz, Bachman. 

12 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Rojas replaces Mayfield on 28 man roster

Ok, so I doubt Mayfield makes it, hence the question mark, but Rengifo will likely also be at 2B in AAA, with Velazquez at SS. I don't think they'll carry an extra infielder in the first month, but maybe they do. 

I do think they carry Ward and Wade as the primary bench guys, but we'll see how it all shakes out. With a 26-man roster, you have 14 pitchers including Ohtahi, and 12 infielders, so that's 4 bench spots. I think it's Suzuki, Ward, Wade, and Upton (though he's really in a platoon with the two young guys for the corners).

With 28, then you can carry an extra infielder, but more likely you carry additional arms. 

Just now, Hubs said:

Ok, so I doubt Mayfield makes it, hence the question mark, but Rengifo will likely also be at 2B in AAA, with Velazquez at SS. I don't think they'll carry an extra infielder in the first month, but maybe they do. 

I do think they carry Ward and Wade as the primary bench guys, but we'll see how it all shakes out. With a 26-man roster, you have 14 pitchers including Ohtahi, and 12 infielders, so that's 4 bench spots. I think it's Suzuki, Ward, Wade, and Upton (though he's really in a platoon with the two young guys for the corners).

With 28, then you can carry an extra infielder, but more likely you carry additional arms. 

And those arms will be guys off the 40-man, not Vasquez on a minor league deal, or they'll have to DFA someone from the 40, which isn't gonna happen.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

I believe the limit for pitchers last year was 13 of the 26.  Since we start with 28 I imagine the limit for pitchers will be 14.

Ohtani also didn't count towards the limit last year, so it's not new. I'd think the temporary limit is gonna be 16.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

And those arms will be guys off the 40-man, not Vasquez on a minor league deal, or they'll have to DFA someone from the 40, which isn't gonna happen.

I also think when it's 26  they might send Adell or Marsh to minors. I also feel something will happen before opening day via trade. I could see Archer come in on a minor league contract. 

37 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

We are seriously short on SP depth. There will be injuries, especially with a protracted ST. Bullpen can only cover so much.

Apparently the pitching we’ve been putting on waivers is good enough for other teams to pick up, that suggests we have some good arms in the wings.  Or Perry doesn’t know what he’s doing, one or the other.