• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rank your order of preference for these free agent starting pitchers for the Angels

BTH

On 10/19/2021 at 12:19 PM, Stradling said:

I disagree.  I think we underestimate players egos.  There will be players that look at the Angels and think they can be the piece or one of the pieces that get this team over the hump.  I don’t think a guy signing a 5 year deal will simply say, “nope, they don’t go to the playoffs so I won’t sign there”.  Ohtani didn’t do that.  

Plus they would get to play on a team that has legit players like Rendon, Trout and Ohtani so winning isn't out of the realm of possibility. We bitch about these things because, as fans, we are sick of losing but I do think there is still some appeal to playing for the Halos. It is possible there are front office issues that may bother some FAs but nobody really knows that for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Maybe so but he'll have to give a hometown discount to stay with the dogs.  He'll get better offers elsewhere.

He is more valuable to the Dodgers than to any other team.  Other teams will make offers and the Dodgers will gladly pay up to keep him in Dodger blue.

I certainly don’t want Kershaw on the Angels at any price.  He is a true, pure Dodger. 

40 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

He is more valuable to the Dodgers than to any other team.  Other teams will make offers and the Dodgers will gladly pay up to keep him in Dodger blue.

I certainly don’t want Kershaw on the Angels at any price.  He is a true, pure Dodger. 

I'm not advocating Kershaw to Angels either.  I'm just trying to think about what Friedman will do this off-season and where Kershaw fits in.  I'm not fully sold that the Dodgers ownership is willing to live in the luxury tax in consecutive or multiple years. Not even the Dodgers can go all in each and every year. 

Assuming the tax threshold remains as is (who knows with the new CBA though), they have an opportunity to reset their basis to year 0.   I can see them looking at 2023 as the next "all in" year, where Price comes off the books, the Bauer situation is stabilized, DeGrom is available in free agency and they've had another year to replenish a somewhat depleted farm system. 

They still have Buehler, Urias, Price, Bauer (?), May and Gonsolin for the rotation in 2022 and all of them save Price are set for 2023.  Does Friedman see a  highly paid 35 y.o. Kershaw as an asset for their 2023 run or is that 20+ mil better spent elsewhere; and how much does placating fans enter into the decision?  Friedman doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.  I know they'll offer him but whether that offer is a dare to move on is the question.

14 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

I'm not advocating Kershaw to Angels either.  I'm just trying to think about what Friedman will do this off-season and where Kershaw fits in.  I'm not fully sold that the Dodgers ownership is willing to live in the luxury tax in consecutive or multiple years. Not even the Dodgers can go all in each and every year. 

Assuming the tax threshold remains as is (who knows with the new CBA though), they have an opportunity to reset their basis to year 0.   I can see them looking at 2023 as the next "all in" year, where Price comes off the books, the Bauer situation is stabilized, DeGrom is available in free agency and they've had another year to replenish a somewhat depleted farm system. 

They still have Buehler, Urias, Price, Bauer (?), May and Gonsolin for the rotation in 2022 and all of them save Price are set for 2023.  Does Friedman see a  highly paid 35 y.o. Kershaw as an asset for their 2023 run or is that 20+ mil better spent elsewhere; and how much does placating fans enter into the decision?  Friedman doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.  I know they'll offer him but whether that offer is a dare to move on is the question.

This is also why I don't see them resigning Scherzer. 

Fans will riot if they pick Bauer and Scherzer over Kershaw.

Scherzer is going to get around 3 years 105. Kershaw won't command that coming off an injury. But I could see 2/50 or 2/56. Bauer's contract isn't gonna disappear, so they are stuck there until 2023. I think they can buy him out after that.

People think Bauer is done playing baseball, but unless criminal charges are filed, he'll go through sensitivity training and will be back in ST for the Dogs. They also have their #5 prospect knocking at the door in Ryan Pepiot and Mitch White who has already been up and had success. 

They have $189,824,700 in contracts, before they sign a free agent or pay a guy who's under club control. That's with buying out Joe Kelly, which may or may not happen. They'll have at least 10 club control guys at 600k.

