• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 4/6)

Angelsjunky

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Thank you for your time and information. I have halos with 8 in pen with Barria and Warren. In April adding 1 for 9 and depending on schedule if 6 starters will be on opening day roster. I like having arms like Herget, Marte, Ortega in minors ready just in case. I was wondering about INF never mind again Thank You

I'll do infielders (40-man only):

3: Fletcher, Davis

2: Rojas

1: Walsh, Mayfield, Rengifo, Velazquez

None/NA: Duffy, Wade, Rendon

Neither Wong nor Stefanic are on the 40-man. Wong has 2 options, while Stefanic is Rule-5 eligible, meaning if he isn't added to the 40-man by next December, another team can claim him. Clearly he'll need to be protected, but by then guys like Mayfield and Velazquez will probably be gone.

Edited by Angelsjunky

14 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Jeff among pitchers trying to make bullpen who is on 40 man roster and who has options. I'm talking about Herget, Marte, Ortega, Warren and Wantz. How many in bullpen for April on 28 man roster. Good Luck with book.

Those guys all are on the 40 man and all have options. 

Iglesias, Loup, Bradley, Tepera, Mayers are in and Quijada is also in because he’s out of options  I figure Warren has a very strong spot too because of how he pitched last year. Detmers sure looks like the 6th starter so that means Barría (out of options) is probably also in. That’s 8.

Marte has been really good so I’d call him No 9. If they want 10, maybe Herget or Wantz.

Buttrey is not on the 40-man but I expect him to be added in early April and then optioned. If he’s as good as they say, he’ll be up soon into the season.

i think there will be 9 or 10 relievers on the 28-man roster and then 8 when they go to 26.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Those guys all are on the 40 man and all have options. 

Iglesias, Loup, Bradley, Tepera, Mayers are in and Quijada is also in because he’s out of options  I figure Warren has a very strong spot too because of how he pitched last year. Detmers sure looks like the 6th starter so that means Barría (out of options) is probably also in. That’s 8.

Marte has been really good so I’d call him No 9. If they want 10, maybe Herget or Wantz.

Buttrey is not on the 40-man but I expect him to be added in early April and then optioned. If he’s as good as they say, he’ll be up soon into the season.

i think there will be 9 or 10 relievers on the 28-man roster and then 8 when they go to 26.

Thank you Jeff

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

https://halohangout.com/posts/la-angels-quietly-lose-one-of-their-top-pitching-prospects-01fz2bp8d0d4/amp

I don't know anything about Kyle Tyler but this article says it's a big mistake letting him go.

Someone at Halo Hangout really loves raw ERA (for RPs) and doesn't have a clue about predictive data.

Bet he wants the Angels to bring back Parker Bridwell too.

I liked Kyle Tyler quite a bit and think he's got plenty of utility for a big league pitching staff, but at the same time, replacing him with an arm of comparable floor/ceiling via waiver claims or minor league free agency, if not redundancy within our own system, isn't terribly hard to accomplish. 

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

I liked Kyle Tyler quite a bit and think he's got plenty of utility for a big league pitching staff, but at the same time, replacing him with an arm of comparable floor/ceiling via waiver claims or minor league free agency, if not redundancy within our own system, isn't terribly hard to accomplish. 

He did get DFA’d by the Red Sox about a day after they claimed him. 

• Angelsjunky changed the title to Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 3/28)

I updated the chart, getting rid of Naughton and Tyler and moving a few guys around. Here is the latest:

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 8.28.12 PM.png

One thing that strikes me is that with Naughton and Tyler gone, and C-Rod, Canning and Criswell hurt, the AAA rotation depth is looking rather sparse (which is why I moved Kalish and Daniel to Group A).

I also called Group B relievers "A Bunch of Guys" because there are just too many list, and a lot of guys who will likely never see major league time this year (Ledo? Aro? Weiss? Kristofak?). The guys in Group A are those that I think have an outside chance of making the 28-man roster, or at least take the bus from Salt Lake to Anaheim sometime within the first half as needed.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I updated the chart, getting rid of Naughton and Tyler and moving a few guys around. Here is the latest:

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 8.28.12 PM.png

One thing that strikes me is that with Naughton and Tyler gone, and C-Rod, Canning and Criswell hurt, the AAA rotation depth is looking rather sparse (which is why I moved Kalish and Daniel to Group A).

I also called Group B relievers "A Bunch of Guys" because there are just too many list, and a lot of guys who will likely never see major league time this year (Ledo? Aro? Weiss? Kristofak?). The guys in Group A are those that I think have an outside chance of making the 28-man roster, or at least take the bus from Salt Lake to Anaheim sometime within the first half as needed.

Barria in pen if not in rotation

Here's what I think, as of this minute...

