• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billy Eppler appreciation thread

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I mean they did develop some great pitchers, they just traded them away for garbage. Still holding out hope that vinny pestano wears an angels hat during his HOF speech.

Did they?  It was one guy who was very pedestrian at the time of the trade. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Did they?  It was one guy who was very pedestrian at the time of the trade. 

Ok then I guess someone else developed angels cast offs. 

Are you telling me that having clevinger and Corbin in some capacity over the last 6 years wouldn’t have changed things a little?

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Ok then I guess someone else developed angels cast offs. 

Are you telling me that having clevinger and Corbin in some capacity over the last 6 years wouldn’t have changed things a little?

I forgot about Corbin. 

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

Throw in adenhart (rip but honestly have no idea what his career would have looked like) and you have at least a respectable starting rotation.

True but at the same time that Corbin trade happened over a decade ago.  And it was to acquire Haren to team up with a really good team to make a push.  If we had a team that good we’d want Perry to try to put us over the top. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

True but at the same time that Corbin trade happened over a decade ago.  And it was to acquire Haren to team up with a really good team to make a push.  If we had a team that good we’d want Perry to try to put us over the top. 

I agree. Clearly I’m speaking out of hindsight, but to the point of pitching talent it has been there to extent. 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Truly, the successful franchises develop their own pitchers.

53 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is why the Angels pitching hasn’t been good. 

I believe this is about to change with the likes of Detmers, Rodriguez and Daniel coming soon. There's a handful of others on their way as well after a couple more minor league seasons. 

The fact that Barria is just 24, Suarez is 23, Sandoval 24 and Canning is 25 that bodes well for a young rotation going forward. 

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I believe this is about to change with the likes of Detmers, Rodriguez and Daniel coming soon. There's a handful of others on their way as well after a couple more minor league seasons. 

The fact that Barria is just 24, Suarez is 23, Sandoval 24 and Canning is 25 that bodes well for a young rotation going forward. 

And have 4 or 5 of all of those pitching  prospects become solid relievers.

The bad farm system can also be blamed for the bad bullpen in the recent years.

Who is the best reliver they have developed recently....Bedrosian?

Even though the starters look better I don't see anyone that can help the bullpen other than C-Rod if they choose to put him there.

Hopefully some of the pitchers they drafted this year can help out but I doubt they will be ready to contribute next year.

15 minutes ago, rageous said:

The bad farm system can also be blamed for the bad bullpen in the recent years.

Who is the best reliver they have developed recently....Bedrosian?

Even though the starters look better I don't see anyone that can help the bullpen other than C-Rod if they choose to put him there.

Hopefully some of the pitchers they drafted this year can help out but I doubt they will be ready to contribute next year.

Its crazy that in the last decade, we havent really developed a single SP that was solid, nor (like you said) a long term RP.

Skaggs I guess (though we traded to get him back). But who else? (I might be forgetting someone)

15 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

And have 4 or 5 of all of those pitching  prospects become solid relievers.

It's amazing. 

Barria at age 21 was basically the best pitcher on Angels staff.  3.46 ERA. 122 ERA+.  

Just 21 with season like that.

His reward, demotion because they preferred Harvey, Cahill, and Stratton.

Eppler biggest F up was hiring Assmus and White (the worst pitching coach in franchise history).

Edited by stormngt

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

He had 5 freaking years with more payroll than most teams. He failed pure and simple.

so if the Angels make the playoffs this year off the backs of Ohtani, Trout, Rendon, Stassi, Sandoval, Suarez, Fletcher, Walsh, Upton, Barria, and others obtained by his predecessors then Minasian should get all the credit because he brought in Iglesias, Cobb, Cishek, Iglesias, Quintana, Watson etc.?

Teams are built and unbuilt over time.  Not from year to year.  You're so used to seeing it done that way by following the Angels that you think it's normal.  It's not.  Eppler improved this team and the franchise as a whole.  

Let's take your black and white mentality a step further.  Every year, there is only one successful GM.  Pure and simple.   

I love how payroll is used to determine whether he was good or not when so much of the payroll was determined before he took the job. All of Albert, he had 3 years of Hamilton, all of  Trout, 2 years of CJ, 2 years of Street.  On average he probably had 30 million to spend per year?  Maybe $40?  With holes in the pen, rotation, 3rd base, 2nd base, left field, catcher, oh and no farm to acquire anyone.  

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

I love how payroll is used to determine whether he was good or not when so much of the payroll was determined before he took the job. All of Albert, he had 3 years of Hamilton, all of  Trout, 2 years of CJ, 2 years of Street.  On average he probably had 30 million to spend per year?  Maybe $40?  With holes in the pen, rotation, 3rd base, 2nd base, left field, catcher, oh and no farm to acquire anyone.  

And a pitcher died.... multiple tommy johns.... shoemakers injury....

Edited by ten ocho recon scout