• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alcohol

I’m not sure really what there is to be done.  The penalties for DUI are already pretty punitive.  Especially repeat offenders.  Even more so if one god forbid actually hurts someone.  Alcohol is part of the culture.  Like in many places.  I mean is ratcheting up the punishments going to change consumption habits ? Genuinely I doubt that kind of thing would change anything.  People are aware of the consequences of fucking up with alcohol.  People do what they do.  

MT doesn’t want the thread to be political so I’m not going to go there.  But I’ll say that broadly people who are unhappy often abuse alcohol.  Of course not only unhappy people but that’s a typical thing.  This country has a shit ton of very unhappy people. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

28 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not sure really what there is to be done.  The penalties for DUI are already pretty punitive.  Especially repeat offenders.  Even more so if one god forbid actually hurts someone.  Alcohol is pat of the culture.  Like in many places.  I mean is ratcheting up the punishments going to change consumption habits ? Genuinely I doubt that kind of thing would change anything.  People are aware of the consequences of fucking up with alcohol.  People do what they do.  

MT doesn’t want the thread to her political so I’m not going to go there.  But I’ll say that broadly people who are unhappy often abuse alcohol.  Of course not only unhappy people but that’s a typical thing.  This country has a shit ton of very unhappy people. 

This. Broader societal issues are causing it. Same with the opioid crisis. Two classes of substances that allow you to detach from existence, rather than enhance it. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Me too. When I was young my parents drank on rare occasions. I never saw either of my parents inebriated until I was over 21 and had some drinks with them. They always taught me to be responsible with everything I do. Whether it was driving, drinking or hunting. I guess I’m fortunate to have parents like that 

I also rarely saw my parents drink when I was a kid.

I’m a different story, though. I turned 21 in Paris, and it was my first time away from home, so I’d routinely get hammered when going out with friends. Drinking entire bottles of wine in one sitting or taking 10 shots of tequila for the lulz. 

Can’t do that anymore, though. Ever since turning 30, I get the worst hangovers—and I’m tired of throwing up in front of clubs at HB. Getting drunk isn’t worth it—you end up looking like a fool and feel like shit—so moderation is definitely key.

47 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not sure really what there is to be done.  The penalties for DUI are already pretty punitive.  Especially repeat offenders.  Even more so if one god forbid actually hurts someone.  Alcohol is part of the culture.  Like in many places.  I mean is ratcheting up the punishments going to change consumption habits ? Genuinely I doubt that kind of thing would change anything.  People are aware of the consequences of fucking up with alcohol.  People do what they do.  

MT doesn’t want the thread to her political so I’m not going to go there.  But I’ll say that broadly people who are unhappy often abuse alcohol.  Of course not only unhappy people but that’s a typical thing.  This country has a shit ton of very unhappy people. 

Driving is a privilege and not a right. I’m not opposed to a license suspension for someone’s first DUI conviction 

15 minutes ago, failos said:

I also rarely saw my parents drink when I was a kid.

I’m a different story, though. I turned 21 in Paris, and it was my first time away from home, so I’d routinely get hammered when going out with friends. Drinking entire bottles of wine in one sitting or taking 10 shots of tequila for the lulz. 

Can’t do that anymore, though. Ever since turning 30, I get the worst hangovers—and I’m tired of throwing up in front of clubs at HB. Getting drunk isn’t worth it—you end up looking like a fool and feel like shit—so moderation is definitely key.

Yep. I haven’t been shit faced drunk since my honeymoon 23 years ago 

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Driving is a privilege and not a right. I’m not opposed to a license suspension for someone’s first DUI conviction 

Current laws in CA for a 1st DUI conviction are a 6 month license suspension.  I've got no issues with this but the issue again is people as some repeat offenders seem to have no problem driving on a suspended license.  The girl in the article I posted earlier who had a suspended license and two alcohol related driving incidents prior (one she left the scene and no one could identify her so it wasn't a DUI yet) it was initially reported she took her parents car.  Aside from putting interlock devices on every single car there's no way to prevent some of these idiots from getting behind wheel.

1 minute ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Current laws in CA for a 1st DUI conviction are a 6 month license suspension.  I've got no issues with this but the issue again is people as some repeat offenders seem to have no problem driving on a suspended license.  The girl in the article I posted earlier who had a suspended license and two alcohol related driving incidents prior (one she left the scene and no one could identify her so it wasn't a DUI yet) it was initially reported she took her parents car.  Aside from putting interlock devices on every single car there's no way to prevent some of these idiots from getting behind wheel.

The problem is that there are a lot of dumbass people out there so this will always be a problem. I don’t think there is a good solution 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

The problem is that there are a lot of dumbass people out there so this will always be a problem. I don’t think there is a good solution 

Agreed.  When 99% or whatever of the driving population can follow the rules you aren't going to be able to force them to have an interlock device and financially it doesn't make sense.  Like Tank said though to anyone who has lost someone to an impaired driver how big the problem is or how much it costs to fix it don't matter.

