• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alcohol

I am putting this thread here because I am hoping this subject doesn’t get politicized.

Many of these stats come from the CDC:

There are 95,000 deaths per year due to alcohol, that is 261 deaths per day and 2.8 million years of potential life lost.

Per year, the US loses 250 billion dollars due to alcohol.

In 2020:

10,142 deaths due to drinking and driving 

5,000 death of youth under the age of 21 died do to alcohol

50% of all sexual assaults involved alcohol 

63% of all intimate partner assaults involved alcohol 

45% of physical assaults overall involved alcohol 

40% of murders involved alcohol 

So my question is what to do about this.  I am hoping that this can stay on point and not involve any other subjects or non sequiturs.

What can you do about it?  Alcohol makes some people more outgoing, lower people's inhibitions, make some people think they're tough and the list goes on but the problem isn't alcohol it's people.  Our country seems to be going the other direction as far as holding people responsible and dropping the hammer when they act like idiots so I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope as far as the statistics posted changing too much for the better. 

6 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

What can you do about it?  Alcohol makes some people more outgoing, lower people's inhibitions, make some people think they're tough and the list goes on but the problem isn't alcohol it's people.  Our country seems to be going the other direction as far as holding people responsible and dropping the hammer when they act like idiots so I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope as far as the statistics posted changing too much for the better. 

Fair enough, but in your perfect world what would you do?

46 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I am putting this thread here because I am hoping this subject doesn’t get politicized.

Many of these stats come from the CDC:

There are 95,000 deaths per year due to alcohol, that is 261 deaths per day and 2.8 million years of potential life lost.

Per year, the US loses 250 billion dollars due to alcohol.

In 2020:

10,142 deaths due to drinking and driving 

5,000 death of youth under the age of 21 died do to alcohol

50% of all sexual assaults involved alcohol 

63% of all intimate partner assaults involved alcohol 

45% of physical assaults overall involved alcohol 

40% of murders involved alcohol 

So my question is what to do about this.  I am hoping that this can stay on point and not involve any other subjects or non sequiturs.

Does Montana still allow you to drive with an open container? 

17 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Fair enough, but in your perfect world what would you do?

Lost in those numbers is the perspective of how little of any of that occurs as compared to total alcohol consumption.  With 331m adults in this country, if they consumed alcohol twice a week on average, thats almost 35 billion drinking days.  Compare that to the total number of these types of incidents and I think it will be miniscule.  

Whenever someone brings up national or local problems of some sort or the other I tend to ask, "what would be more effective, making new laws or more vigorously enforcing the laws already in place?".  Most times the clear answer is the latter.

In my perfect world I'd stop letting people act like assholes with little or no repercussions.  Everyone regardless of race or how much money they have should be held to the same standard when they commit a crime.  I've mentioned it multiple times over the years but in my younger days I was an idiot and got a DUI.  Thankfully I didn't hurt anyone and it's a mistake I never made again but they told us in alcohol school that ~1/3 of people who get one DUI will get at least one more.  Far too often I see stories about DUI accidents where some innocent person get killed and the person responsible already has at least one DUI under their belt and is driving on a suspended license.  Less then a year ago we had this doozy that left 3 kids without their parents:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/12/22/prosecutors-woman-charged-in-newport-beach-dui-crash-killed-parents-driven-from-brewery-got-back-behind-wheel/

The chick apparently had been driven home from a brewery but decided she wasn't done for the night and got in I believe her parents car while she had multiple DUI incidents prior to that.  People like her should spend the rest of their lives in prison.   

5 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Lost in those numbers is the perspective of how little of any of that occurs as compared to total alcohol consumption.  With 331m adults in this country, if they consumed alcohol twice a week on average, thats almost 35 billion drinking days.  Compare that to the total number of these types of incidents and I think it will be miniscule.  

Whenever someone brings up national or local problems of some sort or the other I tend to ask, "what would be more effective, making new laws or more vigorously enforcing the laws already in place?".  Most times the clear answer is the latter.

