• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 4/6)

Angelsjunky

It’s wild that we have basically three two-way players on the team. I know Walsh’s pitching days are pretty much done, and Lorenzen isn’t expected to be used as a two-way player at any point, but the Angels have sure cornered that market. 

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

It’s wild that we have basically three two-way players on the team. I know Walsh’s pitching days are pretty much done, and Lorenzen isn’t expected to be used as a two-way player at any point, but the Angels have sure cornered that market. 

I bet Lorenzen gets a handful of PH appearances or the course of the season.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

pretty much the Maddon factor.  

Honestly with outfield depth somewhat thin…depending on how things play out, wouldn’t surprise me if Lorenzen is getting starts in the outfield at some point.

He is no longer a potential 5th in depth pool and I think he just moved to starter with Ward and Marsh alternating but then maybe they alternate all three. I just think Adell has a greater upside starting the season over Ward and Marsh and taking Upton out of left field permanently offers him that position to lose.

The biggest reason why I like the Angels carrying Adell, Marsh, Trout, and Ward as the 4 outfielders is defense.

Even if Marsh doesn't hit, his defense will be a big boost to the team even if it were just as a late-innings defensive replacement.

Most likely, he starts vs. RHP and provides late-inning defense whenever he doesn't start.

28 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The biggest reason why I like the Angels carrying Adell, Marsh, Trout, and Ward as the 4 outfielders is defense.

Even if Marsh doesn't hit, his defense will be a big boost to the team even if it were just as a late-innings defensive replacement.

Most likely, he starts vs. RHP and provides late-inning defense whenever he doesn't start.

Yep it's also why I prefer Sierra to Upton as OF5

I don't think they'll carry a 5th outfielder, and we'll only see Sierra/Thomas/Cabbage/Lund if someone is injured or one of Marsh/Adell look completely over-matched after a month or two.

Trout is the only truly "full-time" outfielder at this point. The other three will play as they perform, and I suspect it will be an ongoing process for at least a couple months into the year.

Furthermore, each has a unique edge that solidifies their place.

Ward has the highest floor - he's a known quantity and is a good bet to at least equal his 2021 performance.

Marsh is the best defender, and even if he can't hit has a place as a 4th outfielder and occasional starter.

Adell has the power potential so will get plenty of opportunities.

Again, there are numerous ways it can work out. Even assuming Trout is healthy all year and starts 140 games in CF/LF, that's 364 starts in the outfield, plus a few at DH to sprinkle among the other three - or 370+ total for the thee of them. It could be 123 x3 or 100/130/140 or any number of other variations. Its a good bet that all three will start between 80-140 games, though.

Edited by Angelsjunky

It's nice to have 3 good young players for those 2 spots. I also see Trout getting a day off once every 10 to 14 days. Maybe let him DH against a lefty give Ohtani a rest especially after pitching in night game with day game next day. Things will work themselves out. I think Ward has a solid year.

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

I feel like I'm missing something. Why is Mayfield making the roster? He's not good. Like, at all. Yet fans love him for no apparent reason aside form selective memories and informing the stat sheet. 

I don't recall anyone saying this offseason that they wanted him on the roster

4 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

So why Mayfield over Stefanic or even Rojas? Makes zero sense to me. 

Probably for defensive reasons. If Mayfield doesn't hit, he probably won't be on the active roster that long anyway and they'll move onto Stefanic or Rojas.

6 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

So why Mayfield over Stefanic or even Rojas? Makes zero sense to me. 

Rojas likely makes the team still. Stefanic would necessitate cutting someone from the 40-man, so you might lose a guy there. Preserves depth.

I honestly forget Mayfield is on the team half the time. I imagine he's relatively expendable if the MIF situation sorts it out, but he's a handy bench guy during the 28-man month at least.