9 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

There needs to be stricter punishments, but I still think that won’t deter the clowns who keep DUI’ing

4 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Drunk driving is a small part this issue.  More concerning is the sexual assaults and partner abuse.  

Alcohol can bring out evil side of people. Some people should avoid alcohol completely. The problem is that it can be very addicting and once that happens it’s too late. Breaking that is very difficult 

MT asked the right question then also answered it and what I was going to say. Alcohol obviously has adverse effects on health, mental health, decision making, cognitive skills, etc......like cigarettes its a known pollutant to the body we decide to pursue because it's fun. I find the marketing and how in your face alcohol is everywhere to be over the top. It feels like it's every damn commercial or sponsors every single sporting event, etc. If anyone has taken any kind of marketing courses and how/why it works psychologically it's pretty profound and interesting.

I was thinking about this question and my answer and how it can relate as alcohol is like guns, any asshole can get one. Why is it someone can get a gun and have no desire to go shoot anyone, but have the same freedom to purchase booze but do something harmful? We've talked about it in other threads and I think was mentioned above, but there really needs to be a focus and emphasis on mental health. The problem is that word is associated with SJW's needing three weeks off from work because they were triggered by a joke email. When really changing my diet and not drinking changed everything for me mentally that should be promoted for mental health....clarity, cognitive function, focus, lack of inhibitors affecting positive brain functions, etc. That type of mental health needs to be the focus and talked about. It literally feels good to feel good. Problem solving, adversity, challenges, risk are all dealt with better when a person has better mental health. Unfortunately, when things get tough booze is the easiest coping mechanism which makes situations worse.

As for DUI's, I have a very unpopular opinion here regarding them. I know a lot of dumb situations and stories regarding them that has me question the system opposed to the simpleton answer of lock them up for life. I know someone with three DUI's and while seeing some of the posts here, this person should be locked up for life. Yet, if you look at the DUI's one of them was medication prescribed by their doctor and their most recent one was them doing the right thing and not driving, but sleeping in their car...but hey they had alcohol in their system and were inside a car, so that gets the same punishment as someone driving behind the wheel. So I'm not on board with DUI punishments. To the courts, on paper, and to society he has three DUI's. Does that deserve the death penalty or fall under the parameters of some of the multiple offender opinions here?

15 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

One thing that extremely disturbing to me is how alcohol is marketed to youth.  Pretty much every ad out there is really messaging to youth.

What do you consider youth? As I approach 50 years of age 21 and 22 year olds seem pretty young to me. If they are targeting younger then that is a big concern. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

MT asked the right question then also answered it and what I was going to say. Alcohol obviously has adverse effects on health, mental health, decision making, cognitive skills, etc......like cigarettes its a known pollutant to the body we decide to pursue because it's fun. I find the marketing and how in your face alcohol is everywhere to be over the top. It feels like it's every damn commercial or sponsors every single sporting event, etc. If anyone has taken any kind of marketing courses and how/why it works psychologically it's pretty profound and interesting.

I was thinking about this question and my answer and how it can relate as alcohol is like guns, any asshole can get one. Why is it someone can get a gun and have no desire to go shoot anyone, but have the same freedom to purchase booze but do something harmful? We've talked about it in other threads and I think was mentioned above, but there really needs to be a focus and emphasis on mental health. The problem is that word is associated with SJW's needing three weeks off from work because they were triggered by a joke email. When really changing my diet and not drinking changed everything for me mentally that should be promoted for mental health....clarity, cognitive function, focus, lack of inhibitors affecting positive brain functions, etc. That type of mental health needs to be the focus and talked about. It literally feels good to feel good. Problem solving, adversity, challenges, risk are all dealt with better when a person has better mental health. Unfortunately, when things get tough booze is the easiest coping mechanism which makes situations worse.

Agree

Well put

12 minutes ago, Don said:

Just something to add here that I think about sometimes… how many lives and legal troubles have Uber/Lyft, etc… saved? Seems like quite a lot probably. One of the better things our society has created in recent years IMO.

Uber and Lyft have pretty much eliminated the need for anyone to drink and drive. Drinking and driving is the epitome of irresponsibility 

On 10/23/2021 at 11:58 PM, arch stanton said:

So this begs the question, why do bars have full parking lots every night? Who pays to keep the cops away?

Admittedly I used to do the drive to the bar at night, Uber home, then return via Uber to pick up the car the next day. Helps avoid hitting the potential surge prices twice.

9 minutes ago, Don said:

Admittedly I used to do the drive to the bar at night, Uber home, then return via Uber to pick up the car the next day. Helps avoid hitting the potential surge prices twice.

I had a group of friends in my military days and we chose the DD by the tire game. When we arrived, if the tire closest to your seat was nearest to 12 o'clock you got DD duty