• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Projected 28-Man Roster (Updated 4/6)

Angelsjunky

• Angelsjunky changed the title to Projected 26-Man Roster (Updated 11/23)
  • Angelsjunky changed the title to Projected 26-Man Roster (Updated 12/1)
On 11/16/2021 at 12:55 PM, Angelsjunky said:

As best I can tell, this is the current 26-Man Roster situation for Opening Day.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 2.53.17 AM.png

I'd move Davis up to Group A, Mayfield down to Group A, Ward up to Active Roster. I'd also swap Ortega and Selman, and maybe Tyler and Wantz.

Who plays 1st in this scenario if Thaiss is catching and Walsh has a day off? Wade?

Ward is gonna get 30-40 starts at 1st if Walsh continues to struggle against lefties, and he'll also get time in the OF.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

I'd move Davis up to Group A, Mayfield down to Group A, Ward up to Active Roster. I'd also swap Ortega and Selman, and maybe Tyler and Wantz.

Who plays 1st in this scenario if Thaiss is catching and Walsh has a day off? Wade?

Ward is gonna get 30-40 starts at 1st if Walsh continues to struggle against lefties, and he'll also get time in the OF.

I agree with:

- Moving Davis to Group A.

- Moving Mayfield down to Group A.

- Moving Ward up to the Active Roster.

- Swapping Ortega and Selman.

I wouldn't swap Tyler and Wantz though.

8 hours ago, Hubs said:

I didn't put Davis in group A because he's played only 31 games in AAA and his chances of starting the season on the big league club are very low. I see the difference between group A and B as really being whether or not there's a chance they could start on the big league roster. Group B are guys that they likely want to start the year in AAA.

I can guy your other suggestions, though, and I'll get rid of Selman next time I update it.

As for your question, I would think Taylor Ward would be the third string 1st baseman after Walsh and Thaiss. Or maybe Rojas makes the roster.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I didn't put Davis in group A because he's played only 31 games in AAA and his chances of starting the season on the big league club are very low. I see the difference between group A and B as really being whether or not there's a chance they could start on the big league roster. Group B are guys that they likely want to start the year in AAA.

I can guy your other suggestions, though, and I'll get rid of Selman next time I update it.

As for your question, I would think Taylor Ward would be the third string 1st baseman after Walsh and Thaiss. Or maybe Rojas makes the roster.

Imo, guys on the 40-man should be in Group A. Even if he doesn't have a ton of MLB experience, being on the 40-man means it's easier to call him up than others.

As we look at the team, as it stands until probably at least February...

Offense:  If healthy, this should be a very good offense.  A healthy Ohtani, Trout, and Rendon is a fantastic core.  Walsh is a very solid complementary player.  Marsh and Adell both have a lot of potential, and I think we have a good developmental team in place now that should help both improve upon their results.  Stassi is a solid catcher on the whole.  Fletcher had an off-year but can hopefully rebound a bit next year.  The key question mark is SS.  I'd look for them to add a middle infielder after the lockout.  I'd like for Rengifo to take another developmental leap forward, but I think in the end, he may just end up being more of a super utility player, which would be okay too.

Defense:  This should actually be pretty decent.  If Marsh is allowed to patrol CF, our OF defense should be good, with Trout shifting to either LF or RF and Marsh in CF.  Adell hasn't looked great out there, so we'll see how he fares.  On the infield, we have Rendon, who is elite defensively if healthy.  Fletcher is a stud too, and Walsh is very good.  SS is unknown for now, based on who ends up playing.  Stassi is known as a very good defensive catcher, too.

