• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 4/6)

Angelsjunky

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I hope he DOES go to AAA, keeping him up to play once or twice a week or be a defensive replacement serves no purpose.  I'd rather he continue to get regular at bats, improve on his bat to ball skills and come back a better more prepared player.  This isn't really any different than Adell last year.   

Marsh can still clean up his game some, there is no need to try to do that at the MLB level if they don't need to.  Plus a year of control is a year of control.

Have a feeling the Angels will break with Upton, Trout, Ward, Marsh, and Adell and cycle them through based on match-ups while roster is at 28. 

Unless Marsh or Adell are totally killing it - or Ward is absolutely abysmal defensively and offensively - it makes sense to send one of them down for regular playing time, at least for a little while. 

Barria could also be in a bit of jeopardy. He might need to make a mark these first few weeks or he could wind up on the bubble.

14 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I worry about Marsh and his strikeout rate and keep Rojas for lefty off bench. Marsh needs to play everyday and not sit in Angel dugout so send him to AAA.

Once again, Wade is the most likely candidate for lefty off the bench. 

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

I already have Wade on the ream. I'm saying Rojas would place Marsh on a 28 man roster in April. Especially if Marsh is on bench. 

I know you did. And replace Marsh? 

I think they'll carry one extra pitcher, for 15 with Ohtani. 

I think they'll carry 4 OF, Marsh being at AAA.

I think the extra infielder could be Rojas, but probably won't be. His defensive versatility pales next to Mayfield or Wade, and the team has enough lefties, in Walsh, Wade, and of course Ohtani.

Rojas will probably start at AAA at 1st or 3rd.

6 hours ago, Hubs said:

I know you did. And replace Marsh? 

I think they'll carry one extra pitcher, for 15 with Ohtani. 

I think they'll carry 4 OF, Marsh being at AAA.

I think the extra infielder could be Rojas, but probably won't be. His defensive versatility pales next to Mayfield or Wade, and the team has enough lefties, in Walsh, Wade, and of course Ohtani.

Rojas will probably start at AAA at 1st or 3rd.

Joe says he belongs on team

It’ll be pretty funny if this team suddenly becomes a 95-100+ win juggernaut for a couple years just because they spent on the bullpen. 

I’m talking like a real “oh that’s all it took?” kinda scenario.

That’s really the only thing tremendously different going into 2022 over any of the last several seasons.

Edited by totdprods

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It’ll be pretty funny if this team suddenly becomes a 95-100+ win juggernaut for a couple years just because they spent on the bullpen. 

I’m talking like a real “oh that’s all it took?” kinda scenario.

That’s really the only thing tremendously different going into 2022 over any of the last several seasons.

You add Thor plus have young pitchers Sandoval, Suarez and Detmers now. Plus Heaney gone. Bullpen on paper very strong and will make a big difference.

41 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

You add Thor plus have young pitchers Sandoval, Suarez and Detmers now. Plus Heaney gone. Bullpen on paper very strong and will make a big difference.

Plus a hopefully healthy super-trio of Trout, Ohtani and Rendon, plus Adell and Marsh being ready. Ish.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

It’s not dramatically different from rotations we have started the seasons with in recent seasons. Bunch of young arms who haven’t had a full successful season in the majors and a couple vets rebounding from injury. 

From a high-level, the only thing really markedly different is an expensive, high-priced bullpen for once.

I'm starting to wonder if both Adell and Marsh start the season in the minors.

Marsh seems to be behind Adell on the depth chart, and they've been resistant to say Adell's a major league player.

I could see them going with Upton/Rojas/Ward in the outfield corners with Adell and Marsh in AAA to start the season with Mayfield getting the last bench spot and Wade serving as the 5th outfielder.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Marsh seems to be behind Adell on the depth chart, and they've been resistant to say Adell's a major league player.

I could see them going with Upton/Rojas/Ward in the outfield corners with Adell and Marsh in AAA to start the season with Mayfield getting the last bench spot and Wade serving as the 5th outfielder.

Not with the way Adell is hitting this spring.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Not with the way Adell is hitting this spring.

From the OC Register "Maddon recently hinted that Adell might not be the top choice for one of the starting spots. Asked if Adell was ready to be an everyday player, Maddon said: “He’s getting there. I can’t tell you that yet. He’s young. He’s very inexperienced. Today we want to microwave stuff all the time. … I prefer that he just takes his time and understands the game completely.”

Combine that with Perry Minasian talking about how it's important to remember how young Jo Adell is, and I'm not fully convinced they're gonna roster him on opening day.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

It’s not dramatically different from rotations we have started the seasons with in recent seasons. Bunch of young arms who haven’t had a full successful season in the majors and a couple vets rebounding from injury. 

From a high-level, the only thing really markedly different is an expensive, high-priced bullpen for once.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Upton starts in LF for sure RF up for grabs. Ward deserves a shot and I also think Marsh for sure is in Salt Lake City to start season. Adell not sure, I have Rojas on 28 in April. It's a long season and nice halos will have options at AAA. This is going to be fun to see who is on roster to start season and I think a fun season for halos.