I really wasn’t proposing anything.  I would argue that comparing the cost and total alcohol consumption doesn’t change the numbers above.  It just mean this country drinks a butt-load of booze 

Edited by mtangelsfan

Meh. Same as guns or the obese epidemic in this country that takes more lives than booze. The thing is no one wants to do anything about it so the original question is kind of moot. There is too much money to be made by all involved from the brewers to the courts to the third party companies to the state.

I don’t find a lot of good has come in my life with alcohol. From decisions to health/fitness and the main one probably being mental health. It’ll be one year without a drop of alcohol on November 11th……weird to say the actual date like an alcoholic. Ironically, I do find humor when the alcohol thread gets bumped as I was the one that started it however many years ago.

3 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

In my perfect world I'd stop letting people act like assholes with little or no repercussions.  Everyone regardless of race or how much money they have should be held to the same standard when they commit a crime.  I've mentioned it multiple times over the years but in my younger days I was an idiot and got a DUI.  Thankfully I didn't hurt anyone and it's a mistake I never made again but they told us in alcohol school that ~1/3 of people who get one DUI will get at least one more.  Far too often I see stories about DUI accidents where some innocent person get killed and the person responsible already has at least one DUI under their belt and is driving on a suspended license.  Less then a year ago we had this doozy that left 3 kids without their parents:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/12/22/prosecutors-woman-charged-in-newport-beach-dui-crash-killed-parents-driven-from-brewery-got-back-behind-wheel/

The chick apparently had been driven home from a brewery but decided she wasn't done for the night and got in I believe her parents car while she had multiple DUI incidents prior to that.  People like her should spend the rest of their lives in prison.   

Im working day shift right now, but recently worked a few overtime shifts on graveyard. Had three people in one night who had those alcohol ignition devices on their cars, that we hooked for DUI. All were under 25. That kind of blew me away 

what you all need is something that gives you the enjoyment of alcohol without any of the downside. until that happens, these statistics aren't likely to change (and may even get worse).

it really upsets me when i hear about someone who has been arrested x number of times for DUI but hasn't served any meaningful time in jail for it. as a society, our punishment for this is completely inadequate.

4 hours ago, Junkballer said:

you wouldn't care one iota about these stats of yours if someone who was impaired got behind the wheel and killed someone you cared about. and neither would anyone else.

it doesn't matter how "miniscule" the number is - it'll always be too many.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

it doesn't matter how "miniscule" the number is - it'll always be too many.

While that is true philosophically, when it comes to doing something about it, we as Americans have to factor in how much we value liberty and the consequences of allowing government to curtail liberty for all when it is the few that is irresponsible.  I'm talking about giving government more intrusive authority, not sensible proactive educational promotion. 

I have a child and grandchildren and I pray for their safety daily, but they are ultimately in God's hands.  Maybe in the throes of grief I would seek to alleviate my pain by seeking to curtail the liberty of all, including the responsible, but hopefully I would hold on to my faith that God restores all things and continue to value liberty.

Alcohol is one of those things in society that's accepted and even encouraged but does anyone get any kind of real education about it? I've been lucky that my alcohol related incidents haven't been worst case, public disasters but they could have been. So I taught myself to use alcohol in a certain way. I've adopted the philosophy that when you've had a few and things are going rgreat and the party is rocking then that's the time to stop. It can only go downhill from there and usually pretty quickly.

But if everyone has to learn how to deal with the effects of this on their own, with little guidance then the results are doomed from the start. So, who in this society is equipped and willing to encourage those who are "learning how to drink" to do it in a way that doesn't lead to all the worst case examples and destroy they lives as well as others? Are religious entities willing to do this? Insurers? Employers? Colleges? 

7 hours ago, failos said:

I enjoy drinking in moderation.

Me too. When I was young my parents drank on rare occasions. I never saw either of my parents inebriated until I was over 21 and had some drinks with them. They always taught me to be responsible with everything I do. Whether it was driving, drinking or hunting. I guess I’m fortunate to have parents like that 

Edited by Jason