• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rank your order of preference for these free agent starting pitchers for the Angels

BTH

I didn't realize that Gray was out toward the end of the year for a bit with forearm issues.  And he's likely to get a qualifying offer.  It seems like he's past the injury but he wasn't very good at all when he came back.  

I just don't know.   I just get the sense that the top of the class contains a lot of fools gold.  I think Stroman, Ray and Gausman are all going to get at least Zack Wheeler type deals and none of them are as good imo.  

What about Tomoyuki Sugano?  He didn't sign last year, but I think he only returned to Japan on a one year deal.  I have no idea if he's any good or if he's going to try and make the leap to MLB.

Any other Japanese pitchers of note? 

13 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

It might come down to which guys are given the QO and which want that last big payday. Payday guys that don't care where they go are the only ones the Angels have a shot at getting. Arte can throw money at them. Guys that want to actually win and go to the playoffs will be tough to get.

25 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

It might come down to which guys are given the QO and which want that last big payday. Payday guys that don't care where they go are the only ones the Angels have a shot at getting. Arte can throw money at them. Guys that want to actually win and go to the playoffs will be tough to get.

I disagree.  I think we underestimate players egos.  There will be players that look at the Angels and think they can be the piece or one of the pieces that get this team over the hump.  I don’t think a guy signing a 5 year deal will simply say, “nope, they don’t go to the playoffs so I won’t sign there”.  Ohtani didn’t do that.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I disagree.  I think we underestimate players egos.  There will be players that look at the Angels and think they can be the piece or one of the pieces that get this team over the hump.  I don’t think a guy signing a 5 year deal will simply say, “nope, they don’t go to the playoffs so I won’t sign there”.  Ohtani didn’t do that.  

I agree with Stradling.

Stroman, Scherzer, Ray, Gausman, etc. may want to play with the two best players in the AL. The more I think about this, its gonna be one of those guys at 25-35M, one guy at 10-18M (Cobb, Cueto, Gray, Etc.) and one flyer guy who can also be used out of pen, like Lorenzen, Richards. (1-2?)

That's around $37-55M for starting pitching, so maybe they don't have that kind of budget depending on who they get. They also have to resign Iglesias, get at least one pen arm like Graveman or Hand, and a backup catcher, plus address SS.

I think they're gonna spend big, but some disagree. 

22 hours ago, Hubs said:

I agree with Stradling.

Stroman, Scherzer, Ray, Gausman, etc. may want to play with the two best players in the AL. The more I think about this, its gonna be one of those guys at 25-35M, one guy at 10-18M (Cobb, Cueto, Gray, Etc.) and one flyer guy who can also be used out of pen, like Lorenzen, Richards. (1-2?)

That's around $37-55M for starting pitching, so maybe they don't have that kind of budget depending on who they get. They also have to resign Iglesias, get at least one pen arm like Graveman or Hand, and a backup catcher, plus address SS.

I think they're gonna spend big, but some disagree. 

Don't forget traaaaaades. It's a good way to get around spending so much. They can't do a lot, but they have the pieces to address one or two of those needs. 

The Athletics are probably going to trade a big name or two this winter, and swapping the cheaper salary/control of someone like Suarez or Canning for Sean Manaea could make some sense depending on who all is involved and other moves made.

Edited by totdprods

If Scherzer care about the money he'll take the longest deal ie a team willing to add that third year.  I don't think the dogs will do that but someone else might.  Then it comes down to AAV.  Gonna be tough to outbid the dogs in that regard.  Might take 2/70 or even 80 with the way the market has been going.  

And if Arte is willing to go over budget, to me that means he'll do it by a few mil to get a guy.  Not that we'll reach the budget and then go over by the amount the next guy costs.  So if we're at the budget and Scherzer is still out there then we're not going over by 30m.  If we're 20m below and Scherzer is out there then he might consider it.  That's the way I see it.  

18 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Stroman

Scherzer

Syndergaard

Ray

Rodon

Gausman

Would you rather have Stroman or Scherzer AND one or two bargain guys like Richards, Lorenzen, Heaney, Bundy, Velasquez, etc. Or two to three guys in the solid but not spectacular bin, like say Cobb, Wood and Gray?

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

They will have trouble voiding it without Criminal Charges against Bauer. 

Yeah, Im not sure how they can actually get out of it? Its like a josh hamilton situation. They can choose to not play him, but are still stuck. He didnt do anything (I dont think) that would meet criteria for them to get out of it.

44 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I agree with you, unless Kate Upton wants to be closer to Hollywood...

I don't think Kate Upton needs to be closer to Hollywood at this point in her career. She's established, beyond wealthy, can work anywhere...I mean, it's a possibility, sure, but I don't think it would factor much into his decision on a one/two year deal. I think the Dodgers would be likelier than the Halos, to be honest, especially if Scherzer does not re-sign.

She's from Michigan and they have a young daughter, so being home back in Detroit - where Verlander can anchor and mentor a young staff and bring his career full-circle - seems like it would be just as appealing for them both.

Edited by totdprods

Scherzer though expensive. Our best chances I think are (2 of these 4) Stroman, Thor, Cobb, Jon Gray (Been banging this drum since last year) in order...

We could have signed Carlos Rodon last winter when the White Sox Non-tendered him... He re-signed with the Chi Sox for 3M.

So, it just clicked? Or, was it our former Minor League pitching Coach Ethan Katz?.... 

And whoever, said "In a previous thread" to bring back Doug White needs to be slapped!

We need a pitching coach #1 that understands and knows the mechanics of pitching, the mental side of the game (for the kids) and how to effectively communicate! And not try to fit every square peg into a round hole!

Also, our physical training staff and medical staff (I believe this is the issue with the arm injuries, lats, obliques, and hammy issues with our infielders *over-shift* and hitters) need some new blood. Build the lower body, more core, less over throwing elbow stress injuries!