• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 4/6)

Angelsjunky

53 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

So why Mayfield over Stefanic or even Rojas? Makes zero sense to me. 

I'm with you as far as rather seeing either of those two guys - especially Stefanic. As to the Angels reasoning, my guess is:

Stefanic: He'd have to be added to the 40-man, and whatever role he'd play would be very part-time, so they'd rather have him get regular playing time in AAA.

Rojas: Can't play SS, but probably a better bat. Rojas still might make the team, though.

And then there's Velazquez and Rengifo. I think the Rengifo reasons are similar to Stefanic: they'd rather have him playing full-time in AAA than part-time in the majors. Velazquez? Who knows, maybe it was a toss-up, and they're more familiar with Mayfield.

Edited by Angelsjunky

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm with you as far as rather seeing either of those two guys - especially Stefanic. As to the Angels reasoning, my guess is:

Stefanic: He'd have to be added to the 40-man, and whatever role he'd play would be very part-time, so they'd rather have him get regular playing time in AAA.

Rojas: Can't play SS, but probably a better bat. Rojas still might make the team, though.

And then there's Velazquez and Rengifo. I think the Rengifo reasons are similar to Stefanic: they'd rather have him playing full-time in AAA than part-time in the majors. Velazquez? Who knows, maybe it was a toss-up, and they're more familiar with Mayfield.

Jack makes the team because he is a Captain.

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

He is no longer a potential 5th in depth pool and I think he just moved to starter with Ward and Marsh alternating but then maybe they alternate all three. I just think Adell has a greater upside starting the season over Ward and Marsh and taking Upton out of left field permanently offers him that position to lose.

I was told specifically that Ward was ahead of Adell on the depth chart a couple weeks ago. 

Obviously it’s pretty close, and obviously Adell has more upside, but I would not assume that Adell will play significantly more than Ward at this moment. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I was told specifically that Ward was ahead of Adell on the depth chart a couple weeks ago. 

Obviously it’s pretty close, and obviously Adell has more upside, but I would not assume that Adell will play significantly more than Ward at this moment. 

Interesting.  Can you share any additional information regarding what Adell needs to work on to move up the depth chart?

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

Interesting.  Can you share any additional information regarding what Adell needs to work on to move up the depth chart?

He’s already worked on a lot of it (defense, plate discipline) and closed the gap. I think it’s more an indication that they really like Ward and also think he’s improved in all areas. 

Ward had about a .775 OPS last year. Adell was .700 and Marsh was .675. And that was a lot of ABs in the regular season.

They don’t throw away that gap because of 20 spring training ABs or the fact that the other guys have fancy tools and prospect rankings. 

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Defense. 

Part of having good pitching, which everyone agrees the Angels need, is having good defense. The Angels have plenty of offense. 

Here’s another way to look at it.

If you use Mayfield late in a game you’re winning. If you use Rojas/Stefanic, you’re losing. 

36 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I vote for 10. There are going to be a lot of games in the first 3 weeks where the starter is out by the fourth inning. 

Same here and Herget, Barraclough and Ortega all offer different looks, which can be interchanged depending on the opponent. Take advantage of that 28 man roster while you can to mix and match and take the stress off pitchers. 

Better that, than promoting someone deserving just to have them sit the bench. 

55 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I vote for 10. There are going to be a lot of games in the first 3 weeks where the starter is out by the fourth inning. 

I just cannot see how Rojas is not on this team. I start him at 2B. SLC not far away if you need another pitcher. Ohtani, Thor and Sandoval in 6 man rotation will get 6 to 7 inn. 

11 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I just cannot see how Rojas is not on this team. I start him at 2B. SLC not far away if you need another pitcher. Ohtani, Thor and Sandoval in 6 man rotation will get 6 to 7 inn. 

Not the first month they won't be going 6 or 7... And remember in less than a month, roster goes back to 26. Easier to send relievers down...

Also, how much does Rojas play? 1-2 games a week, so he's up for 6 games before being sent down? I suppose he could beat out Mayfield in the next month, but Duffy and Wade are here and above him in the MINF pecking order. Wade can also play the OF corners if needed.