Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

It's the General Managers job to build a winner....


Recommended Posts

Dipoto

 

Joe Blanton

Jason Vargas

C J Wilson

Billy Buckner

Sean Burnett

Ryan Madson

Dane De La Rosa

Robert Coello

Barry Enright

Ernesto Frieri

Tommy Hanson

Michael Roth

Chris Iannetta

Chris Nelson

Albert Pujols

Josh Hamilton

Brad Hawpe

J B Shuck

 

Reagins

 

Scott Downs

Kevin Jepson

Michael Kohn

Garrett Richards

Jered Weaver

Jerome Williams

Ryan Brasier

David Carpenter

Nick Maronde

Hank Conger

Erick Aybar

Alberto Callaspo

Howie Kendrick

Andrew Romine

Mark Trumbo

Peter Bourjos

Mike Trout

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JD inherited a mess.  With Arte's influence, they tried to do a patch to bridge the gap until the farm system could be rebuilt.  He's had one offseason to address a pitching staff he was essentially handed that fell apart last year. 

 

I love the inconsistency of AW

 

LOSING SUCKS!!  WHY AREN'T WE WINNING!!

WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN REBUILDING!!

 

Wait.  What?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Scioscia voice in player personnel matters was greatly curtailed after the Napoli/Wells catastrophe.

Tony Reagins was a patsy. He was in over his head as a GM to begin with while being undermined at the same time. Dipoto was given full authority and beyond belief funding. He's already maxed out Arte's credit card and the jury is still out on his credibility as a stealth GM. No doubt change was needed but Dipoto has made some real head scratching decisions. The problems started by Reagins are now being duplicated by Dipoto. There's no real way to predict how players will play once they put on an Angels uniform. Reagins was not a great GM but I don't get the genius tag on Dipoto. Yet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JD inherited a mess.  With Arte's influence, they tried to do a patch to bridge the gap until the farm system could be rebuilt.  He's had one offseason to address a pitching staff he was essentially handed that fell apart last year. 

 

This cannot be understated. Dipoto followed a catastrophic regime, and by all accounts he also had an owner who was intent on signing a couple of players (Pujols and Hamilton) no matter what it took. He has had to work within that framework. The damage was done before he got here, and one season and part of a second is not enough time to turn it around. I grant you that there have been some ill-advised signings (Blanton in particular stands out), but the free agent market for pitching has been very thin except at the very high end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long does a slump go on for, though? Hackilton has slumped for essentially all 2.5 months.

Okay, I can see Pujols signing because of the new tv deal. But why does a team give FIVE years to someone not offered more than 3 years by anyone else? Do they not understand how past drug use eventually catches up to a person's body post-PEDs?

Arte needs to learn some baseball sense to go with the business sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry Hamiltown, but your assessment of Dipoto is BS. Everyone, including baseball writers, picked the Angels to at least make the playoffs. This is because Dipoto did build a winner based on the talent. The pieces are there but are being mismanaged and/or slumping.

But we were picked to make the playoffs in 2010-2011-2012 also so what has changed? We are in a deeper hole than any of the Reagins years. Finacially, on the field and in the standings. My point is that Dipoto's magic wand is not working like it was touted to work. He was called the stealth JeDi genius. Hamilton, Blanton, Madson, Burnett, Hanson and Lowe? Really? Why is it now that the players get the blame (rightly so) while Dipoto is the GM while Reagins got torched for the same situation. They both made bad decisions.

My theory; Iannetta gets excused for his poor play because everyone hated Mathis. Dipoto gets excused for his poor decision making because everyone hated Reagins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long does a slump go on for, though? Hackilton has slumped for essentially all 2.5 months.

Okay, I can see Pujols signing because of the new tv deal. But why does a team give FIVE years to someone not offered more than 3 years by anyone else? Do they not understand how past drug use eventually catches up to a person's body post-PEDs?

Arte needs to learn some baseball sense to go with the business sense.

On the contract the Rangers offered Hamilton:

I’m not going to say what we offered. Nobody’s speculated or reported accurately on what we had offered. It was kind of a unique concept, but the idea that we wouldn’t go more than three years or that we wouldn’t do any of those things, those were all reports that weren’t necessarily based on the truth.

That's from the lips of Jon Daniels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's the general managers job to bring winning pieces, but it's the coach's job to use those pieces to work on the field. If I give my kid a good lego kit but he doesn't follow the instructions and builds something else out of the pieces, I can't sue Legos for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry Hamiltown, but your assessment of Dipoto is BS. Everyone, including baseball writers, picked the Angels to at least make the playoffs. This is because Dipoto did build a winner based on the talent. The pieces are there but are being mismanaged and/or slumping.

Took all of the words right out of my mouth.

Well said mancini.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blanton was only obvious misstep that I saw by Dipto...I haven't agreed with every move but there is a logic behind them.

 

Sean Burnett:  averaged 70 games the last four seasons with a low WHIP...has a strained left forearm and has only pitched 13 games

 

Tommy Hanson:  Step-brother dies leading to a loss of significant time

 

Josh Hamilton: Lifetime .900 OPS coming off one of his best offensive seasons.  For me, the biggest concern was the DL time he incurred over the past 4 seasons as opposed to an offensive slump.  I don't know how you can predict a sub-.700 OPS?

 

Albert Pujols:  Greatest right-handed hitter of his generation who had one DL visit in his career still in his early 30's playing at a low-physical impact position in 1B. 

 

CJ Wilson:  A left-handed SP who averaged 200 innings since he became a starter coming off his best season (223.1 IP, 2.94 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, .232 BAA, 206 K) pitching half his games in one of the best hitting parks in the league. 

 

Trading Jean Segura for 3 months of Greinke:  They were still in it at the time and needed a solid starter to solidify the staff.  Fact is, with extensions for Aybar and Kendrick already inked, Segura was without a position.  You could argue that Segura could have moved to 3B but Jimenez was already entrenched there at SLC. 

 

Chris Ianetta:  Say what you want to about his average but the guy has value in terms of OBP and SLG.  Mathis wishes he could sniff Ianetta's offensive figures.

 

Just trying to put some perspective out there that, while I don't agree with every move Dipoto has done, his isn't pulling these moves out of his ass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So are we giving all of the credit for the 2000-2009 seasons on Stoneman?  I agree to a point that the GM should take the credit for a good team and take the fall for a bad one. However, they are not the ones on the field. The players are still 90% responsible for this mess.  The GM and coaching staff the other 10%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So are we giving all of the credit for the 2000-2009 seasons on Stoneman?  I agree to a point that the GM should take the credit for a good team and take the fall for a bad one. However, they are not the ones on the field. The players are still 90% responsible for this mess.  The GM and coaching staff the other 10%.

 

Which players are you refering to as being 90% of the fail, Reagins' or Dipoto's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...