• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rich Waltz

nate

1 minute ago, nate said:

Angels found there guy, he is excellent. Doesn't do the fake excitement crap that Vasgersian and Sutton did. Excellent TV voice and strong knowledge. Also gets along well with Gubi.

Agree. He has been awesome and is easy to listen to. 

2 minutes ago, nate said:

Angels found there guy, he is excellent. Doesn't do the fake excitement crap that Vasgersian and Sutton did. Excellent TV voice and strong knowledge. Also gets along well with Gubi.

So far he has done a good job 

I haven't been able to watch any games lately, so I was totally expecting this thread to just say "sucks" on the inside.

I'm glad to hear people generally like him. Nate is really hard to please so his is a ringing endorsement.

Sutton wore out quick on me. At first I was thinking he was new to the job and excited and then it never settled down to a primary game announcer. Gubi was annoying enough but Sutton turned up the obnoxious to mute level. 

Waltz sounds more like a professional. We still have to put up with Gubi but at least there is a balance.

55 minutes ago, nate said:

Angels found their guy, he is excellent. Doesn't do the fake excitement crap that Vasgersian and Sutton did. Excellent TV voice and strong knowledge. Also gets along well with Gubi.

I like this guy a lot. Matt V gets to excited and makes mistakes. I did like Matt V, Holy Santa Maria call. 

9 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Ehh...For me the gold standard will always be Vin Scully so everyone else pales in comparison.

Ya Ya I know Doyers...but the man was a brilliant announcer!

Chick Hearn for the Lakers back in day was brilliant as well!

Dick Enberg, Bob Miller, and Nick Nickson too

How often does one part of the country have FOUR announcers (Scully, Hearn, Miller, and Nickson) who stayed with their team there for over 40 years at pretty much the same time?

Edited by Angel Oracle

17 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Ehh...For me the gold standard will always be Vin Scully so everyone else pales in comparison.

Ya Ya I know Doyers...but the man was a brilliant announcer!

Chick Hearn for the Lakers back in day was brilliant as well!

You mean the guy that is widely acknowledged as the greatest PBP guy ever is the gold standard?

Don't think Waltz is losing any sleep over not comparing to him, lol.

10 minutes ago, nate said:

You mean the guy that is widely acknowledged as the greatest PBP guy ever is the gold standard?

Don't think Waltz is losing any sleep over not comparing to him, lol.

Yes!

And, I have no idea.

His style is pretty solid so far…measured and even, descriptive without trying to fill the air. His actual voice itself is a little plain and generic to me though. Rojas had just a really good, distinct voice and that’s part of what I liked. A bit of that ‘radio voice’ accent without being hokey.

Vasgersian’s voice is almost *too* distinct but it’s fun having him. 

And Gubie is great. He gets a bit  excited and repetitive and winds up the dorkiness way too much at times, but when he’s insightful and in the nitty gritty he’s under appreciated, IMO.

Edited by totdprods

7 hours ago, nate said:

Angels found their guy, he is excellent. Doesn't do the fake excitement crap that Vasgersian and Sutton did. Excellent TV voice and strong knowledge. Also gets along well with Gubi.

Thanks for bringing this up. Yes I agree with you (they found their guy). Like others have mentioned, he comes off as a polished professional PBP announcer. 

14 hours ago, totdprods said:

And Gubie is great. He gets a bit  excited and repetitive and winds up the dorkiness way too much at times, but when he’s insightful and in the nitty gritty he’s under appreciated, IMO.

I appreciate that Gubi is pitching-centric.  A lot of color guys may be more well balanced and "professional" but my preference is for pitching analysis in real time and I'll overlook practically anything else as long as they're talking pitching.  It helps that Gubi isn't consumed with advanced metrics and has a more old-school approach.