Bauer, Trevor $35,333,333

Price, David $32,000,000 $16,000,000

Betts, Mookie $22,916,667

Turner, Justin $20,000,000

Turner, Trea $19,500,000 -- ARBITRATION

Bellinger, Cody $17,000,000 -- ARBITRATION

Muncy, Max $13,000,000

Pollock, A.J. $13,000,000

Kelly, Joe $12,000,000  or  $4,000,000 buyout

Urías, Julio $8,250,000

Treinen, Blake $8,000,000

Buehler, Walker $4,250,000

Kahnle, Tommy $3,725,000

Barnes, Austin $2,650,000

Alexander, Scott $1,400,000 -- ARBITRATION

Ferguson, Caleb $800,000 -- ARBITRATION

Besides Dodgers,  a team would need to pay top dollar for the diminished years of Kershaw. I could see Angels, rangers,  mets,  and a ton of other teams that would.  If teams start bidding of course Kershaw doesn't want to leave 50 million on the table.  

Edited by Erstad Grit

I think the Dodgers re-sign both Kershaw and Scherzer.

Their current 2022 payroll is at ~$194M, but that includes Bauer's $35M. I doubt Bauer gets paid his full salary in '22, because I think he'll be suspended for at least like 80 games at a minimum. I think the most likely outcome is he is suspended for the entire season and the Dodgers don't have to pay any of the $35M in '22.

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

Their current 2022 payroll is at ~$194M, but that includes Bauer's $35M. I doubt Bauer gets paid his full salary in '22, because I think he'll be suspended for at least like 80 games at a minimum. I think the most likely outcome is he is suspended for the entire season and the Dodgers don't have to pay any of the $35M in '22.

But does his salary still count against the payroll tax? I think it might. 

17 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think Bauer gets $45 million this year.  I thought it was $40, $45, $17 with an opt out. 

On 10/26/2021 at 7:26 AM, Jason said:

I honestly don't see Kershaw ever pitching for a team other than the Dodgers in his career 

On 10/26/2021 at 8:11 AM, Jason said:

I think he does. We'll see though 

I assume the same. Hes beyond rich, and aside from loved there, theyve never turned on him after his playoff chokes.

Who knows. Maybe he wants to go home to Texas. But I doubt it.

On 10/26/2021 at 1:46 PM, Trendon said:

Why would he be suspended? And Im not trying to argue with you, but what grounds are they going to have to do that to him?

If hes charged I could see it, but it doesnt sound like he will be.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:00 AM, Dtwncbad said:

Interesting presser with Friedman yesterday.  Besides essentially disavowing involvement with in-game pitching decisions and the whole Urias overuse issue, saying those were questions better proposed to Roberts and the pitching coach, he sounded non-committal towards re=signing Kershaw.  No doubt there is some posturing there to let Kershaw know they aren't going to offer far above what they view as his value, and that he will have to make his own decision as to whether more money/term is worth it to him to leave the org.  Tried to find the whole interview but only found this snippet of his comments on Kershaw.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVi__i3B49 (click the right arrow on the first image to get to the next image which contains the Friedman blurb)

On 10/16/2021 at 1:18 PM, Trendon said:

Rank your order of preference for these free agent starting pitchers for the Angels (listed in alphabetical order):

Kevin Gausman - Plays for a team that won 106 games. That would be hard to leave. Would love to have him.

Clayton Kershaw - Wouldn't leave the Dodgers for the Angels, plus injury problems.

Robbie Ray - Seems like a decent option. Being a lefty is a plus.

Carlos Rodón - Good statistically, but pitches for a division winner. From the east coast, not sure he would want to go west.

Eduardo Rodriguez - Also pitches for a playoff team. ERA is kind of high, but that may partly be due to Fenway. Don't know his home/road splits.

Max Scherzer - Won't sign with a non-contender, and one pitcher won't make us a contender. We couldn't afford anyone else with the money that he would command. Likely to not be worth it by the end of a multi-year deal. May have blown his arm out in the playoffs.

Marcus Stroman - Probably the most realistic, and could make a big difference.

Noah Syndergaard - Great when he is on, but ERA has risen every year since 2016. Coming off a lost season, remains to be seen what he has left.

Justin Verlander - Will Kate Upton be in the stands while he spends the season on the IL? At his age, might take a flyer on a one-year contract, but that would be it.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

On 10/26/2021 at 9:31 PM, Stradling said:

One of the best posts in the history of this board. 

you know how sometimes you watch a good movie and think damn.  That was such an obvious idea.  Then you realize that even if you'd thought of it you still wouldn't have executed even close to as well.  That post was the Godfather.  

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

you know how sometimes you watch a good movie and think damn.  That was such an obvious idea.  Then you realize that even if you'd thought of it you still wouldn't have executed even close to as well.  That post was the Godfather.  

And Godfather 2. 

I’m over here posting like Sofia Coppola in G3, “Daddy?”