• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

James Hoyt, Luke Bard and Franklin Barreto Outrighted

John Smith

20 hours ago, totdprods said:

I keep Herget for now, but hope he is pushed down the chart enough that he’s more of an up-and-down guy from AAA than penned in for a regular role. Warren is the only new guy reliever that I feel comfortable putting on the Opening Day roster. Quijada too since he’s out of options.

I hope/predict Barreto is re-signed to a minor league deal, or accepts the outright assignment. He can reject it and become a FA, but still could re-sign on a minor league deal. Having him healthy at AAA, adding maybe Davis and/or Stefanic should make it relatively easy to take Wong off the 40.

Warren, Quijada and Ortega are all likely pen arms right now.

I think they'll bring back Iglesias and Cishek.

Suarez will be in the pen if not the rotation.

An 8 man pen with a 6 man rotation, is 14 pitchers, and 12 position players, which makes the bench a bit light. You have Ohtani counted as a pitcher here, so you won't need a DH, so it's a four man bench, but really, with one reserve OF being Upton, then having Ward who can probably play 1st, 3rd, OF, and be the emergency C if needed, Thaiss as backup C, playing 1st, 3rd, and OF, gives you one spot for MINF backups Rengifo/Mayfield type. Is that a deep enough bench?

I really see them having five OF next year for the majority of the year. Because Adell and Marsh can both play CF, you don't really need a backup CF, Upton and Ward I think will be the backups.

I'm all in for Thaiss as backup C. 

27 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Warren, Quijada and Ortega are all likely pen arms right now.

I think they'll bring back Iglesias and Cishek.

I always think it's a good idea to stack the Opening Day roster with any well-performing ST invites or low-cost vets, even if there's a kid who has a higher ceiling or even had slightly better spring in the mix. 

Just because it's good for organizational depth. So if it means guys with options like Ortega, Wantz, Rodriguez, even Canning, start the year at AAA in spite of a solid (if they're spectacular it changes things) spring and a cheap vet was just alright makes the club ahead of them, so be it. Cut the vet a few weeks in and promote from within. Better to have a stable of promising AAA arms during April than have them all in the MLB club, because it's a long year and once guys start sucking or getting hurt, you'll need that depth.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I always think it's a good idea to stack the Opening Day roster with any well-performing ST invites or low-cost vets, even if there's a kid who has a higher ceiling or even had slightly better spring in the mix. 

Just because it's good for organizational depth. So if it means guys with options like Ortega, Wantz, Rodriguez, even Canning, start the year at AAA in spite of a solid (if they're spectacular it changes things) spring and a cheap vet was just alright makes the club ahead of them, so be it. Cut the vet a few weeks in and promote from within. Better to have a stable of promising AAA arms during April than have them all in the MLB club, because it's a long year and once guys start sucking or getting hurt, you'll need that depth.

Canning may be at AAA if only because Barria is out of options.