SP (6): Ohtani, Sandoval, Syndergaard, Suarez, Lorenzen, Detmers

RP (9): Iglesias, Loup, Bradley, Tepera, Mayers, Warren, Quijada, Barria, Marte.

C (2): Stassi, Suzuki

IF (6): Walsh, Wade, Duffy, Fletcher, Rendon, Mayfield

OF (5): Trout, Upton, Adell, Ward, Marsh.

Things I feel least sure about:

-Marte. He seems like he's been the best of the bubble relievers, but it's a small sample size and who knows. Wantz and Herget also could be in there. They also could just go with 10, which would probably mean Marte and Wantz/Herget, and then Mayfield/Marsh doesn't make it.

-Marsh. He is pretty clearly No. 5 on the depth chart, so it comes down to if they want him on the big league bench as a defensive replacement or playing every day at AAA.

-Mayfield. I think he's the leader of the 3 bubble infielders (Velazquez and Rengifo), but I could be wrong on that.

-Rojas. He's been great this spring, but I'm just not sure where he would fit. I guess he could play when Rendon gets a day off, but how often will that be? I guess he could also pinch-hit for one of the lesser RH hitters (Fletcher? Duffy?) but that opportunity just won't come up that much. It's probably better if he just plays everyday at AAA and keeps working on his defense.

Also...

None of this really matters.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

23 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

RP (9): Iglesias, Loup, Bradley, Tepera, Mayers, Warren, Quijada, Barria, Marte.

-Marte. He seems like he's been the best of the bubble relievers, but it's a small sample size and who knows. Wantz and Herget also could be in there. They also could just go with 10, which would probably mean Marte and Wantz/Herget, and then Mayfield/Marsh doesn't make it.

-Marsh. He is pretty clearly No. 5 on the depth chart, so it comes down to if they want him on the big league bench as a defensive replacement or playing every day at AAA.

-Mayfield. I think he's the leader of the 3 bubble infielders (Velazquez and Rengifo), but I could be wrong on that.

-Rojas. He's been great this spring, but I'm just not sure where he would fit. I guess he could play when Rendon gets a day off, but how often will that be? I guess he could also pinch-hit for one of the lesser RH hitters (Fletcher? Duffy?) but that opportunity just won't come up that much. It's probably better if he just plays everyday at AAA and keeps working on his defense.

Also...

I worry about Marsh and his strikeout rate and keep Rojas for lefty off bench. Marsh needs to play everyday and not sit in Angel dugout so send him to AAA.

26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Also...

Jeff, is Cueto an option for Angels?

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Also...

That's about 95% where I'm at, which makes me feel special.

Seriously, though, before getting to your "things I feel least sure about," I was thinking that it is a dice-roll with whether it is Marte, Wantz, Herget, or even Ortega. Barraclough is my darkhorse. Small sample size and all, but 7 Ks and 1 walk in 4 IP must give Maddon pause.

Marsh is tricky. Obviously the future is Marsh-Trout-Adell, but Upton will be given a chance and Ward is more developed. So I think they'll start with Upton-Trout-Adell, with Ward getting plenty of starts. The thing about Marsh is that he's by far their best option for a 4th outfielder in terms of his total package of skills. Meaning, having Marsh on the major league team is what is best for the team. I'm also not sure what else he needs to do in AAA. But they could opt towards making sure he gets regular playing time, so he'll be on old until Upton or Someone Else gets injured, and then go with Sierra as a pinchrunner/late-inning defensive replacement.

As for the infield, I suspect you're right, but I am irrationally still hopeful about Rengifo. As with Marsh, I'm not sure playing in AAA actually helps his development, but the Wade and Duffy signings made it clear that the Angels aren't confident in him. I do wonder, though, if Mayfield is a bit too one-dimensional and if they won't prefer to have Velazquez's glove on the bench.

Edited by Angelsjunky

11 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I worry about Marsh and his strikeout rate and keep Rojas for lefty off bench. Marsh needs to play everyday and not sit in Angel dugout so send him to AAA.

I hope he DOES go to AAA, keeping him up to play once or twice a week or be a defensive replacement serves no purpose.  I'd rather he continue to get regular at bats, improve on his bat to ball skills and come back a better more prepared player.  This isn't really any different than Adell last year.   

Marsh can still clean up his game some, there is no need to try to do that at the MLB level if they don't need to.  Plus a year of control is a year of control.

Spring stats and all, but Barraclough is starting to give off shades of Blake Parker's crazy spring. 

4 games, 4 IP, 4 hits, one ER, and 7 K to 0 BB. Control was an issue with him I believe throughout his career, so solid job so far. I haven't seen any of his appearances. How's he looking?