I am not sure how good an idea it would be to start Adell in AAA at this point. He was up to end the season and has hit well this Spring. This is the perfect opportunity to give him the job. A starting OF of Upton-Trout-Ward is a really bad idea. Most likely Upton and Ward cycle in Left, with both getting some ABs against lefties while playing 1B. I think Marsh will for sure start in AAA, which is exactly what he needs. Rojas isn't going to "develop" in AAA, so if they believe in his LH bat he should stay up to PH late in games for Fletcher/Wade/Suzuki. He has the pop that Wade doesn't. 

Blum's projection:

C (2): Stassi, Suzuki

IF (6): Fletcher, Duffy, Wade, Walsh, Rendon, Velazquez

OF (4): Trout, Upton, Ward, Adell

SP (6): Ohtani, Syndergaard, Sandoval, Suarez, Lorenzen, Detmers

RP (10): Iglesias, Bradley, Tepera, Quijada, Loup, Warren, Barria, Mayers, Wantz, Herget

6 hours ago, mmc said:

Blum's projection:

RP (10): Iglesias, Bradley, Tepera, Quijada, Loup, Warren, Barria, Mayers, Wantz, Herget

This is basically what I was thinking too, except I think one of Wantz or Herget start in AAA and we see a NRI or a late spring addition sneak in to the pen. 

It would not surprise me if someone like Mayfield or Velazquez (I think his speed and defense gives him an edge) was DFAed and the Angels grab someone like Johan Quezada or another relief arm  off waivers as spring cuts are made, or another arm is signed.

I also could see a late spring trade involving one or two of Barria, Rojas, Thaiss to clear up a 40-man spot or two since these guys might not have the clearest paths to MLB playing time this season, and the Angels landing a back-end SP or another young controllable potential high-lev reliever. Maybe someone like a Caleb Smith or Elieser Hernandez or Ross Stripling or Michael Fulmer.

The 40-man is honestly pretty tight - there’s some guys that can be DFAed, but those decisions are starting to get less clear to make because the names have some upside and options, folks like Criswell, Rojas, recently Tyler and Naughton. It probably is not ideal to go into the season with a 40-man that could bleed out talent due to DFAs, so a small trade that cleared out 2-3 names for one decent, youngish SP/RP with a season or two plus of control could be a good way to create a little flexibility.

Edited by totdprods

6 hours ago, mmc said:

Blum's projection:

I do not see need for 10 in BP to start season. 9 will be plenty.

While I think there's a better than even chance that Marsh starts in AAA, I highly doubt Adell joins him. He's paid his dues, logged a lot more games in AAA than Marsh (100 to 24), and Ward simply isn't good enough to block him. Plus, even if they want Ward in there two-thirds of the time to star the year, Upton won't play every game and Walsh may sit against lefties and Ohtani will have off days, so there will more at-bats at 1B and 3B.

Marsh will be back up sometime in the first half, hopefully.

So for the first 30 games or so, maybe the starts look something like this:

LF Upton 20, Adell 5, Ward 5

CF Trout 27, Ward 2

RF Adell 17, Ward 13

1B Walsh 25, Ward 5

DH Ohtani 26, Upton 3, Ward 2, Trout 1

That yields:

Trout 28

Ohtani 25 (plus pitching)

Walsh 25

Adell 24

Ward 23

Upton 23

Meaning, they could all start at least 77% of the games.

I'm saying this is how it will look, but just pointing out that there are plenty of starts to go around for five players in six positions.

Of course if Rojas or Marsh starts on the major league team, they'll steal starts away.

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

While I think there's a better than even chance that Marsh starts in AAA, I highly doubt Adell joins him. He's paid his dues, logged a lot more games in AAA than Marsh (100 to 24), and Ward simply isn't good enough to block him. Plus, even if they want Ward in there two-thirds of the time to star the year, Upton won't play every game and Walsh may sit against lefties and Ohtani will have off days, so there will more at-bats at 1B and 3B.

Marsh will be back up sometime in the first half, hopefully.

So for the first 30 games or so, maybe the starts look something like this:

LF Upton 20, Adell 5, Ward 5

CF Trout 27, Ward 2

RF Adell 17, Ward 13

1B Walsh 25, Ward 5

DH Ohtani 26, Upton 3, Ward 2, Trout 1

That yields:

Trout 28

Ohtani 25 (plus pitching)

Walsh 25

Adell 24

Ward 23

Upton 23

Meaning, they could all start at least 77% of the games.

I'm saying this is how it will look, but just pointing out that there are plenty of starts to go around for five players in six positions.

Of course if Rojas or Marsh starts on the major league team, they'll steal starts away.

The only quibble I have is that you can't always necessarily divide up games that way. Matchups will play a big factor. Struggles will play a factor. Getting Player X a certain number of reps plays a factor. Very minor, day-to-day injuries will play a factor.