• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrew Heaney signs with the Dodgers (1 year, $8.5 million)

mmc

8 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I loved the trade when it happened. Thought we had a 2/3 SP cheap for several years. HK continued to play at a higher level than I expected too. Hopefully some of the Yankees prospects pan out. 

I didn’t “love” it but I definitely felt it was probably the correct move.  It seemed like Heaney could be a solid starter for many years.

Instead, he was annoyingly inconsistent and never really developed into what everyone hoped, and Howie had a little left in the tank.

Bummer.  Hindsight is 20/20.

17 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

He’s not a top end or mid rotation guy on a good team.  He’s fine to throw the ball at the back of a rotation.  

And he’ll be just that in the Dodger organization….

Back of the rotation guy I mean.

Most Dodger fringe additions do well enough for them. Even Albert gave them what they wanted from him. And for free!   They know how to use these low risk/high reward types in specific, restricted roles and not put them into unrealistic pressure situations. Heaney will probably get some spot starts and have the chance to have a bigger role if he is consistent. If not, nothing really lost.

They have good scouting, analytic understanding and know how to build depth on a roster. Heaney has proven that the potential was once there. If he is good enough to move up in the rotation they found themselves a bargain. And even as a spot starter/long reliever he may do enough to be useful. 

On a similar note, I saw that the Blue Jay's may be interested in kicking the tires on Bundy.

Anyone who once did something positive is always intriguing when they are bargain priced  free agents. The hope is there that it will reawaken in a new environment. 

Lots of chatter on mlb network radio this morning about Heaney.  Some are saying the Dodgers may have found the next Robbie Ray.  The fact that he's already signed gives them more time to work on correcting him (Ray also signed early with Toronto last year).  He's basically been a league average pitcher the last four years - except for two horrible months in NY.  Kevin Frandsen said Heaney was tipping his change up all year... and his change up was getting hammered. His fastball has been in the 90th percentile for spin rate...  Most are of the opinion that in most cases - the Dodgers can make pitchers better.

We'll see.

3 hours ago, True Grich said:

Lots of chatter on mlb network radio this morning about Heaney.  Some are saying the Dodgers may have found the next Robbie Ray.  The fact that he's already signed gives them more time to work on correcting him (Ray also signed early with Toronto last year).  He's basically been a league average pitcher the last four years - except for two horrible months in NY.  Kevin Frandsen said Heaney was tipping his change up all year... and his change up was getting hammered. His fastball has been in the 90th percentile for spin rate...  Most are of the opinion that in most cases - the Dodgers can make pitchers better.

We'll see.

He'll benefit from playing a lot of games in Dodger Stadium, San Fran, and San Diego regardless. I imagine it's gonna work out for them. 

Most concerning to me...if that many teams were in on him this early in the offseason, thinking they know how to fix him, it's a little troubling that it could be a problem that obvious to a third-plus of baseball to already be in on signing him this early.

Edited by totdprods

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He'll benefit from playing a lot of games in Dodger Stadium, San Fran, and San Diego regardless. I imagine it's gonna work out for them. 

Most concerning to me...if that many teams were in on him this early in the offseason, thinking they know how to fix him, it's a little troubling that it could be a problem that obvious to a third-plus of baseball to already be in on signing him this early.

Well, considering we haven't had a pitching coach for a year and still dont and our Organizational pitching philosophy is all over the place! 

I think it's a safe bet he is salvageable and serviceable as a back end of rotation starter and maybe even a #3 at most. Which is what he was here. 

They will teach him the Dodger slider and maybe work on another pitch. Having a Koufax, Honeycutt (who was basically a Andrew Haeney before he learned how to pitch stuff wise not stats wise) and current pitching coach Mark Prior to chat about pitching isn't a bad thing. 

Dodgers have done well with reclamation projects. I don't believe it will cease now.

20 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Well Dodgers gave Hamels 1 million to play catch and traded and paid Duffy around 5 million (not sure what Royals chipped in) to jog.

Whats crazy is that going in to the year, the entire baseball world was in awe of the dodgers SP staff (rightfully so). And you see what happened.

Those two moves were our type moves the past few years. Totally desperate, no depth.

3 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Well, considering we haven't had a pitching coach for a year and still dont and our Organizational pitching philosophy is all over the place! 

I think it's a safe bet he is salvageable and serviceable as a back end of rotation starter and maybe even a #3 at most. Which is what he was here. 

They will teach him the Dodger slider and maybe work on another pitch. Having a Koufax, Honeycutt (who was basically a Andrew Haeney before he learned how to pitch stuff wise not stats wise) and current pitching coach Mark Prior to chat about pitching isn't a bad thing. 

Dodgers have done well with reclamation projects. I don't believe it will cease now.

They made Matt Wise the permanent pitching coach when they fired Mickey Callaway in May.

23 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Yes.  He throws the ball every 5th game at the major league level.  He’s not a top end or mid rotation guy on a good team.  He’s fine to throw the ball at the back of a rotation.  

that's like saying pee is drinkable. the dodgers don't sign him expecting those results, because that doesn't get you to the world series. they think they can make him better.

if the dodgers fix heaney, then the angels are exactly where i think they are.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

that's like saying pee is drinkable. the dodgers don't sign him expecting those results, because that doesn't get you to the world series. they think they can make him better.

if the dodgers fix heaney, then the angels are exactly where i think they are.

Hey man.  They might fix him.  I very plainly said that was possible. 

20 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Hey man.  They might fix him.  I very plainly said that was possible. 

that wasn't my tone. i'm saying, that would be signs of how far the angels are behind the dodgers. ignoring all the other signs, of course.