SP:  Obviously, this is the most controversial part of the team.  I am an optimist, but I still think the rotation is at least average, with a potential to be pretty good *IF* Syndergaard is healthy and returns to form.  If he does, then an Ohtani/Syndergaard 1-2 combination is one of the very best in the game, IMO.  The question lies in the rest of the rotation, but we did see Sandoval and Suarez both pitch well last year.  If they are healthy and can pitch 100+ innings each, they should be solid mid-rotation SP.  Lorenzen is a question mark, so we'll see what happens.  Barria, to me, is fine, but I'm thinking the FO will ultimately want a 6th starter who has options, so he may be traded or ultimately end up a reliever.  The rotation can stand to benefit from another addition for sure, but I don't feel they *NEED* a top of the rotation starter.  It'd be nice, but I would rather just hang onto our prospects.  We have nice depth, too, in Detmers and Canning, who we can refer to as SP7/SP8 in the depth chart hierarchy for now.

BP:  With Iglesias re-signed, I'd say we are in pretty good shape for the most part.  Iglesias mans the 9th, Loup and Mayers will occupy the 7th/8th in some order based on who is due up in the lineup, then Mayers/Quijada occupy the middle innings.  The other 3 can be more of a revolving door depending on performance, but we do have some interesting options in Herget, Wantz, Marte, Peguero, etc.

Good summation, @Warfarin

As far as SS is concerned, I was sold on Chris Taylor by @Dochalo, but now that he's gone I'm reverting to my earlier view that they've got enough options--between Rengifo, Mayfield, Davis, Stefanic, Wade and Velasquez--that they should at least get adequate coverage. Defense should be emphasized, as the team is better able to handle a weak spot in the lineup than sub-par defense at such a key position. That said, I could see them picking up a Jonathan Villar or even, I hate to say it, Andrelton Simmons, if only for his still strong defense. On the other hand, given his unceremonious departure, I don't expect that to happen.

I want Matt Thaiss to get a chance, but still think they could pick up a catcher. I was hoping for either Perez or Severino, but they're both off the table, and none of the other options look all that good so we're probably back to someone like Briceno , which also makes me think they'll give Thaiss a chance, with Wallach the next option. Thaiss is also useful to have on the roster because he has hitting potential that plays OK at 1B, to spell Walsh or in case of injury.

In an ideal world I'd rather see Ward in there instead of Upton, but I think Taylor is bound to be up-and-down again, but at least provides decent insurance in the case of injury or one of Adell or Marsh struggles. Trey Cabbage is a solid depth addition that joins Lund as an emergency option--he hit .262/.349/.533 in AA last year.

Like you, I'm OK with the rotation as-is. There's upside and depth, if still a lot of questions. That said, I'd love to see them sign Rodon to a short deal. The guy can pitch. But I really like the team's depth. After Canning and Detmers, I'd put Daniel as next in proximity and upside (I don't expect to see Bachman until late in 2022, and Bush until 2023). The rest of the group--Diaz, Tyler, Criswell, Junk, Naughton, etc--all figure as emergency starters, but one or two of them might emerge as solid #5 type starters.

I can't help but think that they could still use another veteran reliever. If they don't sign another starter--and now that they've missed out on Taylor--I'd even like to see them sign Kenley Jansen, if he'd be willing to abdicate his closer role. Ryan Tepera and Luis Garcia are other guys I'd be interested in.

So with the available options, I'd recommend the following, depending on Rodon:

1. Rodon. If they can get him on a short deal, say 2-3 years and backloaded a bit, grab him. Then pick up a few scraps, maybe a cheap catcher and reliever (if possible, one of Tepera or Garcia, but they might not have the money, depending upon Rodon's contract).

2. No Rodon. Bolster the bullpen, signing one of Jansen (best), Tepera (very good), Garcia (good), or even both Tepera and Garcia. Sign Jonathan Villar. Pretty much done, except for minor moves.

And please, please, please don't gut the farm or trade away Adell or Marsh for Castillo. I just think that, right now, the Angels need to hoard their young talent in a Stoneman-esque way. I know value requires value, but I really want to see what Adell, Marsh and Detmers can become. Castillo is very good, but he's a known quantity and while two years of club control are nice, that's just two years of a 3-4 WAR pitcher, which Detmers could become for more years. 

Edited by Angelsjunky